Island Escape

Hi Poppy and Janet,

We were on the Escape last year and I've put quite a bit of stuff on the Island Cruises Forum. Including the drinks on the All Inclusive list ...Hic!!

Yes we had hairdryers, safes in the cabins.

We had a balcony cabin last time (Special for DW's 50th). But the cabin itself inside was the same as normal cabins.

After just coming back from a Royal Caribbean cruise the cabins on the Escape were a little smaller but we hardly spent any time in them anyway. Too busy having fun.

The main thing I'd reccomend about cabins is get an outside so you can see daylight. We had a peep in the inside cabins on the RCI ship and even though they were the same size as ours they looked very gloomy with no daylight.

Even though we enjoyed the RCI cruise we know which one we preferred and are looking forward to being back on the Escape in December with our sons.

If you need anymore please don't hesitate to ask. My email is berwynthomas@aol.com .

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn:)

Thanks for that. We've booked an outside cabin on deck 6. We usually have an outside cabin on any of the ships as we do like a bit of natural light and to see where we've docked when we wake up. Mind you, some of the places have been a bit of an eye opener initially:eek:

We're used to small cabins as we've been on the Destiny 3 times, but it's never bothered us as we spend very little time in there.

What type of adaptors does the Escape have as I will probably take my own hair dryer as it's quite small and won't weigh a lot.

We've got a free AI upgrade. Do they have the yummy cocktails included same as on Destiny.:rolleyes:

Probably think of lots of other things before we go.

Regards

Janet

Hi Janet,

They have the Foreign 2 pin adaptors. (I'm sure they were the U.S. flat pin ones.) A bit hazy with the memory after this time and just got back from RCI cruise and they had both Flat and round 2 pins in the cabin.

The adaptor sets we bought have both and I take both types anyway.

Yes they have the cocktails but the alchohlic ones are not on the A.I. list apart from 1 per day.

I did a full list of what's included over on the Island Cruises board.

Hang on and I'll post the link in here for you. I take it Thomsons wont have changed things much since taking full control of the ship.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn:)

Thanks for that. We've booked an outside cabin on deck 6. We usually have an outside cabin on any of the ships as we do like a bit of natural light and to see where we've docked when we wake up. Mind you, some of the places have been a bit of an eye opener initially:eek:

We're used to small cabins as we've been on the Destiny 3 times, but it's never bothered us as we spend very little time in there.

What type of adaptors does the Escape have as I will probably take my own hair dryer as it's quite small and won't weigh a lot.

We've got a free AI upgrade. Do they have the yummy cocktails included same as on Destiny.:rolleyes:

Probably think of lots of other things before we go.

Regards

Janet

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=969624

There's the A.I. list from last year for you.

WE had some of the non- alchoholic ones and they were nice too.

I know what you mean about light. We had a peep in some of the inside cabins across the corridor to us this month and even with the light on they looked gloomy.

I'll be able to let you know properly if Thomsons have done any chages to her after we've been in December. But looking at the brochure and the pics on the website and the videos they had on Thomsons T.V. on Sky.

it doesn't look like it.

Berwyn

Hi Janet,

They have the Foreign 2 pin adaptors. (I'm sure they were the U.S. flat pin ones.) A bit hazy with the memory after this time and just got back from RCI cruise and they had both Flat and round 2 pins in the cabin.

The adaptor sets we bought have both and I take both types anyway.

Yes they have the cocktails but the alchohlic ones are not on the A.I. list apart from 1 per day.

I did a full list of what's included over on the Island Cruises board.

Hang on and I'll post the link in here for you. I take it Thomsons wont have changed things much since taking full control of the ship.

Berwyn

Only one kind of alcoholic cocktail in the AI per day!!!:eek: Oh 'eck! I hope they have changed and come on board with Thomson's policy on that one - Destiny and Spirit didn't have as comprehensive a list as Celebration - but they had lots of different cocktails to choose from perhaps more than a couple of dozen on Celebration! I wouldn't be very happy with an AI which didn't include cocktails - it's all part of the fun trying them all - but not all at once!!!! ;)

Only one kind of alcoholic cocktail in the AI per day!!!:eek: Oh 'eck! I hope they have changed and come on board with Thomson's policy on that one - Destiny and Spirit didn't have as comprehensive a list as Celebration - but they had lots of different cocktails to choose from perhaps more than a couple of dozen on Celebration! I wouldn't be very happy with an AI which didn't include cocktails - it's all part of the fun trying them all - but not all at once!!!! ;)

You'd be flat on your back HIc...:D.

Unless anyone can come up with a revised list before, I'll let you know in December when we've been.

It didn't bother us much as we don't drink cocktails, just used to drink the non alchoholic ones in between the wine to spread it out so didn't get tipsy too quickly.

Berwyn

Hi Kruzseeka

I'm like you with regards to the cocktails. I tried nearly every one on the list on the Destiny over the 2 weeks and then used to have my favourites more regularly. I'm mean you can't stick to the same one all the time can you!!!!!:confused:

Let's hope the Island Escape changes to some of the Thomson ways before I go in July next year.

Janet

Berwyn,

We too are thinking of going on the Island Escape in January on the colourful coasts trip. We went on Ocean Village Two earlier this year and it was great, but we like to keep ourselves to ourselves and worried about the dining facilities. Appreciate it if you could advise with what the set up is with the 2 more casual restaurants.

We'll be out at port all day, so apart from the sea day we would only be having breakfast and evening meal, however the review on this site mentions there are really large tables and hardly any for 2 people. Would we be able to have a meal by ourselves or would we have to share with other people?

Also I thought I read somewhere that plates and cups were plastic but can't find the link where I read that.

Finally, are there any quiet areas of the ship we could go to keep away from the masses?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Andy

Berwyn,

We too are thinking of going on the Island Escape in January on the colourful coasts trip. We went on Ocean Village Two earlier this year and it was great, but we like to keep ourselves to ourselves and worried about the dining facilities. Appreciate it if you could advise with what the set up is with the 2 more casual restaurants.

We'll be out at port all day, so apart from the sea day we would only be having breakfast and evening meal, however the review on this site mentions there are really large tables and hardly any for 2 people. Would we be able to have a meal by ourselves or would we have to share with other people?

Also I thought I read somewhere that plates and cups were plastic but can't find the link where I read that.

Finally, are there any quiet areas of the ship we could go to keep away from the masses?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Both the Main Dining Room and the Beachcomber 24 hour buffet are quite relaxed.

In the beachcomber it's the usual thing find a table and then go and get your food. So you can sit on your own as a couple.

The Dining Room is also buffet style and only differs in the fact that you turn up when you want at dinner time and someone will show you to your seat at a table and that is your place for the meal. These tables are bigger and seat about 8 people. then you go to fetch your food from the buffet.

The only waiter service you get is the drinks waiter asking if you want a drink.

We are like you and tend not to mix too much. But we got on fine on the 3 nights we ate in Main Dining Room. Met some nice people, but never ate with same ones twice.

(We had a cabin on deck9 right under Beachcomber and it was out the door and up 1 flight of stairs to it. Lazy **** we were :D)

The mugs in the Beachcomber are melamine, but I'm sure we had proper crockery in MDR.

But it was the same last month on Royal Caribbean. The plates, bowls and mugs in the Buffet restaurant were melamine too. I suppose it's safer as people take them out on the open deck and part of the Beachcomber is outside.

For quiet and great views, we used to sit in the early evenings in the Lookout, right up the top. Has wrap round panoramic windows and great for seeing the scenery go by. We seemed to spend ages up there in the evenings before the nois of the disco started late evening.

For mugs, we bought those travel mugs you can buy in ASDA or elsewhere with lids. They hold more than the ship's mugs and a safe way for getting tea / coffee to your room if you want a drink early morning.

Any more you need to know just ask, no problem.

Berwyn

Thanks Berwyn.

The main dining room would be out for us then as we don't like eating with anyone else at all as we are fussy eaters and would be quite conscious but the beachcomber sounds fine for us then.

I take it the beachcomber has the same type of food as the main dining room, such as soups, salads, main meals, desserts etc?

Thanks for all your help.

Andy

Thanks Berwyn.

The main dining room would be out for us then as we don't like eating with anyone else at all as we are fussy eaters and would be quite conscious but the beachcomber sounds fine for us then.

I take it the beachcomber has the same type of food as the main dining room, such as soups, salads, main meals, desserts etc?

Thanks for all your help.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes both were similar and they did special nights there too. Italian, Chinese, Indian.

Also most tables were for 4 people and once you'd sat down no one else came to sit with you.

Quality of food is the same.

And if you're there in the afternoons they do a lovely proper British afternoon tea.

Berwyn

Are there hairdryers in the cabins? No, but you can take your own (not very powerfull) or you can "rent" one from guest relations. But it is first come first served !

Are there safes in the cabins? you can pay £14 a week for a safe in your cabin. they have recently been upgraded to electronic ones

Any 'recommended' decks/cabins Outsied or balcony cabis, deffornatly need a window at least , makes all the difference, decks 5,6,7 are the best. least disturbed and least vibrations from the engin!

Any hints/tips etc., welcomed......The staff are amazing and very helpful, expect a very good time and book as early as possible to take advantage of the free drinks packages !

• 3 months later...

Hello yall we had our honeymoon on the island and thoroughly enjoined it in 2002 since then we have been on Ocean village a few times,but they are moving on next year (sob sob),so we are coming back to the island.We did find the cabins small and basic back then we were hoping that there would be some changes,but reading the reveiws this dosen't seem to be the case.Its the tea making facilities we will miss especially first thing in the morning so we are thinking of taking our own,hope this wont be a problem!many thanx

Hi Poppy and Janet,

We were on the Escape last year and I've put quite a bit of stuff on the Island Cruises Forum. Including the drinks on the All Inclusive list ...Hic!!

Yes we had hairdryers, safes in the cabins.

We had a balcony cabin last time (Special for DW's 50th). But the cabin itself inside was the same as normal cabins.

After just coming back from a Royal Caribbean cruise the cabins on the Escape were a little smaller but we hardly spent any time in them anyway. Too busy having fun.

The main thing I'd reccomend about cabins is get an outside so you can see daylight. We had a peep in the inside cabins on the RCI ship and even though they were the same size as ours they looked very gloomy with no daylight.

Even though we enjoyed the RCI cruise we know which one we preferred and are looking forward to being back on the Escape in December with our sons.

If you need anymore please don't hesitate to ask. My email is berwynthomas@aol.com .

Berwyn

As you don't tend to spend much time in the cabins Why not just put on the TV with the front camera showing whats going on.

As you don't tend to spend much time in the cabins Why not just put on the TV with the front camera showing whats going on.

Personally we find with a window/ porthole you get an instant idea of the time of day that helps keep your body orientated.

And we couldn't get a balcony on an inside cabin :D.

Berwyn

• 2 weeks later...

its been fab reading all your informative posts. I now know to bring my own hair dryer, as on the destiny i just use the in cabin one. I'll make sure i pack both european and us adaptors, just to be on the safe side. Many thanks

Archived