grenada: what kind of spices are

teegeezfun

Cloves, bay leaves, nutmeg + mace, cinnamon, vanilla, saffron to name the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Cocoa and bananas are grown here as well as a variety of tropical fruits [mangoes, papaya, sugar apples, etc]. Not sure of availability of most of these things after the hurricane as many trees were destroyed, but this page will give you some small idea of the types of local fruits and vegetables you'd find under normal circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

doreend:

we're also taking a tour with mandoo in mid-january; my question is: is his tour in a covered, air-conditioned vehicle? does he make restroom stops? my mother-in-law said she didn't want to go because she can't take the sun all day and needs a restroom periodically. i thought i'd inquire on her behalf before she cancels. thanks.

nancy

Let's see. . .Mandoo's tour was in an airconditioned van. There were restrooms at the port terminal building and one at the spice plantation. There may have been restrooms also at Grand Anse and Grand Etang Crater Lake, but I didn't use those so I can speak about them. Many in our party sounds like they are in a similar situation as your mother-in-law and everyone was fine. You are sheltered from the sun (just beware of sun's rays coming in from the window--I was torched in our air-conditioned jeep in Aruba!). This island is very tropical and if you have the same weather as us, you will see sunshine and some rain. I too, usually need frequent rest room stops and was fine on this tour!

Enjoy!

Archived