Alcohol on my Alaska cruise

Atina Reports

We are booked on an Alaska cruise in a week or so. If we want to bring our preferred brand of rum with us (almost certainly not available on board), does anyone know how do we go about getting the OK from Holland America to do so?

Hard alcohol will ususally be confiscated and returned to you when you leave the ship.

Wine and beer can be brought onboard. I've heard tell that some enterprising folks have put hard alcohol into a wine bottle and stuffed a cork in it. It got past the bloodhounds and was then consumed during said voyage.

You could call Ship's Services at 1-800-541-1576 and ask if there is an exception to the no liquor rule. Also, you could ask if they would supply your favorite rum for you. Sometimes they can be very accomodating. Give it a try and have a wonderful cruise.

Hard alcohol will ususally be confiscated and returned to you when you leave the ship.

Wine and beer can be brought onboard. I've heard tell that some enterprising folks have put hard alcohol into a wine bottle and stuffed a cork in it. It got past the bloodhounds and was then consumed during said voyage.

Can you bring beer on board? I thought just wine was allowed but I'm new to cruising so unsure. My husband is a homebrewer and I know he'd much prefer to bring his own beer if allowed.

Wine and beer can be brought onboard.

Can you bring beer on board? I thought just wine was allowed

No, beer and hard liquor are prohibited. It's wine, champagne, water, and soda that HAL allows be brought on board. The poster who said beer is allowed is incorrect.

A while back there was one poster who said beer was allowed on his cruise. But that was one report from one ship, one time only. Since then there have been no subsequent reports of beer allowed. There have been continued reports that it is not.

If you're boarding in Vancouver then the security xray of hand baggage is done by the port authority. We had a part consumed bottle of scotch (plastic 1 litre UK airport purchase) left after our pre-cruise stay in Vancouver. We would have been happy to give it up and reclaim it after the cruise. As we entered the cruise terminal there were signs saying NCL (NCL Sun was in port) did not allow alcohol to be brought on board but nothing from HAL. We were never asked about the bottle in my rucksack. G.

Archived