Nassau?

jen2423

Where to get some good bahamian food in Nassau. I have heard about the Fish Fry but DH does not like seafood. Do they sell other food beside seafood? Can anyone recommend a place and a dish for DH? Also we where considering doing a walking tour (if we can find the map), we will be there on Sunday, would this be a good idea?

Thanks

I was in Nassau last summer, and there were two restaurants in that area that I ate at which were considered more of the 'true Bahamian' style places.

We asked every cab driver we had about which were the best places to eat to get the local cuisine, and asked which ones they went to themselves.

Those two were Cafe Skans and Conch Fritters.

They're both on Bay Street, the main shopping/tourist street through downtown. And they're both very close to the straw market.

Cafe Skans had the atmosphere of a mom and pop kind of place. Lots of the locals were there when we were. Very large menu, and pretty cheap, fast service.

The traditional things were there, fried calamari, peas and rice, chicken, BBQ ribs, fish and shellfish... as well as a few more Americanized dishes.

Conch Fritters (which, if I remember correctly is right across the street from the Hilton) was a quieter place. A touch more expensive, but still extremely reasonable. Especially being that the gratuity was included in the bill. My boyfriend and I shared a dish of Mahi Mahi with rice and cornbread, a large salad, a small plate of conch fritters, and I had a drink. And it was only in the range of around $45 (including the tip). Very good food there.

They also have plenty of options other than fish/seafood. Chicken and ribs and even a couple of steaks were on the menu there. And they have some Americanized foods too.

As far as going downtown or to the straw market on Sunday, I'm sure it's a toss up as to how busy it will be. A lot of it depends on how many ships are in on that particular day or what the tourist traffic is like.

The straw market is always going to feel crowded. The walkways are pretty narrow, and of course you'll be hounded by all of the salespeople wanting to 'make you a deal.' But I found a couple of cute little things for gifts and for myself there. Just bargain with all of them ;)

Archived