Entrance to the Roman Forum

luvcdays

Ciao.

Can anyone tell me where the entrance to the Roman Forum is located? I have alot of notes, but with conflicting information.

Grazie.

From the Colosseum walk east 200m and you will be at the entrance. It's at the intersection of Via di S. Gegorio and Via dei Fori Imperiali. The Colosseo Metro stop will take you right there. That's from my copy of Frommer's Rome Day by Day. It has the best maps of Rome. I never go to Rome without it.

When we were there last October, we came out of the Colosseum and walked south past the Arch of Constantine to the Palatine Hill entrance off of Via di S. Gregorio, to access the Forum (as the previous entrance to the Forum, directly across from the Colosseum entrance, is now closed.)

My Rick Steves (2008) book shows another entrance about mid-way along the Forum, off of Via dei Fori Imperiali ... is that entrance still open?

I don't think so. We were just there in May and we walked ALL THE WAY AROUND the Forum (wanted to see the Circus Maximus) and we only saw one entrance letting people into the Forum.

We toured the Forum on our first trip to Rome and had entered using the Colisum entrance, so were surprised to see they had closed it.

Thank you all for replying, but as anyone who is reading these posts can see, there is still contradiction as to where the entrance is. We will be able to see the Forum from the front of our hotel, but we plan on buying our tickets at the Palatine Hill first, then see the Colosseum, then on to the Roman Forum. We just wanted to avoid any extra walking and would like to know where the newest entrance and exit is.

Maybe someone who "just got back" from Rome will be able to tell me? Please...

Thank you.

Thank you all for replying, but as anyone who is reading these posts can see, there is still contradiction as to where the entrance is.

It's at Palatine Hill on Via di San Gregorio. When the previous entrance closed last year and they started to charge to enter the forum (same ticket as Colosseum/Palatine Hill), this is the entrance that became the new forum entrance. When you come out of the Colosseum, walk past the Arch of Constantine & it's only a short walk to the Palantine Hill entrance. From there, a bit of backtracking through Palatine Hill, to start your tour of the forum.

If you are doing your tour of the forum from the Colosseum end (Arch of Titus), in the direction of Capitol Hill, you can exit at Capitol Hill after the Arch of Septimius Severus.

My Rick Steves (2008) book shows another entrance about mid-way along the Forum, off of Via dei Fori Imperiali ... is that entrance still open?

To answer my own question .... reader feedback (April/09) on Rick Steves Rome 2009 book advises that the Via Fori Imperiali entrance is now closed. Others who provided feedback all said that the Forum entrance is at Palatine Hill on San Gregorio.

To answer my own question .... reader feedback (April/09) on Rick Steves Rome 2009 book advises that the Via Fori Imperiali entrance is now closed. Others who provided feedback all said that the Forum entrance is at Palatine Hill on San Gregorio.

Hi, Susan, I also checked my Rick Steves and the feedback area on his website, and all seem to agree that there only is the one entrance now, near the Palatine Hill.

I walked down the Via Fori Imperiali just a few weeks ago after our wonderful visit to the Galleria Doria Pamphilj, but we totally were focused on the fori across the very wide street and walked on that side, so I cannot offer any personal insight.

I am going with the entrance being on San Gregorio @ Palatine Hill. Thank you all for your help.

Archived