Paradise Beach or Chankanaab Park

IScubaSlo

If you want a beach, then definitely go to Paradise Beach. Chankanaab doesn't really have much of one.

Snorkeling: probably better at Chankanaab, but you go down rocky steps into the water. PB has some snorkeling out by the red bouy. Experienced snorkelers aren't going to get excited about it but it was plenty for the kids to see.

As far as which is easiest to get to, they're virtually the same. Either one will require a taxi to get to.

The minuses to me for Chankanaab are the $10 per person admission fee, plus lack of a beach.

Paradise Beach only has a charge of $5 if you want to use the water toys (just to cover the maintenance costs). Definitely worth it as our kids had a blast on them. PB has much better food, plus right next door is parasailing, jet skis, etc, if you want those. You can also get a massage for $1 per minute or a fun henna tattoo (the kids loved getting those too).

When people say Chankanaab doesn't have much of a beach, you might think there's no place to sit or there are just rocks. Just to clarify, they do have chairs/palapas on the sand; it's just that, to enter the water, you walk down the stairs near the rocks. The snorkeling is great. The non-snorkelers can hang out on the "beach", take a nature walk through the replica Mayan ruins, play mini-golf, eat/drink. Yes, there is a charge, but we thought it was worth it.

We have just returned from Cozumel and went to Chankanaab and we found this to be terrific.

There is a beach for kids near the main bar and yes if you snorkel you go down a series of steps. BUT the snorkeling is great, one of the best areas we have been to. Take with you some rolls and the fish just swarm all around you.

Also very good for the kids is the dolphins and the small area showing you animals etc.

We found that the entrance fee was well worth it.

Please do not feed the fish. It is prohibited in all national park waters, which starts well north of Chankanaab and ends way, way, way south. Yes, Paradise Beach is included in that category.

Rolls are not part of the natural diet of the reef dwellers. Please remember that the reef system in Cozumel is there for all to enjoy, hopefully for many generations to come.

Thank you,

Sally

Protector of Fishies

Thanks for the info. We were just recently at Playa Del Carmen for 10 days.

My husband and I love Mexico. We are going back next year same time. We stayed at Iberostar Quetzal and thought it was absolutely beautiful...... We have scuba dived several times at Cozumel and thought it was absolutely beautiful......one of the most beautiful reefs still around. I only hope that you can keep it that way. I always get upset when I see people stepping on the reef and destroying it. I know alot of places will sell you dog food to feed the fish, is this acceptable or not? I want places in Mexico to stay just the way they are and don't want to upset the balance of nature.

Cheryl

I know some places sell fish food. It looks like dog food... maybe it is for that matter. In the protected waters of Cozumel, no one should be selling anything to feed the fish. It's prohibited. For all of you thinking, "Oh, we'll just feed them a little," I say this:

You're in a foreign country. You don't know the laws. You don't know the consequences of breaking those laws. Why would you even consider risking it?

Archived