SWINE FLU now Officially Pandemic

MrPete

Not sure. We own a pharmacy so will have to get in some Tamiflu. It seems to respond well to that. No cases in our area. Hope our cruise out of Galveston doesn't become a "cruise to nowhere."

Elena:(

It's not the current strain that concerns me. It's what it could evolve to. Also I feel sorry for any country (S. America) going into their winter season. Warmer weather helps kill off germs. Colder weather helps it spread easier.

Hopefully they don't close everything down including the cruise industry for this. (Getting married on the Carnival Miracle in July).. But I would understand if they did.

I'm not sure why people are seeing this so negatively except they think it may cause panic???

The term is not going to cause the virus to spread any quicker or slower.

But it will cause the CDC to issue (which they have) to drug companies to start the vaccination, which WILL end this much sooner.

They did stop people from cruising to mexico because it seemed to be concentrated in higher numbers there, but it's now spreading all over, they aren't just going to stop cruises everywhere, so not sure why people would think this will have an effect on where they get to cruise to???

Not trying to argue but only to gain insight to others opinions, why is seen as a negative here?

JMO, Carole

I'm not sure why people are seeing this so negatively except they think it may cause panic???

But it will cause the CDC to issue (which they have) to drug companies to start the vaccination, which WILL end this much sooner.

They did stop people from cruising to mexico because it seemed to be concentrated in higher numbers there, but it's now spreading all over, they aren't just going to stop cruises everywhere, so not sure why people would think this will have an effect on where they get to cruise to???

Not trying to argue but only to gain insight to others opinions, why is seen as a negative here?

JMO, Carole

Right now, I'm not overly concerned about the swine flu. I see this negatively for the simple fact that if this mutates any further and it carries over into the colder months, it's setting our world up for some trouble.

Mexico shut public places (schools, theatres, restaurants, etc) down to prevent this from spreading further. I bet at some point this will happen for the U.S. as well. I hope I'm wrong though.

I think it's a very good thing, they'll get to work on a vaccination for this strain of flu. It's a good thing in my eyes.

Carole

How about teaching people how to boost their immune systems so they stand a better chance of naturally fighting off the virus!:)

JMO, Carole

Totally agree!

Mexico shut public places (schools, theatres, restaurants, etc) down to prevent this from spreading further. I bet at some point this will happen for the U.S. as well. I hope I'm wrong though.

They did close down schools in Calif. during the Mexico closures..........

Hummm... so??

Is ANYONE here gonna change travel plans because of this? Probably not...

No one would have changed their plans if the CDC hadn't warned against 'unnecessary travel' to Mexico...

Much ado about nothing...

:rolleyes:

I have no plans of changing any of my travel plans (land or cruise). I didn't change my plans the last cruise. Carnival changed them for me. It was OK with me. I don't care where the boat goes once I get on board. As long as I'm cruisen and not at work.;)

Mach, you always seem to have a keen insite to all this stuff. Thank you for your input.

Hummm... so??

No one would have changed their plans if the CDC hadn't warned against 'unnecessary travel' to Mexico...

I agree!

i work in Long Island City- Part of NYC in the borough of Queens.. I ride that sardine can they call the 7 subway.. (its an L for the most part in Queens).. Most of the Swine Flu cases here have been in NYC...

My daily plans are not changing.. why would I change a vacation!!

:)

Hummm... so??

Much ado about nothing?:confused: I doubt the families of people that have died would share your cavalier attitude.

I reviewed a number of different travel insurance plans over the last couple of weeks. MANY exempt coverage in the event of a PANDEMIC. Now that the swine flu has been declared a PANDEMIC, I suggest you check your coverage on insuremytrip.com or with your cruiseline. On Carnival, their medical coverage does not exempt swine flu, but it is secondary coverage. This translates to my primary insurance company gets billed and THEN Carnival's insurance carrier pays. Also, the maximum coverage amount was very low. insuremytrip.com has a link that specifically compares swine flu coverage. I went with Travelex. All this is very important because Medicare and many HMOs do not provide coverage outside the US and those plans that do often have a high international deductable.

Mach, you always seem to have a keen insite to all this stuff. Thank you for your input.

I do believe this was the poster that said this would NEVER reach pandemic. All he would need is ONE person in his family to have died from this, and I'm sure his attitude would change.

My daily plans are not changing.. why would I change a vacation!!

:)

You may not, but "they" may still. There was an RCCL ship refused two port stops in the Caribbean in the last couple of days.

Much ado about nothing?:confused: I doubt the families of people that have died would share your cavalier attitude.

144 pig flu deaths vs up to 500,000 deaths each year from ordinary flu would tend to support there is nothing extraordinary about this pig flu.

If pig flu is pandemic, what does that make ordinary flu?

I don't think WHO could find their butt with both hands and a map.

144 pig flu deaths vs up to 500,000 deaths each year from ordinary flu would tend to support there is nothing extraordinary about this pig flu.

If pig flu is pandemic, what does that make ordinary flu?

I don't think WHO could find their butt with both hands and a map.

I don't see anywhere that I was suggesting this was worse than the regular flu season. My only point was that I think it is a little insensitive to the families of those that have died to state that it is much ado about nothing. If you feel diffferent, so be it.

I don't see anywhere that I was suggesting this was worse than the regular flu season. My only point was that I think it is a little insensitive to the families of those that have died to state that it is much ado about nothing. If you feel diffferent, so be it.

Then we should not discuss cruising because lord knows there have been a few jumpers lately....:rolleyes::p

Archived