Just for fun...what was your first cruise???

Rotterdam

My first cruise was in 2005 on RCI's Explorer of the seas... I was able to get my partner Bill to fly for the 1st time in his life... That morning I slipped in the shower and ripped my forehead open hitting it on the towel rack on the sliding glass door, Thankfully both of being Paramedics, we were able to close it up and stop the bleeding. 1 Valium later because he was scared to death to fly we were heading to Miami.

We did an Eastern Caribbean St.Maarten, Puerto Rico, St Thomas and Nassau,,, what a great time!

Soon, we'll be on the Liberty... Cant wait!!!!!

Our first cruise together was on the Norwegian Wind, Alaska Inside Passage. The was one of their ships that was cut in half, rooms added and closed up again. I kept trying to find the zipper to make sure is was securely closed. Great cruise and spectacular scenery.

My first cruise was in 98 when I was in my twenties on Crystal Cruises for 10 nights thru the Panama Canal. I took my boyfriend and my parents. I booked us in a Penthous suite and got my parents a deluxe balcony one deck below us. I now sort of feel I should not have started with such a luxury cruise, but the economy was better then and I had a lot more money. I hope I'm still able to enjoy the Premieum lines. I'm booked on Celebrity in December and next September I'm going to Alaska with a group on Royal Caribbean. (I do however have some fears about RCCL. The interiors of the cabins look god awful with washed out pastels and sunken beds with worn looking furniture. Are their ships as bad as they look?)

Mine was in 1969 on some old italian tub based in Miami and sailing 4 day cruises to the bahamas.

I think that was the Costa Flavia. Gone but not forgotten. It was my first cruise at 5 in 71'.

My first real cruise as an adult that got me hooked was Carnival's Imagination in 2001. My partner put together a group of 20 and we had a ball. Now I try to sail on her once a year to relax.

John's first cruise was on the TSS Mardi Gras in 1975 on a cruise to

Nassau, San Juan and St. Thomas. Rick's first cruise was on the

Wilson Line on the Potomac as a child; in reality we have both

just started taking cruises.

We decided that we wanted do all our land traveling and to see most of the United States before we begin cruising.

Rick's parents have a long history of taking the same cruise. Every year

beginning in the late 1960's to some time in the early 1980's, they took

the Costa Lines Carla C out of San Juan on its weekly Caribbean cruise.

John says he is spending his children's inheritance on cruising.

Rick & John

Ours was "The Ecstasy" in 1993, for our 10th Anniversary!:D

I remember thinking that "this was going to be a once in a lifetime vacation" - never to be able to afford it again!:o

We did other vacations and then did a second cruise for our 20th Anniversary and have been doing 2-3 cruises every year since. :D We have done 11 cruises up until now.

Can't wait to plan the next one!:D

I consider myself to have had 3 first cruises. Let me explain:

1) First time ever on a ship was on the Scandinanvian Suan when SeaEscape first started out of Miami to Freeport back in 1981. A cruise? Probably not. But it was a ship.

2) Greek Islands on the World Reinassance of the now defunct line Royal Olympic in 1999. Old ship which held only about 500.

3) Princess Cruises Island Princess from Seward to Vancounver in Sept. 2003. The ship was 6 weeks old then and it was beautiful. I had always felt a certain attraction to ships but this one really got me hooked. I've been more than 20 cruises since then. Can you tell I'm hooked?

• 3 months later...

My first cruise was almost a year ago, and I'm hooked... My first was the Carnival Legend to the Western Caribbean. Now I am going from hot to cold & sailing soon on the Carnival Spirit to Alaska & can't wait!!!

I have my photos in a link below from my first cruise!

My first cruise was almost a year ago, and I'm hooked... My first was the Carnival Legend to the Western Caribbean. Now I am going from hot to cold & sailing soon on the Carnival Spirit to Alaska & can't wait!!!

I have my photos in a link below from my first cruise!

You will have a great time in Alaska. I've been twice and can't wait to go back.

Nancy

My first cruise was on the Celebrity Millennium in November 2001 -- right after 9/11. We ran into a hurricane the first night out and almost got pitched right out of bed. We were in an outside cabin very far forward. The next morning I was deathly ill, but once I got into a chair by the pool where I couldn't see the horizon jumping up and down, I started getting better even though the ship was pitching violently. Then I went through in my mind all I had to drink the night before -- I wasn't seasick, just hung over!

Later that day I was on a treadmill on the 11th deck when a huge wave came right over the bow and over the ship! Wow!

With all the throwing around, I quite enjoyed the trip and always love a rough sea. I figured that was cruising. When the sea is too clam, I feel like there is something wrong with the ship!

Haven't done an all-gay cruise yet. The non-gay cruises all seem pretty gay anyway.

Tom in VA

My partner and I took our first cruise to Alaska in 2005 aboard the Norwegian Spirit. We have been hooked ever since. We love NCL, and stayed away from Princess after a less than wonderful cruise on the Dawn Princess. Some friends talked us into giving them another try last fall and we had a wonderful time on board the Sapphire Princess, so our next cruise is to Mexico on that ship in March. Our favorite cruise to date, was a 10 day Canada/New England on the Norwegian Dawn. The cruise we would most like to do is the Baltics cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
I remember thinking that "this was going to be a once in a lifetime vacation" - never to be able to afford it again!

I remember feeling the same about our first cruise. We sailed with RSVP onboard the Caribbean Princess in February 2007. We had the time of our lives and figured we would not be able to take another cruise until we retired. Thankfully we were wrong and we now plan on taking at least one per year.

NCL Leeward in April of 1996. Miami, Key West, Cozumel and back. A 5 day trip.

The ship got water in the fuel on the last night out, and we were adrift without power for a few hours while they did repairs. Which made us a little late getting back (not too much- word is that it was an extremely fast little ship). I nearly missed my flight home, though. We pulled up to MIA with about 10 minutes to spare and a LONG line at curbeside checkin. I grabbed the nearest porter/agent, showed him a $100 bill and said, "My flight leaves in 10 minutes, and I really want to be on it. What can you do?" He snatched that bill and led us on a sprint to the gate, bypassing all kinds of security (gotta love the pre- 9/11 days). Got on board in time to have a glass of wine before takeoff, even!

My Partner and I sailed Majesty of the Seas in September 2004. We both work for an airline and booked that trip because we figured we could get off at Nassau or Key West if we really hated it. Next Month we will be on our 23rd cruise with 2 more booked this year. I think we liked it. :)

Future cruising....

That is why you should consider your Florida relocation to an inexspensive area like I did. It allows me to continue this disgusting habit of getting on more ships. I try to quit......but fail. NowI am in driving distance to Miami, Ft lauderdale, Tampa and Port canaveral....no planes nor flight costs.

Must admit that everytime I approach the pier area and I get a first glimpse of my ship...I'm 7 years old, its Christmas morning and the ship is the present underthe tree.

Future cruising....

That is why you should consider your Florida relocation to an inexspensive area like I did. It allows me to continue this disgusting habit of getting on more ships. I try to quit......but fail. NowI am in driving distance to Miami, Ft lauderdale, Tampa and Port canaveral....no planes nor flight costs.

Must admit that everytime I approach the pier area and I get a first glimpse of my ship...I'm 7 years old, its Christmas morning and the ship is the present underthe tree.

Same feeling we have!

I was trying to explain it to my sister and bro-in-law who are coming down next wk to join us on a cruise...

That sums it up perfectly!

Same feeling we have!

I was trying to explain it to my sister and bro-in-law who are coming down next wk to join us on a cruise...

That sums it up perfectly!

My partner says he almost likes the anticipation of going on a cruise more than the actual cruise itself!!

(He's nuts!):D

I appreciate your partners feelings. Anticipation is oh so powerful. All the excitiement to get on the ship. Once you step on the ship (right off the gangway) its like opening a christmas present. Then its onto the next present or in the case the next ship. I could save loads of money if I could just spend a day on each ship, touring it, having a meal, some bar time and then disembark.

This thread has been great to follow. Seeing some of the ships people have sailed on is really interesting. To read the name Flavia...wow! She was tied up in Miami when I sailed my first cruise on the Southward. I wonder if anyone out there ever sailed on the Vera Cruz. A small bucket...always wondered what she was like.

Tom

My Roomate and I went to San fran for our first cruise and it was on the Dawn Princess and I will never forget it. Because that morning when i opened the blinds from our room at 6am, all I remember saying was

OMFG there was this giant ship passing right in front of my eyes I screamed for roomy to get up and come see, it was a sight i will never ever forget and from that moment on I was hooked on Cruising mmmmmmmm like RMS said just like xmas morning it was.

Just would love to try a different line to cruise, but the damn airfare from Canada just kills us oh well maybe one day.......

Tim :):D

2007 Carnival Liberty, I was so excited about going on my first cruise. I had payed for myself and the person that I was dating, whoever that would have been at the time. I met someone who was going to go with me then she cancelled 3 days before the cruise. I wasnt going to go because I had lost my mom 2 months before and my date cancelled:(. My family convinced me to go anyway so I did. I met people in line at the port, once I got on the ship and while sitting alone crying looking out of the back window of the lido deck a lady walked up and asked me if she could sit with me, I told her yes and we have been together since:D. We will be going on our 4th cruise and celebrating our 3rd anniversary in October.

Archived