Best Beach Break Option

Kiwi Kid

Have read and read and am just more confused! Friend and I aren't big drinkers, so to pay US$35 for all you can drink + salsa & chips would be wasted on us! Does anyone know which resort it is that Costa Maya Cruise Excursions use for this deal? (Looks like might be Pez Quadro). Like the look of Maya Lun but as it's a taxi ride away, you can't just pop out for a spot of shopping in between catching some rays!

So where would people recommend? Have read reports of drunken louts at these all you can drink places (not sure if it's just confined to spring break). Or rather than book something, should we just get off as quick as we can (3 ships in) and position outselves at a place that looks inviting? Am I right in picking up that beers are around $2 each & margaritas etc around $4?

Any advice greatly appreciated! Cheers, Jo

Have read and read and am just more confused! Friend and I aren't big drinkers, so to pay US$35 for all you can drink + salsa & chips would be wasted on us! Does anyone know which resort it is that Costa Maya Cruise Excursions use for this deal? (Looks like might be Pez Quadro). Like the look of Maya Lun but as it's a taxi ride away, you can't just pop out for a spot of shopping in between catching some rays!

So where would people recommend? Have read reports of drunken louts at these all you can drink places (not sure if it's just confined to spring break). Or rather than book something, should we just get off as quick as we can (3 ships in) and position outselves at a place that looks inviting? Am I right in picking up that beers are around $2 each & margaritas etc around $4?

Any advice greatly appreciated! Cheers, Jo

I would just take a cab into town and settle in wherever looks inviting. Unless you're looking to drink a lot, all you can drink isn't a good deal. In any case, from what I've gathered from these boards, Costa Maya is a pretty easy place to do a spontaneous beach day.

I would just take a cab into town and settle in wherever looks inviting. Unless you're looking to drink a lot, all you can drink isn't a good deal. In any case, from what I've gathered from these boards, Costa Maya is a pretty easy place to do a spontaneous beach day.

Excellent advice. No need for an AI. Cab to town ($3), find a place on the beach you like (just walk along the Malecon), eat and drink what you want to pay for (very reasonable prices) enjoy your day and take a cab back ($2). Cabs are plentiful.

I was looking at the Costa Maya beach break also. I am traveling with a group of 11 including 3 kids under 10 and 2 13 year olds. We were considering booking it if it includes transportation, but we don't know anything about the port. If it's easy to find a beach and cabs are that cheap, we might be better off.

:D Any insight is appreciated!

I was looking at the Costa Maya beach break also. I am traveling with a group of 11 including 3 kids under 10 and 2 13 year olds. We were considering booking it if it includes transportation, but we don't know anything about the port. If it's easy to find a beach and cabs are that cheap, we might be better off.

:D Any insight is appreciated!

Literally, the whole town of Mahajual (maybe 2 miles down the shore from port?) is a strip of beach- it's broken up into different "zones" (for lack of a better word) according to the restaurant that is located nearby. All you have to do is walk down the strip until you find a place that looks to be to your liking. I can't think of an easier place to go to the beach on your own, so to me, the packaged "beach breaks" offered by the cruiseline here don't make much sense financially.

Can you just sit at the beach and not order any food or drink? Or do the resturants own the beach chairs and area in Mahajual?

The beaches are public and you can spread out a towel and sit on the beach.

However, if you use the restaurant's chairs, you should buy something from them. Prices are quite reasonable.

The ships beach tours take you to a small beach not in town, don't waste your money. Just take a taxi van to town $3 and grab a spot on the beach. If you sit at table and chairs a waiter will come around to take your order. Prices are good. When your ready to go back to port there will be lots of cabs along the malacon. $2 back.

Take a cab for a small tour south of town and you will find the old Mahahual with small beach resorts, much better food, cheaper drinks and no street urchins or vendors, or beggars. Cabs are cheap, but make sure you set the price first. Lots of places with no crowds. You get to see the coast and have a much better time.

• 3 weeks later...
The ships beach tours take you to a small beach not in town, don't waste your money. Just take a taxi van to town $3 and grab a spot on the beach. If you sit at table and chairs a waiter will come around to take your order. Prices are good. When your ready to go back to port there will be lots of cabs along the malacon. $2 back.

Does anyone know if the $3 to and $2 from is per person or is it per trip?

• 1 month later...

My conern is we arrive at the port at 10:00 and another ship arrives at 9:00. I am afraid there won't be any chairs left until we get there. I was hoping to be one of the first people off but with the other ship getting in at 9:00 I'm afraid we won't be able to find a place to sit. That's why I was going to do the AI just to guarantee a place for us. Any advice??:)

Archived