Open Seating Reservations? Easy or Not?

ZAMOST

How easy is it to make a reservation for dinner in open seating for a party of six?

Are all times available?

Or how long would the group have to wait if we show up without a reservation?

Thanks.

(Zuiderdam, Alaska, June 20)

You can make reservations for a couple of early times (before six) and for some late times. Reservations are made daily by phone and are easy to make. You should be able to reserve for six.

If your group just shows up, you'll have to wait for a table for six to become available. I'd recommend reserving. People willing to sit with others tend to get seated first. Also turnover time is sometimes faster on two-person tables. Neither of those will help you. Six person tables come in both round and rectangular, but I don't know if you can request that.

We found it very easy on Eurodam.

We called early in the day and made reservations for the coming TWO days.

We eat early and had a table we really liked the first evening, requested it for each subsequent evening, got it every time and had good experiences and great food in the dining room throughout the cruise.

It seems most of the problems arise during the busiest dining hours, around 7:30 to 9:00PM, but that's just my observation.

We started making reservations for 2 for early dinner and before we knew it we had the same table and same servers for the rest of the cruise. We did keep calling for the reservation though. We really like to get to know our servers and have them get to know us.

On Ryndam and Oosterdam, we had open seating, never had a reservation, and never waited for a table. It worked great.

Gary

We're going to give this a try in September. As much as we've enjoyed our early upper table for two, we're looking forward to dining without a set time. I'm glad to know it worked well for you.

On Ryndam and Oosterdam, we had open seating, never had a reservation, and never waited for a table. It worked great.

Gary

That was pretty much my experience too. The only time you'll have a problem is if you want a table for two. Then you will have to reserve to get one ... and some days even with a reservation, it will be impossible for HAL to accommodate you. They only have so many two-tops and they have to be spread around fairly so that everyone gets one on occasion.

But other than that, I never even bothered with reservations and never had to wait.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita-we had better luck. We requested tables for six and two and did not have to wait for either. Problem with a bunch of the two tops is they are next to the serving station.

Gary

The only time you'll have a problem is if you want a table for two. Then you will have to reserve to get one ... and some days even with a reservation, it will be impossible for HAL to accommodate you. They only have so many two-tops and they have to be spread around fairly so that everyone gets one on occasion.

I don't believe cruiselines spread tables for two around fairly so that everyone gets one on occasion...This is my opinion only, based on 5 cruises with 3 different cruiselines with open sitting...We were always able to get a table for two by reserving at the first opportunity and accepting the times available...I agree that tables for two are limited, so in my opinion make your resevation early .

It is easy to find the table you want, call early in the day with your table number and group number to reserve it. We usually find that they will reserve it for you after a few days. If that is what you would like!

Archived