PEARLS in palma?

ok ,i love pearls,and as i have read so many times palma is the right place to buy them on a west med cruise,so anyone knows the right place,and most of all the range of price?thank you.

What we saw everywhere in Palma were not real pearls, but the Majorica-type artificial pearls (which are made on the island). If that's what you're interested in, I would look for the Majorica factory tour or for an authorized Majorica dealer. We saw lots of artificial pearls, but only a few that were marked Majorica brand, and you could definitely tell the difference in quality.

Quite frankly, neither type looks exactly like a true pearl upon close inspection, but the Majorica brand was much more lustrous. I didn't seriously price them since I wasn't buying, but the off brands were very inexpensive, and some of them were pretty if you are looking for costume jewelry.

Hi Eliopia!

I was not a huge pearl fan, but when I went to Mallorca, I knew it was something that was part of their heritage and looked into it.

I ended up buying a few pieces - a ring, neacklace and pendants - for myself and as gifts.

I also bought pearls in Asia and I received a Tahiti pearl as a gift. I have to say that the Mallorca pearls lustre doesn't go away... probably because it is artificial, but it also doesn't look like the fake pearl you would buy in a Costume Jewelry store. They look very natural, and are set on 14K or white gold, or sterling silver.

There are two brands that are well known, Majorica and Orchidea. I bought Majorica only and all my pieces are like new (I bought them in 2001).

Finally, I visited both manufactures and didn't buy a thing there. I bought everything in Palma in stores, as I could get better prices there! Go figure, but that's often the case... Prices I paid there were better than buying the same piece in North America.

So, if you see something you really like, chances are you will wear it often, and you will think of your cruise everytime, so buy it!

This is an interesting site on the history of Mallorca pearls:

http://www.bestofmallorca.net/activities/trips/majorca-pearls

Cheers,

MC

Thank you for the link, it gave me an idea of what i will be looking for,by the way my sister lives in Montreal , it is a lovely place and i will be visiting her next year (of course not at winter time:)).

Hi Eliopia - I see you are from Lebanon - is this the country or the city??

There's an important Lebanese community in Montreal - we love the food!!

Montreal is MUCH nicer in the summer... I can't blame you for choosing the fair season! Have fun when you visit your sister!!

MC

I am from Lebanon the country, i know lots of lebanese live there, well half of my family at least:), i am glad you enjoyed our food . As i can see from your past cruises you have been to this part of the med, so hope next time you will visit Lebanon it is a lovely place and lots to see.Take care.

Archived