Information about cell service on PG

baf10

I just got back and was very pleased to fnd out that the ship has cell service with GPRS which means if you have a BB you can get emails. The service was on the whole time except when in Papeete. The wifi onboard also worked great in my cabin 721. I used it primarily to make calls using skype. I did not know that the wifi gets turned off at 10pm the last night of the cruise.

I just got back and was very pleased to fnd out that the ship has cell service with GPRS which means if you have a BB you can get emails. The service was on the whole time except when in Papeete. The wifi onboard also worked great in my cabin 721. I used it primarily to make calls using skype. I did not know that the wifi gets turned off at 10pm the last night of the cruise.

Many ships have cell service these days but it is typically via satellite and extremely expensive as one cruiser found out after the last Super Bowl. He watched the match thinking his cell phone was connected to a normal carrier tower whilst in harbour (Ft Lauderdale, I think). He was actually connected via the ships service and his bill for watching the game was in the vicinity of $27,000.

Many ships have cell service these days but it is typically via satellite and extremely expensive as one cruiser found out after the last Super Bowl. He watched the match thinking his cell phone was connected to a normal carrier tower whilst in harbour (Ft Lauderdale, I think). He was actually connected via the ships service and his bill for watching the game was in the vicinity of $27,000.

Wow -- now that's a HIGH bill:eek: Regulars on CC warn members about use of devices that receive or send a signals while on board. Hope the OP will let us know when the bill comes in (also hope it isn't that high).

Which sailing were you on? We just returned from the 20 June sailing and were unable to get any email with his BB...

I was on the same cruise. I got my e-mails everyday. I have service with tmobile. So as soon as i saw that they had GRPS I dialed 611 and was connected to tmobile. I added the international roaming to my phone which costs $5 for 1 week of unlimited e-mails. A phone might default to the local GSM service but I had mine set to me on manual to the ships service. If someone called me it was of cost $4.99 a minute with Tmobile but fortyunately i received no calls. I often turned my phone off.

I also have T-Mobile and was told that I would get service ANYWHERE. I have in the past, but in FP I could get text messages and incoming calls and I could call my voicemail, but I could not dial out at any time. Do you know what I did wrong? I have signed up for roaming service. I am sure it was something I did wrong.

I also have T-Mobile and was told that I would get service ANYWHERE. I have in the past, but in FP I could get text messages and incoming calls and I could call my voicemail, but I could not dial out at any time. Do you know what I did wrong? I have signed up for roaming service. I am sure it was something I did wrong.

I m not sure. I never tried making calls at $5 per minute. I used skype (with my laptop) for calls at 27c a minute and it worked great. While on the phone I also downloaded my email.

Archived