Dawn Princess World Cruise

are plans on hold to convert here

She was going to go to one of the Palm Islands and become a floating Hotel.

However the recession came along ,

and as well as many of the buildings being stopped in Dubai,

she was put on hold, and has been sitting empty and forlorn.

Last I heard plans were underway to float her down to Capetown

to be used as Hotel for the World Cup,

but I have not heard what is actually going to happen to her.

We were on the first sector, basically the ship was full (I mean really full) of older people.

Sandy was not what I would call ‘enthusiastic’ compared to Adam or Sandy on the Pacific Sun, but look at the group they have to work with.

We overheard a lot of 'old people' whining, the size of the cabins, the size of the wardrobe space, the food.....the food?????? The food was the best we had ever had.

I did not see much of Sandy, and the sail away was a big fizzer, but Sydney Harbour was fantastic and the ship was great.

What we did see of Sandy seems as though she does a few of the world cruises and is popular with a LOT of the older crowd, so who knows.

Maybe we need to step back and look from the point of view of the writer and what is his motivation.

I can not comment on the box of complaints, I can not comment on the entire cruise.

I can not compare P&O UK with Princess Australia, BUT I can say lets compare apples with apples, you can not compare apples with oranges, they are different. Full stop.

I can comment on the FACT that there were a lot of people on there doing a lot of complaining, and we were only on there for 3 nights. Personally, I would take a lot of it with a pinch of salt. Some people make a sport out of whining.

Would I take a world cruise? well if I could afford to take it and a tutor for the kids then yes, otherwise it will have to wait and I hope to live that long and be able to afford it, and enjoy it knowing how lucky we are and richer for the experience.

Steve

We were on the first sector, basically the ship was full (I mean really full) of older people.

Sandy was not what I would call ‘enthusiastic’ compared to Adam or Sandy on the Pacific Sun, but look at the group they have to work with.

We overheard a lot of 'old people' whining, the size of the cabins, the size of the wardrobe space, the food.....the food?????? The food was the best we had ever had.

I did not see much of Sandy, and the sail away was a big fizzer, but Sydney Harbour was fantastic and the ship was great.

What we did see of Sandy seems as though she does a few of the world cruises and is popular with a LOT of the older crowd, so who knows.

Maybe we need to step back and look from the point of view of the writer and what is his motivation.

I can not comment on the box of complaints, I can not comment on the entire cruise.

I can not compare P&O UK with Princess Australia, BUT I can say lets compare apples with apples, you can not compare apples with oranges, they are different. Full stop.

I can comment on the FACT that there were a lot of people on there doing a lot of complaining, and we were only on there for 3 nights. Personally, I would take a lot of it with a pinch of salt. Some people make a sport out of whining.

Would I take a world cruise? well if I could afford to take it and a tutor for the kids then yes, otherwise it will have to wait and I hope to live that long and be able to afford it, and enjoy it knowing how lucky we are and richer for the experience.

Steve

glad to see you enjoyed your cruise so much:D and thank you for letting us kmow how it went:D

Steve

I agree 100% Steve.

I do wonder why some people bother to take holidays with their attitude.

The only complaint I have from my cruising experience (Dawn Princess)would be about some of the passengers... grumpy, rude, pushy, egotists.. (i wont mention the two times I saw powder being sniffed).

As for the the crew, ship, food... perfect.:)

They must remember it is a ship they are on not a bricks and mortar hotel in the CBD.

Cheers...

I do have to mention that we did meet some very nice people, and the crew etc were great, but the number of 'whiners' was noticable.

Yes it is a ship, and there is lots and LOTS of space. Much more space and things to do than any CBD hotel. Remember only about 2000 passengers with lots of space, I never had a problem finding a quiet place. If I wanted comlete privacy I would have returned to my room, a nice room with a large window, lots of light and very comfortable.

Steve

I have been reading the Rueben Gossens review with a great deal of interest. Husband and I did the Cherry Blossom on the Dawn Princess in Mar/April this year as a tester to see if we would like to do a world cruise on her...I have to agree with much of that review. We were onboard for six weeks which I think is long enough to give a fair point of view. We had a great time the itinerary was lovely, Todd McBain who is apparently about to rejoin the ship runs a great ship.

However, the ship really is not designed well for long cruises, the comments about lack of quiet public space is totally correct...luckily we had a balcony and could escape. The library was pathetic...not enough computer stations and often they were taken up by people doing the computer/internet courses and not available.

I gave up trying to see the production shows...I managed one in the six weeks.

There was lots to love about the ship, the staff, the food etc. were pretty much what I expect from a Princess cruise...perhaps the staff were a little less motivated but we were told that was because a lot of the older passengers cancelled their automatic tips.

In fact their was so much whinging going on the captain took the extraordinary step of telling the passengers publicly to "get happy or get off" and he was quite entitled.

Did I enjoy my cruise, yes, in fact I am two months out from my third Princess cruise in 11 months...however would I do another long/world cruise on the Dawn Princess no I don't think so. So I have a dilemma. Hopefully cruising remains to grow and grow in our region and we will see better and better ships stationed here because I really really want to see the world from a cruise ship and I really don't want to have to pay in euros/pounds.

I have been reading the Rueben Gossens review with a great deal of interest. Husband and I did the Cherry Blossom on the Dawn Princess in Mar/April this year as a tester to see if we would like to do a world cruise on her...I have to agree with much of that review. We were onboard for six weeks which I think is long enough to give a fair point of view. We had a great time the itinerary was lovely, Todd McBain who is apparently about to rejoin the ship runs a great ship.

However, the ship really is not designed well for long cruises, the comments about lack of quiet public space is totally correct...luckily we had a balcony and could escape. The library was pathetic...not enough computer stations and often they were taken up by people doing the computer/internet courses and not available.

I gave up trying to see the production shows...I managed one in the six weeks.

There was lots to love about the ship, the staff, the food etc. were pretty much what I expect from a Princess cruise...perhaps the staff were a little less motivated but we were told that was because a lot of the older passengers cancelled their automatic tips.

In fact their was so much whinging going on the captain took the extraordinary step of telling the passengers publicly to "get happy or get off" and he was quite entitled.

Did I enjoy my cruise, yes, in fact I am two months out from my third Princess cruise in 11 months...however would I do another long/world cruise on the Dawn Princess no I don't think so. So I have a dilemma. Hopefully cruising remains to grow and grow in our region and we will see better and better ships stationed here because I really really want to see the world from a cruise ship and I really don't want to have to pay in euros/pounds.

Thanks for sharing with us your views on your 6 week cruise of Dawn Princess.

Someone else who did the Cherry Blossom cruise mentioned there were more than the normal amount of 'whingers' on that cruise....such a shame, you have to wonder why these people bother to leave their lounge room in the first place because nothing will ever please them.:(

I suppose if you have to compare with P & O UK and the Arcadia, Aurora etc they were built for world voyages.

I always remember a comment made to friends of mine who were on a 2 week 'cruise' on the old QEll. He complained about something he thought could be better and the Guest Relations Desk answered him very simply with a "Sir this ship was built for World Voyages, she is a Liner not a cruise ship". I guess they could be right....

Jillybean:)

Hi,

My outlaws were on the Cherry Blossom cruise. They are bonafide, card-carrying, life-member, grumpy, old whingers. (And I love them dearly;))

They had an absolute ball for 6 weeks and couldn't understand what the complaints were about. They heard whingers referring to the magnificent dining experience as 'visiting the trough'.

My mother-in-law wants to see the magnificent display homes these people live in and sample the butler-served gourmet meals they must eat every day. She commented how strange it was that the whingers excellent taste and 6 star standard didn't to extend to their clothing.:rolleyes:

It seems some people are only happy when they are whinging.

Cheers

Clive

That almost takes the cake. I heard one 'Old Dear' (second day out) saying "I hope that aren't any more Asian Buffets".

I doubt they will be out eating at roadside stalls in Bangkok, but come on people, going around the world and dont want to sample different food???????????

If Sandy got complaints like that I would not blame her for stating 'get a life'. Can not defend that action, but understand it, sure.

Hi,

My outlaws were on the Cherry Blossom cruise. They are bonafide, card-carrying, life-member, grumpy, old whingers. (And I love them dearly;))

They had an absolute ball for 6 weeks and couldn't understand what the complaints were about. They heard whingers referring to the magnificent dining experience as 'visiting the trough'.

My mother-in-law wants to see the magnificent display homes these people live in and sample the butler-served gourmet meals they must eat every day. She commented how strange it was that the whingers excellent taste and 6 star standard didn't to extend to their clothing.:rolleyes:

It seems some people are only happy when they are whinging.

Cheers

Clive

Hahahahaha.......well said by your Mother-in-Law.

As the saying goes "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time"..

Jillybean:)

That almost takes the cake. I heard one 'Old Dear' (second day out) saying "I hope that aren't any more Asian Buffets".

I doubt they will be out eating at roadside stalls in Bangkok, but come on people, going around the world and dont want to sample different food???????????

If Sandy got complaints like that I would not blame her for stating 'get a life'. Can not defend that action, but understand it, sure.

How old is an "Old Dear"......;)

I think 'Old Dears' can be any age. :D I remember when the Pacific Dawn had every port stop cancelled during the swine flu 'kerfuffle'. :p A father whose child had an injured arm was interviewed leaving the ship and said it was terrible and advised people NEVER to go on a cruise. :( . (We all know a child can get hurt anywhere.)

Most people seemed to enjoy themselves and make the best of it. When there are whingers, I develop selective deafness! :D:D

I absolutely agree with those who say the most important thing to travel with is a sense of humour and a good attitude...you will have a good time if you want to have a good time.

Cant understand the comment about the food on Dawn Princess it was delightful! Too delightful I am still trying to lose kilo's of delightfulness before we go again in November. Those pastry cooks are magicians.

I thought the article was reasonable and balanced, Dawn Princess is a pretty ship, well staffed and Todd McBain is an excellent captain. But for me I would like something with a bit more space for a world cruise.

Whatever the short comings of any cruise compared to our bus trip round Europe trapped in a tin can with a load of people with more "whine" than Concord, never again.

Any day at sea is a good day for me!

Archived