Getting into Manhatten from QM2

Sulo

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find links to it....

What is the best way to get into Manhatten when disembarking from the QM2? (we're staying at a hotel for two nights before flying home).

I just spoke to Cunard and they tell me the cost for their transportation is $70.00 per person and they have to contact London to see if it's available on our voyage.

Is there any other bus that might go into Manhatten? $140.00 for the two of us seems like a heck of a lot of money. I'm thinking perhaps a cab might even be cheaper.

Would really appreciate any ideas. There's so many knowledgeable folks on this board.

There will be yellow cabs at the Red Hook terminal where the QM2 pulls in . Get one of those , they should charge you between $40 - $50 dollars , But ask the driver for a quote before jumping in . A lot of these guys are from eastern block countries and the language barrier has lead to a few disagreements before . You will love downtown manhatten , check out the revolving resturant / bar in the Marriot Marquis in Time Square .

Cheers ...

This webpage is three years old, but still fairly accurate regarding taxi fares and other information on the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/f-bct.html

Of course the taxi fare is for both of you... and contrary to what this website says, there is no surcharge for luggage when taking a taxi :rolleyes:

A car service for two persons would probably be less than the Cunard coach transfer, be ready when you are, and of course take you precisely where you want instead of where the coach wants...

You can reserve one in advance, or there will likely be plenty at the taxi rank outside the terminal.

We spent last week in Manhattan and the taxi fare for two with baggage was $45.00 from JFK Airport to just about anywhere on the island. In looking at the map it appears that you would be about the same distance. You can "google" New York taxi fares and get some pretty good info. We are sailing from Manhattan in August of 2010. I don't know why since Brooklyn is used almost exclusively now. I assume you are going out of Brooklyn.

We spent last week in Manhattan and the taxi fare for two with baggage was $45.00 from JFK Airport to just about anywhere on the island. In looking at the map it appears that you would be about the same distance. You can "google" New York taxi fares and get some pretty good info. We are sailing from Manhattan in August of 2010. I don't know why since Brooklyn is used almost exclusively now. I assume you are going out of Brooklyn.

Are you sure you are sailing out of Manhattan? Cunard stopped using the westside piers for the QM2 three years ago as she is too large.

The new cruise terminal at Red Hook has been used ever since.

A taxi is your best bet but another thought is to sign up on board for the ship's bus that goes from the QM2 to Penn Station (7th Avenue and West 33rd Street) in Manhattan and then take a taxi from there. However, most likely it would be about the same fare as taking a taxi straight from the ship.

Last year when I got off for the "day trip to NYC!" there was a HUGE queue for taxi's but none for town cars. The town car was similarly priced, and the prius I got gave a far more comfortable ride than any yellow cab I've ever been in!

The Cunard transfers are WAAAY overpriced. Do it alone - but make sure if you want to go BACK to the Brooklyn terminal you have the directions and get IN the cab before telling them where you want to go. They can't refuse to take you if you are - I made this mistake going back and arrived at 2 mins to the closing time!!!

Are you sure you are sailing out of Manhattan? Cunard stopped using the westside piers for the QM2 three years ago as she is too large.

The new cruise terminal at Red Hook has been used ever since.

As sure as I can be at this point. After reading the postings here I have double checked with my TA and she assures me that this is what Cunard is telling her. It is also stated on my confirmation. I will recheck as the time nears just to be safe. I have also read here that there are certain scheduling conflicts with Princess at the Brooklyn facility. Thanks for asking.

Thanks everyone for your information, I really appreciate it and I knew there would be folks "in the know".

I think we will consider either a cab or the town car into Manhatten. Yes, the Cunard transfers are way overpriced. We are staying very close to Times Square so it's pretty central.

Thanks again.

Archived