Beginning SCUBA question

h2odad

Carnival offers a 'Beginning SCUBA' excursion in each of it's Western Caribbean Ports of Grand Cayman, Belize, Cozumel, & Isle Roatan. Has anyone experienced any of those, and have feedback?

Carnival offers a 'Beginning SCUBA' excursion in each of it's Western Caribbean Ports of Grand Cayman, Belize, Cozumel, & Isle Roatan. Has anyone experienced any of those, and have feedback?

Your best bet is to get all of your classroom and pool stuff done in your hometown and then do your open water dive in the islands.

• 2 weeks later...
Your best bet is to get all of your classroom and pool stuff done in your hometown and then do your open water dive in the islands.

Is this how I could get my open water dives in ? I was looking into the class and pool at a local dive center. Then they wanted more for the open water class.

Is this how I could get my open water dives in ? I was looking into the class and pool at a local dive center. Then they wanted more for the open water class.

The best way to do this is to get everything done before you go on your cruise except your open water dives needed for your C card.

On the off chance you find the experience unsettling, not for you, or some other reason diving does not float your boat, you will not be out an expensive resort course. You'll find out pretty quick whether or not this is for you.

Getting everything done at home will also give you the luxury of time to complete your classroom and pool exercises.

I agree with the advice you are getting. Doing the pool/study part at home will allow you to enjoy your vacation more. Doing your check out dives while on the cruise will leave you certified at the end. It will also be safer and you get more for your money. The safety issue should not be minimized.

I did this a few years back and did my check out dives on Grand Cayman and Roatan during a cruise Cozumel is fantastic diving but there is almost always a strong current. You might do this after your check out dives. I did my advanced there on a land vacation.

FYI: If you take a course at home find one that allows you to use the dive on the cruise to count for your "C" card, mine was include in the course and my dive club would not accept a dive cruise for my card, I had to do my final dives with my instructors.

Irish :cool:

FYI: If you take a course at home find one that allows you to use the dive on the cruise to count for your "C" card, mine was include in the course and my dive club would not accept a dive cruise for my card, I had to do my final dives with my instructors.

Irish :cool:

That's odd and it is the first time I've ever heard of instructors requiring students to use them for a checkout dive. It also sounds like it would be a very expensive course paying for the instructors trips.

I did a resort dive on our honeymoon. Very much enjoyed it. Was thinking about getting certified.

I would suggest you get certified then a discover scuba dive won't be as enjoyable as the certified dives and for the cost of the discover scuba you can usually do the two tank excursions.

Archived