What things carry an additional charge onboard and kid questions?

Hi,

We are seriously considering a Caribbean cruise this winter on Costa Fortuna - there are 8 of us traveling (4 kids 11, 11, 8, 5). We have all cruised several times but never on Costa. What items should we prepare to pay extra for onboard? I understand alcohol, excursions, tips, spa, etc. but are there other things that carry a charge? Kids club? Room service? Soda card?

Also, does anyone know the types of items on the kids menu? My picky DS loves chicken fingers! He can make do without them for a week, but hoping they may be offered...

Lastly, what hours is the kids club open? I think I read on here that it doesn't open at night until 9pm. What time is it open during the day?

Thanks for any info! :)

The kids menu and Kids Club hours are similar to that of Carnival. Regulare kids food is generally available: pizza, spaghetti, chicken, etc.

The Club will be open different times, depending on whether it is a port day or sea day. And, they definitely were open BEFORE 9pm. Usually there was a morning session (9-12), and afternoon session ( 1-5 or 6) and a night session (7-10). The Club was closed during the morning or afternoon on some of the port days.

Hope that helps!

CeleBrat

We have sailed with Costa twice (and Carnival three times). We enjoyed all of our cruises. We have young children and they did go to Camp Costa on both cruises. Frankly, the hours of Camp Costa were a little different (more European) from Camp Carnival. If I remember, they did take a longer lunch break and they did re-open a little later after dinner than Camp Carnival did. Not deal breakers, just a little less convenient. The counselors did speak english and the children enjoyed going to camp. My children also really enjoyed the waterslide on the Costa Fortuna (and the Costa Magica and all three Carnival ships we sailed on). Check your daily shipboard newsletter for the hours of operation of the waterslide. Also, if you do use the waterslide, and it's hot, consider wearing flip flops that you can carry while sliding. Here is why. When the waterslide is open there will be a line. The deck where you line up to use the waterslide is painted blue and gets a bit hot when the sun is out and bright. Finally, my son is a very picky eater and he found something to eat every night on the Fortuna. I think chicken nuggets are on the children's menu every night. Kids can order from the kid's menu, the adult menu or both (within the same meal). We never purchased soda cards. We carried on a couple of 12 packs of diet coke and regular coke. Enjoy your Costa cruise.

Thanks for the replies - it is good to know the club opens before 9pm in the evenings. The afternoon break doesn't concern me, but the kids like to go the kids club after dinner. Glad to hear they have the usual kid choices too. I have 2 adventurous eaters and one VERY picky eater! Also good to know about the waterslide and flipflops. I'd like to bring some juice boxes onboard for my youngest - hopefully that won't be a problem - not sure if it is best to pack in luggage or in our carry on...

We ended up booking the Western Caribbean on Costa Atlantica - I wasn't able to get adjoining rooms on Fortuna. I am still amazed at the great price and am both excited and a little nervous to try a new line!

Archived