Rental Cars in Hawai

helpme

Could anyone please advise me on which islands to rent a car. We are on the 11night Wind cruise in March. Hubby is wanting to get it booked now so we wont have a problem when we get there. Should we get one on all of the islands or is there one which we can just walk around and close to a beach and not bother renting as it may be cheaper getting a taxi.

I spent my time in the U.S. Army in Hawaii plus several visits. I would suggest that you get a car. The car rentals have shuttle service from the piers to their locations. Hertz, much to my surprise, seems to be very competitive in pricing.

Much cheaper than using ship tours. Walking around will limit your ability to really see the islands you visit.

Avoid Budget in Kona as their shuttle service is minimal (if any) and it is a long, expensive cab ride to the airport for pickup/drop off. We have had good luck with Alamo. Definately pre-book as they sell out.

Cars are really worth it in the islands. Do some pre-cruise research and decide on what you want to see and you can then go at your own pace. Be aware that there are few roads in the islands so traffic can be heavy and parking is scarce and expensive in port towns.

We are on the Wind for Jan 26/05 sailing and although this will be our 17th time to Hawaii it will be our first cruise. Since we have done most of the touristy things we have reserved cars for all the islands thru Alamo and also with Dollar.

I read on these boards that some people have been dissapointed when rentals do not happen even with res.

When we get Alamo I will cancel Dollar but both have almost same prices.

With car rent we can see what we want whenever, or try and find a golf course for the afternoon.

Ken

We are going in March and did a lot of looking around. We found that Alamo is the best. We are using the coupons in the Hawaii Entertainment book which also gives you free upgrades. I would suggest getting the book. available on line at Entertainment.com not only for cars but also dinning and attractions.

Cakewalk.

10 other cruises

first time with ncl. PO 03/06/05

If you you do the same itinerary as our 11-day Fanning Island cruise we did two weeks ago, the only island you really need a car IMHO is in Kahului. This is the only port that has an extended stay. The ship leaves at 10:30pm and I believe you have to board by 10:00pm. Here is what I did. Upon docking in the morning I took the *first* car-rental shuttle (Hertz) that no one was waiting for. There were long lines for Avis, Alamo, etc. When I arrived at the airport rental agencies I walked to National, next to Hertz. There was one person ahead of me. I asked the agent for the lowest price and she showed me a list with the lowest at $22 for the day. It was a 4-door Chevy Cavalier. I took it and it was perfect for my needs. I then took the family to Wailea and snorkeled with the girls, later both doing some boogie surfing. We had lunch at Kehei at Da Kitchen, drove to Io Valley and visited. We then spent the rest of the day shopping at centers and Wal-Mart. Total cost for rental under $30.00 The shuttle from port to a near-by shopping center alone was $7.50 per person. I saw no need for renting at the other islands as there is not really a lot of time to see much. We have family in Kauai and Honolulu, friends in Hilo so had no need for car as we were met at port. In Lahaina and Kona everything is within walking distance or free shuttles to Wal-Mart and Hilo Hatties. PS I hope you don't have a forward cabin, as it will get extremely rough Honolulu to Hilo. On our trip even the Captain was awakened. No other part of the trip was anywhere as rough as the first night. The smoothest ride was between Kona and Honolulu on the final night. And this was when 50 foot waves were pounding the north coasts of Oahu and Kauai. Be sure to use plenty sun block in Fanning as you're near the equator.

Eddie

Aloha,

I have had excellent experiences booking car rentals with Orbitz. Just enter the location and they will show the price for each company for each type of vehicle. I have found them all to be excellent so go with the least expensive. And if it turns our you don't need the car, there's no charge. I have checked the Orbitz price with the price offered by the car rental comapny and they are always identical.

On Maui, some ships dock in Kahului and some tender to shore in Lahaina. The two locations are about an hour drive apart and have separate rental offices. For Kahului use the airport identifier OGG; for Lahaina use the identifier for the Kapalua Airport JHM.

Have not rented in Kona for several years. The airport is about 10 miles from Kona Town and they stuck me with an extra gas fee because the nearest gas station is 10 miles from their airport office. For a while they had an office at the King Kamehameha Hotel in town and there was no fee, but they closed this office. Don't know if they still have the surcharge but it turned me off to renting in Kona. Kona is mostly a shopping town with free buses to Hilo Hatties and Walmart.

Keli`i

As I posted on another thread, while Alamo may have the best rates, it seemed that the majority of passengers who rented a car on our 12/5 Infinity cruise rented from Alamo, resulting in long waits for shuttles and long lines at the check-in counter. Quick Silver service was only available in Kauai and it's posted as Silver Service. We saw shuttles from Hertz, National, Alamo, and Thrifty at every port, and Budget and Dollar shuttles at a few of them. We never saw an Avis shuttle.

I would definitely recommend making reservations in advance. In Hilo, the Alamo shuttle driver had a list with renters names. I'm not certain he would have taken anyone without a reservation. In Kona, we rented from Enterprise and called them when we got off the tender. They sent someone to pick us up, and a couple looking for a car came along to the office. We assume the price was too high for a pick-up truck (only thing they had available), because they were taken back to the pier.

If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them.

Aloha,

I recommend renting a car. It will save you big bucks and it's an easy drive of about an hour to volcano. Dress warm since you'll be 7000 feet or so above sea level. Volcano House has had a fire going in its fireplace since the early 1900s. The lava flows are further to the south and the buses will not wait for you to walk to the lava flows and back again. To get to the lava flows, you park where the road is blocked by the lava and walk for an hour or so. HOWEVER, horror stories abound. You're walking on a crust of hot lava which has been known to break through. Other folks found themselves on a shelf that fell off into the sea (of boiling hot water) and were never heard from again. When the lava flows into the sea, it creates a poisonous gas. If you decide to take the hike prepare yourself. There are two types of lava: a'a and paho'eho'e. The latter is smooth and looks like twisted ropes and flows fast. The a'a will make short work of the hardiest hiking boots as it is sharp and jagged and flows slowly. I have lived on O'ahu since 1980 and wouldn't consider taking the hike. From what I have read in the paper, there is a US Park Ranger stationed near the place where you park your car who can give you all the details first hand. Good Luck !

Malama kou kino.

We rented a car and drove through Volcanos National Park and down Chain of Craters road. It was a 1/2-mile walk along a paved road to where the lava flow covered the road in the spring of 2003. That day, the closest lava flow was a 2-1/2 mile hike over the lava. People we knew on our cruise hiked it and said it was worth the effort.

Before you set out to see the lava flow, there is a ranger station where an information video plays in a loop warning you of the dangers of hiking on the lava and a board updated at least daily telling you how far it is to the current lava flow. It was advises wearing long pants, sturdy shoes with thick soles, and bringing 2 quarts of water person for every hour you will be on the lava. Having walked about 1/2 mile on the lava, I can attest that it is very warm and you must be alert to where you are walking, and although we had water and walking sneakers on, we were not prepared for a 5-mile hike. The lava flows change daily, so it could be closer or farther away. If you are at all interested in seeing the flow, I would recommend going on your own and going as early as possible when the temperatures might be a little cooler.

Karen

We rented on Maui and in Hilo (we also rented pre-cruise on Oahu).

In our case, I also travel for business from time to time, so I'm a Hertz gold club member. It doesn't cost anything to be a member, but what it does do is ensures that all of your rental paperwork is completed ahead of time, and that all you need to do is catch the shuttle to your car. NO LINES!

Hertz is not always the cheapest, but it sure made one more detail of our trip more simple. I never had to waste any time getting my car in port, and they had shuttles at each pier.

Archived