Just for fun...what was your first cruise???

Rotterdam

I too loved the QE2(3x) and she sailed like no other - even better than the FRANCE which tended to "roll " a bit!

Ah, but sometimes, I miss "the roll." Those old Italian line ships (Cristiforo Columbo and Leonardo Da Vinci) rolled a lot crossing the Atlantic!

But, yes, I'm glad to have sailed on QE 2 several times....

In 1969 Cunard inaugurated the QE2 and I sailed on her from Southampton to New York in August of that year. The staff were all British and the service was impeccable. I sailed on that ship several times but eventually the standard of service began to slip. It is now a floating hotel in Dubai.

The Queen Mary 2 continues that downward slide unless you splurge by booking a cabin which gains you entry to the Queen's Grill although I will confess that I have not sailed her again since the inaugural year. That was 2004 and we sailed round-trip from Miami to Rio for the famous Rio Carnival.

the QE2's fate is uncertain at this time. there were plans to convert it into a hotel. Those plans were put on hold because of the financial crisis in dubai. the current owners are maintaining here meticulously, though. here is a link to a current new article. they are talking about re-starting the hotel conversion again (read down a paragraph or 2):

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai-s-port-rashid-restarts-iran-ferry-services-470007.html

one of my 'cruise regrets' is never getting to sail on that ship :(

Great idea for a post! It has been a lot of fun to read about everyone's first.

My first was in 1987...NCL ~ SS Norway. It was a graduation gift to myself. I busted my tail throughout that school year to pay for it and so happy that I did. I have been hooked since and find it to be one of the most enjoyable ways to vacation!

My partners' first cruise was in 2008 with me on RCCL ~ Liberty of the Seas. We have been on a total of 11 together and currently have two planned within the next 6 months.

Weren't they fabulous ships...such beautiful design....the stacks on the Raffeallo and Michaelangelo.....

the interiors were so far ahead of their time...they were quite modern but warm & comfortable(where I found the French Line just as chic (the FRANCE) but not as congenial or fun.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=italian+line+ships+raffeallo&qpvt=italian+line+ships+raffeallo&FORM=IGRE

I did have an unfortunate incident onboard the Leonardo da vinci...it involved lots of cocktails, an officer & crew needing to take a bathroom door off its hinges to get me out and being loaded on a baggage cart.....and lots of laughs all round...I miss The Italian lIne, Home Lines, Sitmar.....

Oh to have tasted, drunk, dance & dined on those ships.....

QUOTE=Blazerboy;35060552]Ah, but sometimes, I miss "the roll." Those old Italian line ships (Cristiforo Columbo and Leonardo Da Vinci) rolled a lot crossing the Atlantic!

But, yes, I'm glad to have sailed on QE 2 several times....

We sailed on both Rafaello and Michaelangelo several times...loved those ships. On the final crossing of the Michaelangelo, the tugs in NYC gave us a send off, spraying red, white and blue water in the air. I was thrilled, 32 years later, to have the same thing when we sailed on the final crossing of QE2.

Andrew

Im fairly new to cruising but our first cruise was on Carnival Liberty in March of 2009. We had a wonderful time and were instantly hooked!

Two out of the four of us got the Nuro Virus, there was a huge outbreak, but besides that it was wonderful! Even getting deathly sick didnt keep us from booking again!

Our first cruise was on Holland America's Amsterdam going to Alaska. It has always been our favorite and the ship was great. The scenery was awesome and it was the one cruise were we actually saw lots of wild life both in water and out. I also loved the ports and Glazier Bay was by far the most exciting place to view on earth. This was back in 2004. since then we've traveled to Europe for a few years and then after that we been exclusively cruising. I guess as you get older and the travel prices to Europe keep getting more expensive, we try to take one cruise a year.

Daniel

• 1 month later...

Archived