Barcelona Beaches

mapsmom

Does anyone have info about the beaches in Barcelona - we are going in August, and staying at the Grand Hotel Central in the Gothic Quarter. We would love to go to the Barceloneta beaches (not the nude one), but are unsure how to get there - cab, metro, bus, walk?? I am a little intimidated on the metro, not knowing exactly where to go, and not speaking Spanish at all.

Does anyone have info about the beaches in Barcelona - we are going in August, and staying at the Grand Hotel Central in the Gothic Quarter. We would love to go to the Barceloneta beaches (not the nude one), but are unsure how to get there - cab, metro, bus, walk?? I am a little intimidated on the metro, not knowing exactly where to go, and not speaking Spanish at all.

I believe that it's walking distance to the beaches

We went to the beaches in Barcelona on June 1 and walked along the promonade. The beaches were very crowded and there were plenty of topless women at each beach. We took the bus there and the metro back. You could ask at your hotel the easiest way to get there.

If you are staying in the centre of Barcelona you will have no problems walking to the beach. Depending on where you stay it will take you between 20 - 30 minutes. We stayed at the top of La Ramblas and had a wonderful walk down the Ramblas and then onto the beach. We spent a wonderful week-end in Barcelona last year and found it very easy to get around, we either walked or caught the hop-on-hop off sightseeing tour bus.

IMHO, Barcelona beaches are not up to much; narrow, crowded, steep, fairly coarse sand, backed either by busy roads or blocks of flats. I wouldn't bother. If you want a decent beach, and you have sufficient time, take the train down to Sitges, south of the city. Apart from the beaches though, Barcelona is a fantastic city. Don't worry about the metro - it's easy to use and instructions on the ticket machines are in several languages.

If you want to go to a really nice beach, consider taking a train from Barcelona about 45 min to the sea resort of Sitges. The train station in Sitges is only a few blocks from the nice sandy beach and the town is a delightful resort town full of cafes and restaurants. There are also facilities on the beach including changing rooms and showers. My only "heads-up" is that Sitges is a very gay-friendly town, so if you are homophobic you might be offended.

Hank

Archived