Anyone been to Santorini on a land trip?

Four years ago, we spent a week in Santorini and a week in Mykonos and had a GREAT time!!! We flew from Athens to Santorini, and were picked up at the airport by staff members of the Astra Apartments. The hotel is located on the cliff of the Caldera, an the view is breathtaking. The hotel and staff were exceptional. We rented a car for the week and traveled all over the island-from Oia to the beaches to the winery. We were never bored. In fact, the week flew by. It was fun getting out of Fira during the day when most cruise ships and crowds converge on the town. In the evening, we would drive (5 min.) or walk along the Caldera for dinner. Delicious fresh food with amazing views. Asta Apartments are located in Imerovigili, the town next to Fira. Although we love to cruise, this vacation remains at the top of our list for enjoyment and relaxation. By the way, if you fly, you must book early, as the flights sell out very fast. Ferries are available from Pireus. We just did not have time needed for ferry transit. If you choose to go, I know you will have a wonderful time!!!

We're thinking of starting our French vacation next year with 4 - 5 days in Santorini. I don't think we'd be board, I'd be happy with a pool, Mythos and the view :). Has anyone been there for a couple of days?

We stayed in Oia last summer for 3 days and loved it ! After reading the above post, it sounds like a wonderful way to do it, but we did it for much cheaper. I looked at the cost of the Astra Apts - cheapest being 300 E per night.

We took the ferry from Athens. There are different types of ferries, some faster, slower, more or less expensive, whichever you are looking for. We took one that took about 4 hours to get there, and was about 40 E each. We stayed at the Hotel Lauda in Oia, right on the caldera. It had a beautiful pool. It was of course terraced down the side of the island. The lower you go for your room the cheaper the room, but none were that far of a walk down. Our room for 3 had four beds, a couch, large table and chairs for eating if you like, fridge, microwave, AC, and private bath. Outside our room we had a terrace looking out over the pool at the caldera. It was truly breathtaking ! We were there again this summer on a cruise, and stopped by to check the rooms and prices. Still as lovely as before. I think prices for 2 start at 65 or 70 E per night. Check it out at www.lauda-santorini.com. The gentleman who runs it is very nice.

We also rented a car and drove all over the island to the beaches, wineries, Ammoudi village, etc. You will have a wonderful time, and definitely will not be bored !

Have a nice vacation ! :)

Archived