Triumph Aug 2009--Cabin Question..Sorta!

NAS123

Hey All,

So wooooow you guys are a treasure of information. I have been reading the boards since yesterday afternoon off and on. Lot of stuff on here which is great!!! Not even remotely close to finishing!

So about 3 months ago, I booked our first ever family cruise on the Carnival Triumph at the end of August, Canada/New England out of NYC. There are 5 of us. Myself, my husband and our three girls. (16, 7, 3 year old).

Funds were tight but I was determined to take a cruise this year after previous disaster family vacations because well, with the age ranges of our girls, it can be a bit tedious trying to keep us all happy. So I insisted a cruise was the way to go. Hopefully I was right!

Anyway, with that fund thing in mind, we booked an interior cabin room. Lido, 9259. Anyone have pictures of Cabins on the Triumph? I was wondering (A full week after I paid my final deposit..lol) Will this room be a super tight fit? This has been my worry since March. LOL But aha! I didn't know you guys were hanging out here! Otherwise I would have loved some company/thoughts/expertise/advice when/during my initial booking!

Hello all. Thanks.

Hi there, and welcome! We have sailed with 5 in a cabin on Victory (twice), although in a balcony cabin not an inside. On two of our Victory cruises we put the 3 boys in an inside, though, so I'm familiar with the layout. Yes, it will be a tight fit - you'll most likely have two twin beds, two bunks that pull down from the ceiling, and a rollaway cot. There will be a desk area with drawers and a 3-section closet with shelves and hangars. I have to say that for a 5-night cruise with 5 of us in a cabin, we had plenty of storage space. Suitcases go under the beds - it saves you room in the closet. (We didn't think of that on our first cruise.:o) One hint for showers - use the showers available in the gym area so that you're not all waiting at the same time for the cabin shower. (We make do with one bathroom in our house, so the bathroom has never been an issue for us.)

I know you didn't ask about kids' activities, but I would recommend your oldest go to the Club O2 meeting the first night to get to meet other kids on the cruise. Even if she doesn't want to do the activities, it's a great way to get to know others. Our oldest son loved Club O2 - we saw him for dinner and shore excursions and that was about it. The two younger sons have usually loved Camp Carnival.

We did the Canada cruise four times - I'd be happy to help with questions. Enjoy your first cruise!

Kathy,

Thanks so much for your response. Greatly appreciated.

I will definitely have my bigger one go to Club O2 on the first evening. She is a social 16 year old and makes friends anywhere. The cruise will be no different! We have early dinner at 6 pm. We will figure out the timing. The one I worry about is my toddler. She is 2 1/2. Will they keep her together with our 7 year old or is that a different club? I understand that they give you a phone or some sort of pager in the event you need to be contacted?

Any suggestions on favored activities on the Canada cruise? I don't even know where to start! LOL

Thanks again!

Your 2 year old will be in a different group than the 7 year old, from what I know and you will only get a phone for the 2 year old.

Just relax, and enjoy yourselves and go with the flow.

Hi and welcome to CC.

The younger groups are 2-5 and 6-8. They do have pagers available for the 2-5 group - we had one on our first cruise, and they will page you if there is a problem. (On our first cruise, they paged us because our youngest son was being the problem.:o There has never been a repeat.)

As for activities - In Halifax, I would recommend the Harbour Hopper trip. It's one hour, so the kids won't be bored (my kids loved it) - amphibious vehicle where half the tour is on land, the other half is in the harbor. There is lots to see and do along the waterfront; for your youngest, there is a nice playground right by the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. We have stopped there for our youngest while others get ice cream or snacks. In Saint John, we usually just walk around on our own (the Harbour Passage is really a nice walk), but I would also recommend the hour-long horse-drawn trolley. It's a nice way to see the town.

We were on the Truimph 5 day Cruise 6/15-6/20 in cabin 9259...

There were 4 of us in the cabin and we did fine even though my kids are 19 and 22. Since your kids are much younger, you should not have a problem. It is the last cabin before the entry way for the elevators... which is really convenient but sometimes noisy. There was a group of elderly ladies that chose that as their meeting place every morning but we were up already so it did not bother us too much. The cabin stuart.. Gilbert... is very good and has a great sense of humor. The room is also very conveniently located to the Lido deck/pool/buffet etc.

The weather should be much warmer in August so you will be using the pool ... on our cruise i don't think anyone got in the pool it was just too cold. Have fun... it's a very nice cruise.

Okay...these are not exactly from the Triumph, but they should be pretty close to what your cabins will look like. In fact, my friends stayed in lido cabin 9260 which is in the same location as 9259 except it is on the port side of ship and not the starboard. Their cabin was identical to these pictures!

This is a 4F on the Freedom. There is another twin bed out of the picture frame---we had 3 in this cabin.

P3280077.jpg

This is what the cabin looks like before the uppers are pulled down:

SpringBreak09040.jpg

What you can't see is the part of the room where I was taking the pics. There is a small counter with a fridge under it on the left--you can see the corner of it in the above pic. To the right is the TV, a chair, and a mirror area with a small counter--again you can see the corner of the counter area in this pic. When you first walk into the room there are three closets on one side, and the bathroom door on the other.

Hope this helped a little!:D

Actually 9259 is layed out a little different. As you enter there is a cabinet on the left far corner that holds the TV. The beds are on the left wall and the far wall... in a L shape. which I think gives you a little more room. the beds on top also pop out in an L shape( on the left wall and the far wall). The wall on the right is completly open, that is where you'll put the cot.

If you push up the upper beds(out of the way) and put away the cot as soon as everyone is up then you'll have plenty of space.

The empty suitcases do fit nicely under the beds.... and there is plenty of hanging/cabinet space as you walk in. the bathroom is also a nice size and had lots of cabinet space.

Firefly333--Yes, I believe it is my best bet that we go with the flow. There is no way I can plan anything considering this is our first cruise. LOL Thanks for the welcome.

Nybumpkin--I appreciate the suggestions while in Canada. I am hoping to convince my Husband (What does the D stand for before titles on the board? Husbands are referred to as DH, wives are referred to as DW...I can't figure out what the D means. LOL) I digress---want to convince my Husband that we can take the girls someplace without them getting bored! (Which explains our presence on the cruise...)

4nlalaland--GASP! You were in the same room I booked! Ahhhh thanks so much for responding. It is pretty funny. They asked me what room I wanted on that floor so there I was back in March, searching interior rooms with two dots in it. Haha. I thought that would be more convenient but is it really loud? Too loud? No right? I can try to see if the others are still available on that floor and switch--but let me think--I have three girls and a toddler who can TOTALLY wail and break glass, let me just tell ya...lol Perhaps it would be hypocritical thinking of me? LOL OH My other question is, can the two bottom beds be pushed together? On the website it said they can be pushed together into a KING sized? Which is what I prefer as one of us has to sleep with my toddler...or could I bring a guard rail?

(Such in depth questions for a cruise...LOL But things I am deeply pondering over here!! LOL)

CruiseLover824--YAY! Thanks for posting the pictures! I now have a mental visual to work with. Is there a fridge in every room? I read somewhere on here about bringing a rolling insulated ice bag?? Is that something I would still need to bring?

I also was wondering on a sidebar note--Walkie Talkie's work on this ship? I am thinking I need two pairs because--well, one for me and my husband to use, and one for me and my 16 year old to use...Yes, I have planning/control issues and must be able to find my people. Anyone in NYC selling theirs? LOL

I have spent the entire day reading the boards. I can't keep up! Obviously I am having a grand time.

Hi and welcome:) Every word of NYBumpkin's advice here is excellent. We just got off the Triumph a few days ago. BTW, both pools are now heated. Five people in an inside won't be bad if you control your "stuff". Definitely bring that over the door shoe rack you'll hear so much about on these boards! We have done 4 in an Inside several times on NCL and those cabins are tiny compared to the Insides on the Triumph. Lots of people did get upsale calls exactly one week before our sail date because the upper categories were not selling well. If you do get an opportunity to upgrade to an Ocean View (cabin with a window) for a small fee, do take it because Inside cabins on the Triumph are 185 square feet while OV's are 220. Our OV slept 5 and I noticed that the way it was laid out would have definitely been okay for five (we only had 3 in it), especially since two of yours are small. We took the Harbour Hopper tour and its a great "all ages" choice, as is cruising in general. We have 5 kids and it is hands down the best way to vacation with all different ages. Your husband and you will even be able to get some alone time without the kids. Everyone will tell you how little you'll see of most kids once they find their age mates to hang with aboard. Ours don't want to do anything else now except cruises! Don't worry - you really have made a great choice:)

Hi! Did you do the 7 day out of NYC? If so, which were the elegant nights?

Please and thank you!

Milandra - Sorry, in all our Canada cruises we've never managed to do the 7-day since they start after our kids are back in school in September. Usually on Carnival cruises the first day after embarkation is a formal night, but I believe on this itinerary the ship is in Boston late so it may vary.

NAS123 - usually people use the "D" to refer to "Dear" husband, son, etc. However, I have seen a few folks with some stronger references.:p

Hi! Did you do the 7 day out of NYC? If so, which were the elegant nights?

Please and thank you!

We have done previous 7 day cruises(not out of NYC) and the 2 elegant nights have been both on sea days...(the first sea day for sure)

We did the 5 day cruise out of NYC and the 1 elegant night was on the first sea day....

Hopefully that helps.

Archived