Exercise Classes

Lessa11

Does NCL offer good yoga and/or aerobics classes? By good, I mean challenging and makes you sweat. I hear they charge for these classes. I've been working out for 20+ years, so I'm not paying extra to go to some wimpy class where I don't even get a real workout.

My suggestion would be to talk to the instructors in the gym before signing up....or, come to one of the classes and observe what goes on and then make up your mind. What makes me sweat might not raise your heartrate at all.

I took an aerobics and yoga class on the Jewel last November - $15 for each. The "instructor" was new on the ship and had no idea how to lead an aerobics class, very boring and low level - the yoga was better, but he admitted he had just learned the moves! My suggestion is to go to the gym the first day and ask some questions of the staff, see what their experience might be. And remember, the exercise equipment is very good, including the weights, so you may want to save your money and stick to those.

I took an aerobics and yoga class on the Jewel last November - $15 for each. The "instructor" was new on the ship and had no idea how to lead an aerobics class, very boring and low level - the yoga was better, but he admitted he had just learned the moves! My suggestion is to go to the gym the first day and ask some questions of the staff, see what their experience might be. And remember, the exercise equipment is very good, including the weights, so you may want to save your money and stick to those.

that's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll get my exercise in other ways for a week. Might use the machines if I can do it with my daughter, though I always feel like a hamster on a treadmill. Will they let an 11yo on the machines?

I had similar questions about the fitness prigram on a recent NCL cruise and ended up just using the exercise equipment on my own. No offense meant to anyone, but the average age and apparent aerobic condition of the other folks interested in the pay-for-use aerobics class I inquired about on my particular cruise was about 20 years older than me, and the assembled "group's" fitness level did not appear to be on par with my own. I really did not feel I would get the level of aerobic workout I am used to so opted to just design my own program on the equipment, for which there is no charge.

the wife has done the arobic, yoga, spin and palates..only the spin class got her sweating :D

but, it was more for the experience than just exercising..she had a great time..and that makes me happy..:)

I don't know the age restrictions in the gym - I don't remember seeing any young people - as in kids or teens. But there are a lot of people that take advantage of the equipment and you can get a really good workout. I don't prefer machines myself, but they have TV at a lot of the machines and I got involved with one of the movies -- must have worked out almost two hours to see the ending..... so you may want to avoid the TV:D

While there is a charge for the yoga, pilates and cycling classes, there are some no-fee aerobics classes. The quality of the instructors varies from ship to ship and I agree with the previous posters to check out the various classes to see if the instructors meet your needs. Our experience has been that the aerobics instructors were excellent when they worked for NCL. Since Steiner took over, many instructors seem more interested in selling spa packages than giving a good class.

Archived