Hotel in Budapest

MrsDave

No, when I went to Budapest I stayed in an absolutely wonderful B&B, the Kapital Inn. If you get no responses, you may want to go to tripadvisor.com and read the reviews for these two Hiltons.

I have been by both of them, and they looked fine, but when I travel, I try to avoid chain hotels.

We are spending a couple of days in Budapest..the choice is...The Budapest Hilton in the Castle District...or...The Budapest Hilton West End...

Anyone have any experience??

Thanks,

Tina

Tina - We stayed at the Buda Hilton at the start of our first Danube cruise (AMA Christmas Markets 12/06), and at the Sofitel in Pest at the start of our AMA Black Sea Discovery cruise in 10/07. Some pros and cons:

The Buda Hilton is built into the ruins of the old castle on hilly Buda just North of St. Matthias, Fishermen's Bastion, and the National Museum. Its lower levels link to some really neat ruins. The late afternoon view of Parliament from Fishermen's Bastion (sun at your back) is spectacular and most tours instead do a morning visit to the Castle District. The Hilton staff was excellent.

The Hilton is located quite far from this town's excellent Metro system which mainly serves the Pest side. Our second trip we were able to easily get to the Szechenyi baths (wonderful), the Opera, Hero's Square, Andrassy Blvd, Liszt Academy - all within a block of a Metro stop. Vaci Utca shopping and most dining and cultural options are within walking distance of most hotels in Pest.

If you use the Search function you will find lots of discussion about non-chain hotels in Pest as well as reviews by me and others.

WIT

Archived