Belize horse drawn carriage ride

TACMS

Has anyone done the horse drawn carriage ride in Belize (approximately 2 hours for $59?)...

I have read that you can go outside the gates and hire someone to take you around. Do they take you to the same places (along the ocean, etc?) Any advice would be welcomed. We are on the Enchantment on August 17 and have never been to Belize. Just looking for something low keyed...

Thanks

OK, I just realized that I can't post a review, so I am going to expand on this a little more for you. We couldn't cave tube because of the weather, so we were searching for something acceptible to do w/ 2 kids. We were leary of the streets outside of the gates because they looked sketchy, but I had read a positive review about the horse drawn carriages and decided to go with it. They first said $20 each, then $10, but finally got juakeim (sp?) down to $30 for family of 4. Buggy broke down and we had to walk about 5 mins, but I still felt as though I got my money's worth. Since he was out of business for the day, he offered to walk us to a local restaraunt for lunch (which we mentioned wanting to do). We bought his lunch in exchange. 3 meals, 3 sodas and 2 waters plus tip came to around $20 US. As it turns out, Samantha Brown from the Travel Channel had visited here (poster on wall w/ pics). It was yummy! Some areas are questionable, but I felt safe w/ him as my guide. All the horse guys work for the same boss, but can take cuts in their share in order to haggle w/ customers. Needless to say, if they do a good job, tips are appropriate.

Kathi: What did you see on this tour? What did he offer to cover for the 2 hour tour vs. the one hour that you actually took? Also, there will be 4 adults in my group, can we all fit in one carriage or will we need two?

• 1 year later...

Last April we walked outside the gate to find our "own" way. We were greeted by a nice guy with a three shoed horse and a buggy made on a car suspension. We are both retired Marines and have no problems with new adventures so for 20 bucks we hopped in and enjoyed a tour of the city that was unique from any bus tour I assure you. Old city, poor neighborhoods, but people who were decent and doing the best they could with what they had to do it with. Our guide and I talked about the Belieze military, their being the only country in that part of the world where English or a form of English is the primary language, and enjoyed the city in and the sights it had to offer. We made stops at the oldest church in the city, the old American Embassy, several nunneries, (is that a word), and finally back at our starting point 90 minutes or so later. The guide was informative and we felt comfortable the entire time. After returning we went to the hotel you must pass to get back to the boats and had a very nice lunch.....and fed the only cat I saw on the entire trip. They take dollars but your change will be in Believe dollars so be aware.

Do it....you will enjoy the sights, sounds and yes...smells of the city!

Archived