European River Cruises without guided tours?

brownmik

Wurzburg is 1:20 by train and Heidelberg 1:00 so both work for getting to FRA for our 11:20 am flight. I will do more research and see which appeals and perhaps do both.

I love Munich! Last year we hired a driver and went to Linderhof and then Fussen and drove through some other very pretty areas. On one day we took an early train to Garmisch and had a lovely day there so I am definitely interested in Mittenwald. On other trips I visited Dachau and the Deutsches Museum and generally just explored the different areas of the city. I very much enjoy Bavaria.

So I will post a message for you if we make it to Munich - would love a local perspective!

I didn´t check Heidelberg. I thought it´s a bit farther away. But with a one hour train ride you can make it as a day trip out of Frankfurt too.

Seems like you´ve seen pretty much of Munich and more :D. Salzburg would definitely be a nice day trip. So is Lake Chiemsee.

You´re welcome! DH´s email is on any of our websites.

steamboats

My wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary by cruising the Moldau and Elbe Rivers from Prague to Potsdam on Peter Deilmann’s (http://www.deilmann-cruises.com/) MV Katharina von Bora. The Katharina was refurbished in 2006, carries only 79 passengers in 41 cabins and has two levels of cabins plus a sun deck. Recommend the staterooms on her upper deck that have full-length French doors that open into your cabin with nice views of the river.

We thought the cabins were of only a decent size until we saw another river boat’s rooms and decided the rooms were actually spacious. The room comes with three built-in closets, small desk, shower and toilet, television, telephone and four-channel radio. Bedding was a European-style duvet with feather pillows.

The staff were pleasant, professional and outstanding in everyway. The make up of the passengers was 50% German speaking, 50% English speaking (mostly Americans). The age was mostly 60+. We just turned 50 and felt pretty young which isn’t such a bad thing. The only caution is that the nightly live entertainment is tailored to the 65-75 age group.

The food and wine was extraordinary. All the tours had both English and German speaking tour guides. The tour of Meissen and Wittenberg were excellent. PURCHASE TOURS WHILE BOOKING TO SAVE $$$.

I have been recommending this line without hesitation to friends and family.

Archived