spirit & currency changing

Think they do have...... but you will get a much better rate if you change it before you go.....I understand euros are accepted everywhere except St Petersburg...I'm sure someone that has actually been will correct me if I'm wrong!!!

We're going to the Baltic next year but with Celebrity.

Yes, we've done the Baltic trip 3 times - yes it's that good!!!!!! :D Each time we've taken Euros (M&S usually offer a good exchange rate) and never had any problems in all of the ports visited. This has included small purchases like stamps, coffees everywhere (Tallin, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Gdansk), postcards and caramelised almonds from the Hansa stall in Tallin Market Square (they're delicious!). We've used our credit card for such things as museum entrance (e.g.Vasa) and canal trips (Stockholm and Copenhagen) to save the change for small transactions.

Even in St P - the market traders and souvenir shops in will take £, $ and Euros - they just want a sale! We actually bought a guide book of the Hermitage in £ as it was cheaper than the Euro price they were asking for. The only place we came unstuck was a book shop in Nevsky Prospekt which only dealt in Roubles - this was solved by using a Mastercard - proper exchange rate and no rip-off.

I really wouldn't bother taking lots of different currency (how much of each?) and then having lots of small amounts to change back when you get home. Especially for small purchases any 'mark up' for not paying in local currency is usually not significant and better than having loads of different types of unspent currency to bring home.

Enjoy your trip - I'm sure you'll LOVE it! :)

Archived