News: fire on Royal Princess right now - muster stations!

CaptainKevin

Just a little more insight...I know it's been a few days since the Royal Princess fire, but to be honest, I have not really been able to address it. I am finally able to sit down and write about it.

.....(content omitted here)

I am SO HAPPY to be home, but I want to mention something else. Remember how "strong" I felt I needed to be? Well...the very first moment that I was alone (in a bathroom at some airport), without warning, I started to cry. I just broke down and let it flow. I know now that I was more affected by these events than I thought. It's going to take some time, but that's ok. I am here, I'm ok, and I'm grateful for that.

IMHO...ahem...everyone does the best they can do at the time that they do it. As a whole, the crew on the Royal were wonderful. As a whole, the passengers took it pretty good. I'm sure there were things that happened that I am unaware of, but I can only speak from my personal experience.

Thank you all for listening and allowing me to get it all out!

kmakhak, thank you so much for sharing this difficult experience and your very mature and human reaction to it.

There have been crises in my family's lives where I have had to hold it together until the crisis was over - and had exactly the same reaction as you. What you did was very brave, although you may not realize it.

We'll be on the Royal Princess next April in the Caribbean. I am glad to hear you speak so highly of the crew. I hope your next vacations are peaceful and refreshing.

Bob

Wow Wow Wow. Thank you so much for posting your experiences on this cruise. I really hope that I can be as calm as Pastor Greg, but no one knows how you will react in that type of situation. I really feel for everyone that was on that cruise. Kmakhak and Robin, wow. I couldn't even imagine having to deal with these circumstances with young kids either. I also could not even fathom being in a smoke filled room nor in a dark theatre - for that long - with no ventilation.

I need to have my husband read these threads so he can see what reality would be like in certain unfortunate circumstances on a cruise ship. He tends to handle bad situations badly. I tend to try and make the best of a bad situation.

We are avid cruisers, and have never had anything like this happen to us on a cruise so far. Unfortunately, we did witness two crew deaths on a Celebrity Cruise several years ago, and we were shaken to the core for several months after that incident. At that time, we had alot of questions concerning safety training on cruise ships. Oh well, not to ramble.

Thanks again for sharing these experiences.

Patti

I suspect it was a direct result of the Star Princess fire that a care team system was set up, or at least improved upon from what was already in place. A case of lessons learned from experiences after Star Princess.

That is right, it was set up as a result of the 2006 incident. Most of the care team deployed in the case of the royal fire came from the UK offices although several from the us as well......princess was able to get them there more quickly form the uk office than the los angeles office, obviously.

Archived