Princess Railtour Dining in AK

Greg3322

Hello - the family and I will be taking a cruisetour in Alaska late August. Can anyone give me an idea of the meals on board the Princess railcars - what there is to offer and prices? We'll be traveling with a 4 and 6 year old, so food is a concern.

Thanks!

Greg

You won't believe this but I took a menu from the rail car by mistake! We just go home from our Alaskan adventure last week.

Here goes:

Breakfast:

Alaskan Continental $8

Croissant Breakfast Sandwich $7

Sausage, Egg and Cheese Bagel Sandwich $7

Fruit and Yogurt Bowl $7

Denali Cinnamon Roll $5

Lunch:

Wild Alaskan Smoked Salmon Chowder $8

Italian Sandwich $10

Smoked Turkey Club $9

Eggplant Pomodoro $8

Italian Salad $8

Dessert:

Baby Cakes Cheese Cake $5

Ice Cream $3

Then the normal drinks and cocktails and "specialty" cocktails.

I am not sure if they had a separate kids menu.

Have fun! Alaska is gorgeous!!

The food was good but expensive. I remember things like chili, salads, sandiwiches, etc. The train trip is great, but long and for kids that young I would certainly bring things to keep them occupied, as I expect that looking at scenery will only keep them busy for so long!

Another food tip-I would strongly suggest traveling throughout the cruisetour armed with a supply of snacks-prepackaged crackers, cookies, etc. You will have it all when you need it, and believe me, if you try to buy things like that in Alaska it will be 50-100% more than at home, assuming you can find it (I don't remember any grocery or convenience stores within a walk of any of the lodges).

You won't believe this but I took a menu from the rail car by mistake! We just go home from our Alaskan adventure last week.

Here goes:

Breakfast:

Alaskan Continental $8

Croissant Breakfast Sandwich $7

Sausage, Egg and Cheese Bagel Sandwich $7

Fruit and Yogurt Bowl $7

Denali Cinnamon Roll $5

Lunch:

Wild Alaskan Smoked Salmon Chowder $8

Italian Sandwich $10

Smoked Turkey Club $9

Eggplant Pomodoro $8

Italian Salad $8

Dessert:

Baby Cakes Cheese Cake $5

Ice Cream $3

Then the normal drinks and cocktails and "specialty" cocktails.

I am not sure if they had a separate kids menu.

Big question: How much is coffee? :D

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed!

Greg

The food was good but expensive. I remember things like chili, salads, sandiwiches, etc. The train trip is great, but long and for kids that young I would certainly bring things to keep them occupied, as I expect that looking at scenery will only keep them busy for so long!

Another food tip-I would strongly suggest traveling throughout the cruisetour armed with a supply of snacks-prepackaged crackers, cookies, etc. You will have it all when you need it, and believe me, if you try to buy things like that in Alaska it will be 50-100% more than at home, assuming you can find it (I don't remember any grocery or convenience stores within a walk of any of the lodges).

Thank you for the good advise. We'll bring a lot of snacks (and when they are gone, we'll have room for souviners!) and things to keep them busy. Luckily, both are very good travelers and experinced cruisers and even are vetern train travelers. They'll watch out the window for an hour straight just on the chance they'll see some animals.

Thanks,

Greg

I would definitely bring your own food. Depending on your own preferences, the prices are reasonable. As you can see from the menu, your options are limited unless you like fish. By the end of the trip I was tired of it. The portions were not that big as I would compare the quality and size of the old airline food of many years ago. We ended up not finishing our meal as they were having electrical problems in our dining car and all the lights went out and the car became extremely warm. They should offer a larger selection of sandwiches that would appeal to kids.

and it is still less expensive than a simple breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast and coffee in Atlantic City, Atlantic County, New Jersey..!

That simple breakfast with no, not as good service is $17.95 *YIKES*

Alaska at least you have quality services and surroundings.. too...eh...:cool:

Look at that, just like Sox Fan Cruiser a menu made it's way into my bag. ) These are from 2005 - notice how I remembered to include the all important bar menu. :)

3471037320_9ff02f9537.jpg?v=03471037392_43013704c0.jpg?v=12405800663470221841_5b63599d53.jpg?v=0

Greg,

I also took our children on a 12 hour train trip when they were your children's ages. It was great fun!! Apart from books, crayons and the other things, I took 12 tiny wrapped (that was the key, wrapped) toys. When the big hand got on the 12, out popped a tiny box. There was no talk of "you gotta be good", they just popped out of my bag. They just were good.

Recently I have seen individually sold animals in various stores, about 2-4 inches each. They cost .99 to about 3.00. They make a marvelous start to stories and imagination. If you focus on animals they may see, they could start charts and groupings. Animal bingo. Camoflage (sp??) the animal. The list is endless. Make it an adventure.

Most of all, enjoy these days. Sometimes when you wonder if you will ever have time alone again, you do get it. Then you blink and they are in their 20's. I admire how you are showing them the country and sharing the great adventure with them. You sound like a wonderful dad.

My kids enjoyed the dining on the Princess rail cars; our youngest was only 5 when we did this (in '04). We felt that it was a relaxing way to travel, as the kids were able to walk around a bit, and loved going to the dining car for meals. We also thought that the booth style seating was perfect for families...we brought cards and games, and the time really flew! Enjoy the adventure, as they do grow up quickly.

Greg,

I also took our children on a 12 hour train trip when they were your children's ages. It was great fun!! Apart from books, crayons and the other things, I took 12 tiny wrapped (that was the key, wrapped) toys. When the big hand got on the 12, out popped a tiny box. There was no talk of "you gotta be good", they just popped out of my bag. They just were good.

Great idea!

Archived