How is the snorkeling at PB?

Caligirl33

and it was pretty good,but that was the only time I've been so don't have anything to compare it to.LOL.It was shortly after one of the big storms and there were dozens of huge conch shells there ,they had so many that they had some guys hauling them away in wheel barrows.The pier was the best place to snorkel as it had lots of fish.At that time there was not much coral but it was right after a storm and I am sure that had an affect on the coral.

I thought PB is a very sandy beach which meant no snorkeling. :confused:

I wouldn't say sandy beaches have "no" snorkeling, but compared to a rocky beach there will be a lot less- there are fewer places for fish to hide and no where for coral to take hold in the sand. If you're a newer snorkeler I'm sure you'd find something to interest you, but if you're used to having more to look at, sandy beaches are usually disappointing.

I wouldn't say sandy beaches have "no" snorkeling, but compared to a rocky beach there will be a lot less- there are fewer places for fish to hide and no where for coral to take hold in the sand. If you're a newer snorkeler I'm sure you'd find something to interest you, but if you're used to having more to look at, sandy beaches are usually disappointing.
That pretty much sums up what I would have said. If you want to go to PB AND have quality snorkeling, Tom has been known to be able to arrange a snorkel trip if you have enough people for a boat trip.

If snorkeling is the only thing keeping you from going to PB, then stop at Dzul Ha/ Money Bar first for an hour or two of snorkeling then go to PB.

FYI, While we were in Coz we snorkeled there and our guide pointed out a nurse shark in a little cavish area, some turtles, a large grouper and I believe a parrotfish. There were some other fish but I forget the names.

Then I think I found some sand dollars!! Not that was the tequila messin with us! : )

If you need more info, click on Paradise Beach site which sometimes runs on top of the cruise critic page. You can e mail directly.

Hope this helps!

We were just at Paradise Beach last week. They had a big storm the night before, so the water had tons of seaweed in it that was pretty nasty. Once you got out to water that was about 3 feet deep, it wasn't as bad. I'm really surprised they didn't try to fish out a bunch of that disgusting seaweed.

I was also very disappointed in the beach itself. It was most definately not sand. It felt more like ground up sea shells or limestone. As you tried to enter the water, it felt like quicksand and you would sink into it. I needed someone to hold my hand to help me out of the water because I kept sinking into the ground as I was trying to get out.

My daughter and several others in our group paid the $10 to go snorkeling and kayaking. The water was still pretty murky, so they couldn't see much in the water. They went snorkeling off of the pier where it was deeper and should have been clearer. They did have fun with the snorkeling.

I must say that I was less than impressed with Paradise Beach and would probably try a different beach next time.

I was also very disappointed in the beach itself. It was most definately not sand. It felt more like ground up sea shells or limestone.

Actually, the sand is mostly chewed up coral with some shells mixed in. And do you know how the coral gets chewed up? Fish EAT it, then........

fishpoop.jpg

That's where sand comes from in the Caribbean.

We were just at Paradise Beach last week. They had a big storm the night before, so the water had tons of seaweed in it that was pretty nasty. Once you got out to water that was about 3 feet deep, it wasn't as bad. I'm really surprised they didn't try to fish out a bunch of that disgusting seaweed.

I was also very disappointed in the beach itself. It was most definately not sand. It felt more like ground up sea shells or limestone. As you tried to enter the water, it felt like quicksand and you would sink into it. I needed someone to hold my hand to help me out of the water because I kept sinking into the ground as I was trying to get out.

My daughter and several others in our group paid the $10 to go snorkeling and kayaking. The water was still pretty murky, so they couldn't see much in the water. They went snorkeling off of the pier where it was deeper and should have been clearer. They did have fun with the snorkeling.

I must say that I was less than impressed with Paradise Beach and would probably try a different beach next time.

Sorry you didn't have a great day, unfortunately we can't control the weather and the sand is the same at all the beach clubs in this area. Did your daughter and the others enjoy all the other activities the bracelet entitled them to?

Actually, the sand is mostly chewed up coral with some shells mixed in. And do you know how the coral gets chewed up? Fish EAT it, then........

fishpoop.jpg

That's where sand comes from in the Caribbean.

LoL! A pic is worth a 1000 words!:D How are you and the family? Any Cozumel trips in your near future?

Sorry you didn't have a great day, unfortunately we can't control the weather and the sand is the same at all the beach clubs in this area. Did your daughter and the others enjoy all the other activities the bracelet entitled them to?

The girls did enjoy the kayaking as well as the slide. They were very disappointed in the snorkeling though, as the water was too murky.

So is real sand non-existent at any of the beaches in Cozumel? The ground up coral or whatever the surface is made from, is extremely difficult to walk on and not at all comfortable. It also made it very difficult to get in and out of the water. It's like quick sand.

If the seaweed mess is fairly common due to storms, is it not possible to run a net through the water to remove most of it to at least make the beach "appear" more pleasant?

LoL! A pic is worth a 1000 words!:D How are you and the family? Any Cozumel trips in your near future?
We're all fine. The boy starts college this fall, the girl start high school, and I still have a job. I'd love to visit Cozumel again this Christmas.

So is real sand non-existent at any of the beaches in Cozumel?

It is real sand. The finer real sand is on the East side of the island where the wave action works to make the bits smaller.

eastside3.jpg

We're all fine. The boy starts college this fall, the girl start high school, and I still have a job. I'd love to visit Cozumel again this Christmas.

It is real sand. The finer real sand is on the East side of the island where the wave action works to make the bits smaller.

eastside3.jpg

Congratulations on all three counts. Especially good still having a job as your DD starts college, lol! Hope to see you guys again in December...:)

They had a big storm the night before

This quote is key. See below.

I'm really surprised they didn't try to fish out a bunch of that disgusting seaweed.

If the storm was only 12 hours gone (give or take) then I would imagine their bigger concerns, instead of clearing up harmless plants, would be to

1. ensure their property hadn't been hit in a way that endangered their guests, and

2. that there was no trash in the water, like broken glass, which could actually hurt someone.

The water was still pretty murky, so they couldn't see much in the water. They went snorkeling off of the pier where it was deeper and should have been clearer.

But, like you said, a storm had come through.

Why? Because Mother Nature did something that affected the water, and you were expecting white-sand beaches?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I find it unfair that you are basing your decision not to go back on natural occurrences that the staff could do nothing to prepare for or change. Would you mind reviewing Paradise Beach as it pertains to the staff, the service, the facility itself, and the other amenities that are offered that other beach resorts may not have? Otherwise, assuming all sand and water were the same, your review could be used for any resort, just fill in the blank with the name.

Archived