New to Carnival - ? on Spirit Balconies

I just received a quote from my T/A for a cruise on the Carnival Spirit to Alaska next year for a balcony guarantee which is a full $1200 less than my currently booked OV cabin on Princess! My question - I requested a unobstructed balcony. Are there obstructed balconies on the Spirit? Would I be safer requesting an assigned balcony? I wanted the lowest priced option as this is an "extra" cruise for me next year. However, I still want an unobstructed view and a great cruise experience for my daughter & myself. Any other suggestions for a first time Carnival Cruiser?

The standard balcony guarantee now includes category 7A, which is the obstructed view balconies. If you want to ensure a non-obstructed view, you would need to have an 8A guarantee or just choose your own location. Not sure if an 8A guarantee is any cheaper than an assigned 8A, but with the guarantee, there is a better chance of a small upgrade.

I just received a quote from my T/A for a cruise on the Carnival Spirit to Alaska next year for a balcony guarantee which is a full $1200 less than my currently booked OV cabin on Princess! My question - I requested a unobstructed balcony. Are there obstructed balconies on the Spirit? Would I be safer requesting an assigned balcony? I wanted the lowest priced option as this is an "extra" cruise for me next year. However, I still want an unobstructed view and a great cruise experience for my daughter & myself. Any other suggestions for a first time Carnival Cruiser?

First, I like to know for what week you are going? I am planning to go on August 3rd 2010.

The Spirit has the old Cat. 5a cabins which are blocked by Lifeboats on the Main Deck. Those are not Balconies but do have a Door (French Doors) and some do open. There is a rail right outside of the door so you can not go out.

The Spirit also have the old Cat. 7a Balconies. These you can go out but the TOP of the Lifeboat is either Flush with the balcony floor or it could go over the floor by 2 feet. So you can look out, Left or Right but when you look downward, there is the Lifeboat.

A Balcony that is not Blocked or Obstructed is any Cat. 8a and up.

Fred

:DDh and I have a 7A balcony on the Spirit in Oct,from what I understand the obstruction is the top of the lifeboat,you can`t see down,but you can see straight out.Someone correct me if I`m wrong,but this is what I have read here on CC;)

:DDh and I have a 7A balcony on the Spirit in Oct,from what I understand the obstruction is the top of the lifeboat,you can`t see down,but you can see straight out.Someone correct me if I`m wrong,but this is what I have read here on CC;)

Just what I wrote above.

Fred

Thank you. I think we will stick with an 8A or above - still a better deal than Princess by a long shot. I have e-mailed my TA and am waiting for a reply. Since we are booking an early savers rate I want to be sure in my choice!

Wennfred - Thank you for posting the picture. That really helped clarify the 7A & 8A difference.:)

We are looking at the July 6, 2010 sailing.:cool:

Thank you. I think we will stick with an 8A or above - still a better deal than Princess by a long shot. I have e-mailed my TA and am waiting for a reply. Since we are booking an early savers rate I want to be sure in my choice!

Wennfred - Thank you for posting the picture. That really helped clarify the 7A & 8A difference.:)

We are looking at the July 6, 2010 sailing.:cool:

Cool, hope you have a great time and post a review of the places and Excursions you have done.

Fred

Hi Fred,

we have booked 7-14 September 2010

We have category 8A 4219

its at Aft end of ship and Laundry appears to be around corner opposite the 4228 aft cabin

We used our 50% off and had a credit from cancelling our Carnival Paradise cruise after swine flu episode,

With our Taxes , Govt charges and Gratuities our final payment due June 2010 is US $536- just under a grand NZ money

We looked into getting a Category 8I cabin - Absolute AFT but it was going to cost us US $600 more - even with our 50% discount.

Are you going with the others on the Dream Team- with Randy?

I am excited about this cruise as I have also booked time share weeks in Whistler and also at Radium Valley Hot Springs so with a rental car we will get a good look at BC Canada- throughout September 2010

Sunny AZ Girl

We Came to same conclusion as you,

I wanted as cheap as possible with balcony but NOT a 7A-don't fancy looking at a life boat

so as I said to FRED we now have 8A category

we are only on deck 4 and I would have preferred higher- midship but I think its an early saver rate where they assign cabin from category picked

We have 4 219, Main deck -rear end

We are already going to MExico next year so with two lots of long haul flights I also wanted a cheap as possible as we are only doing Alaskan cruise in 2010 to use up Cruise credits and 50% off offer resulting from our not so great Swine Flu cruise (NOT TO MEXICO)

It looks like we will be going with a 8A, also. I am changing the date to July 13 as it works best for my work schedule. DD is a teacher, so we also have to work around her time off, also. This will be beautiful! I just have to hear back from my TA now as to our cabin assignment. I also like the full aft views but am watching the $$$ on this one. I figure that any balcony is sooo much better than the OV we originally had.;)

Congrats on your great value cruise. I will be paying a bit more, but have a similar deal because of VISA points on my upcoming Radiance of the Seas cruise. Isn't it nice when you get to cash in?:D

Yes - I'd preferred to cash in in 2011 but we have a time limit on using these credits

It will be a stretch as we had already booked timeshare weeks for Mexico April/May

and two long haul overseas holidays in 1 year will be a stretch on my accounting skills - or as it is LACK OF THEM:D

Have a GOOD CRUISE

We had one of 7A balconies on the Carnival Spirit in February. The top of the lifeboat is even with the floor of the balcony. The front three lifeboats on the ship also have a gondola sticking up which would be above the balcony floor but not all the way across.

We had one of the 7A balconies that was between the lifeboats so we could also see down to the water.

It felt like a normal balcony to me and saved us a bunch of money.

Mark

We had one of 7A balconies on the Carnival Spirit in February. The top of the lifeboat is even with the floor of the balcony. The front three lifeboats on the ship also have a gondola sticking up which would be above the balcony floor but not all the way across.

We had one of the 7A balconies that was between the lifeboats so we could also see down to the water.

It felt like a normal balcony to me and saved us a bunch of money.

Mark

Thanks for that,

I 'm not going to bug my TA anymore but thats worth Knowing,

My Husband and both wondered about what they would be like

Archived