Are 3-4 Day Cruises worth it?

What has happened with us living in the Northeast that airfare during the weekends is extremely high especially in the winter months. The last two vacations we have flow from Tuesday-Tuesday and done two days pre-cruise and one night post cruise. Then taken a 4-day cruise. My DH absolutely loves this schedule and for the price, I do too. Only drawback is number of days off from work but I would probably taken 7 business days even with a 7-day cruise. As an example, flight from Portland, ME in March 2010 is $220 r/t from Tuesday-Tuesday in comparision to over $400 per person. Hotel most of the time are much cheaper during the week than on the weekends and a bit quieter as well especially on South Beach. I wouldn't spend the money just to cruise but to extend the vacation on both ends of the cruise.

I could imagine living in Florida that the 3 or 4 night cruises to either the Bahamas are the Caribbean with one or two ports of call are great getaways. The prices are very attractive, especially in Mid-December just for the Holidays.

What's difficult for me to gauge however, is whether or not it is worth it to go on a short cruise, flying in all the way from New Jersey. I would either pick a cruise embarking from Miami, Ft. Laud., or Tampa, so fortunately I could fly there via Southwest.

But I was wondering if it actually is worth considering going on a 4-day getaway cruise? I wouldn't want to spend too much, but just enough to kick back and relax. Also, it would have to land over a weekend, as I don't want to miss too much work.

I am posting it here because it seems that Carnival has the most of these getaway type cruises with the 8 Fantasy class ships sailing almost year-round 3-5 night cruises.

RCI and Celebrity have some pretty good deals too, but not quite as good as Carnival.

I'm open to all opinions and suggestions!

It all depends. For us, no. Unless it's a back-to-back since the closest port is a 2 1/2 hour flight.

Luv the Destiny! 4 and 5 day cruises and affordable balconies! Good Luck!

This is why I wish the Fantasy class ships Elation and Paradise would be refurbished like the Sensation to add balconies. I would really like to cruise in one but the only option I have right now is via a Suite and sometimes $700 is just not worth it to me for a 4 or 5 day cruise. :mad:

I am also from NJ and we have done 4 Florida cruises in the past 15 months....the shortest being 6 days. I would never fly down for a cruise less that 6 days. They certainly do have some great cruise deals out of FL but, when you have to add the airfare, it isn't always that great a deal. Unfortunately, out of this area, the short cruises are usually going up North. We do have a 5 day to Bermuda on RCCI that we have already done 3 times...

We are from PA, flying out of Philly most of the time and have done several 4 day cruises & a 5 day as well. They were part of group cruises with a group that my dh belongs to. While we both enjoyed them, we both feel like by the time you get the feel for the ship & where everything is it is time to pack up your luggage & sit it outside the door. If we lived in FL or close to some other short cruise embarkation port, we would probably do them all the time.

For a great price & low airfare, I would most probably take a short cruise as I love cruising, but prefer at least a 7 day.

Towanda

I live in Michigan and have done 2 Friday- Monday cruises. I have to fly, and I think it is worth it. Yes, it is short and I wish I had more time, but it is still a lot of fun. I usually fly out the day before which makes the trip a little longer. I am a teacher, and I can take these short cruises during the school year and I get a much needed break. I can only go on week long cruises when school is out. I have done some in the summer, but I prefer to cruise when it is cold here. If I want to get out of the cold, I have to do the short cruises.

so fortunately I could fly there via Southwest.

I'm open to all opinions and suggestions!

This is the key to it all, What I would do is keep a eye on SWA ding prices and when the sales book it then.

I just booked a flight from Reno to Tampa for our November cruise on SWA for $90.00 each one way. The return date was not on sale yet so I am still looking for a good price!

I am from PA as well, and usually do 7 day cruises if I am paying to fly to Florida. I have done a few short cruises, but I usually schedule those when I am already in Florida for some other reason. I have a 4 day cruise scheduled for Sept, because friends of ours invited us to join them in Orlando at their timeshare. So, we are spending 5 days with them, and then taking a 4 day cruise. But, having said that, if you can get great airfare with Southwest for example, a short cruise is better than no cruise, in my opinion.

I am doing my first 5 day cruise this October, I live in AR...but airfare if I fly in a day before and leave a day after the cruise is soooo cheap for me right now. We got a great price on this cruise and with airfare... I think it is a great deal for me!!

When I was on my first cruise on the NCL, I said that I would never do a 7 dayer again....(didn't like it all) but I decided to take a chance and did a 7 day with Carnival and absolutely loved it!!!

That being said, I have to agree with Cshultz.... a short cruise is better than no cruise at all, to me....:D

We have a 5 day cruise booked in February 2010 on the Ecstacy. But, we can drive to port. It's a 10 hour drive but since there are 8 of going, it would cost way too much to fly. We chose 5 day cruise due to us taking all of our adult children and none of them have ever been on a cruise. Didn't want to overwhelm them. Now with it just being my husband and myself, we do 7 day cruises but are considering a 4 day and 5 day b2b on the Ecstacy. Now that would be worth it. You have to remember and gauge your travel times.

If you are in NJ, why not take a shorter cruise out of NYC? There are 5 and 6 dayers out there...

Port charges and taxes are OUTRAGEOUS out of the NYC port. It is often less expensive to fly to Miami and take the cheaper cruise.

We have a 5 day cruise booked in February 2010 on the Ecstacy. But, we can drive to port. It's a 10 hour drive but since there are 8 of going, it would cost way too much to fly. We chose 5 day cruise due to us taking all of our adult children and none of them have ever been on a cruise. Didn't want to overwhelm them. Now with it just being my husband and myself, we do 7 day cruises but are considering a 4 day and 5 day b2b on the Ecstacy. Now that would be worth it. You have to remember and gauge your travel times.

10 hour drive???:eek::eek: May the force be with you.

I think if that's all the time you get, do it!

If you fly in direct to Miami on the day of cruise, and return the same way, direct flight home at a good time and with good airfare and cruise prices, do it!

Why Not?

We got a great deal on our spring cruise, good airfare and cruise rates and really enjoyed ourselves.

I normally like to arrive 1~2 days early, especially with European departures in case of any weather or travel delays, but in this case, we arrived early AM day departure day and left after lunch upon arrival back at Miami.

Miami is serviced many times a day by all the major carriers, so shop for the best deal.

Cruise over a holiday and add that extra day!:)

Thanks for the replies so far and the good advice.

I think I am getting the sense that a 3-4 day cruise would not be worth it if I have to fly in.

Too bad... :(

I would have to disagree! I just flew from the northeast to Miami for a three day cruise to the bahamas and LOVED it! I have been on two other cruises, both 8 days, so I was worried this would feel too short, but it was well worth it to get away for a long weekend. We used Frequent Flyer miles to fly to Miami so that did not cost us anything extra. We also arrived the day before and enjoyed the afternoon in Miami. We then arrived at the port just before 11 am and were on the ship, eating lunch and sunning by the pool by 11:30 am so we made the most of that first day in the Miami port. Yes we spent almost two days traveling for a three day cruise, but it sure beat being home for those three days! I would do it!!!

I didn't think we'd enjoy a 4 nighter but we were really surprised how much we loved it! We combined our short Destiny cruise with a stay at our timeshare in Florida before and after and DH works online from the resort. He only lost 2 days work (Thursday and Friday) and we got a 10 day trip out of it. He'd rather be working from Miami than home any day! This September we're doing it again but adding another 4 night cruise so we'll be doing 3 nights Miami/ 4 nights cruise/ 3 nights Miami/ 4 nights cruise/ 3 nights Miami and then home. Seventeen day vacation and he only has to make up 4 days of work!

Self employment is great but the health care sucks.

I would gladly do it over a holiday, but holiday cruises are always more expensive. A 4-day holiday cruise with a balcony is easily the same price as a standard 7-day cruise with a window.

We'll see.

It wouldn't be so much of a problem if I had more than 10 days of vacation time a year. Now my boss probably wouldn't care if I took more, but I'd rather not push things. A good thing is though that vacation days roll over... And I only used 7 prior to October (when it restarts for me). So i will have 13 vacation days next year... :D

The next issue is price, but I can always find a deal. :D

I would gladly do it over a holiday, but holiday cruises are always more expensive. A 4-day holiday cruise with a balcony is easily the same price as a standard 7-day cruise with a window.

We'll see.

It wouldn't be so much of a problem if I had more than 10 days of vacation time a year. Now my boss probably wouldn't care if I took more, but I'd rather not push things. A good thing is though that vacation days roll over... And I only used 7 prior to October (when it restarts for me). So i will have 13 vacation days next year... :D

The next issue is price, but I can always find a deal. :D

Not really on the price, We found a great deal over Easter with NCL on an Aft Balcony cabin, as you stated, look for the deal!

Happy hunting!

Not really on the price, We found a great deal over Easter with NCL on an Aft Balcony cabin, as you stated, look for the deal!

Happy hunting!

NCboatboy, I see from your signature that you have sailed on Carnival, NCL and RCCL. We have cruised on Carnival (Miracle and Valor) and RCCL (Majesty), but never NCL-any thoughts on how NCL compares to the other two cruise lines? Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share!

NCboatboy, I see from your signature that you have sailed on Carnival, NCL and RCCL. We have cruised on Carnival (Miracle and Valor) and RCCL (Majesty), but never NCL-any thoughts on how NCL compares to the other two cruise lines? Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share!

We felt the food wasn't that good on the NCL ships but the overall price of the cruise was cheaper than others. On both NCL cruises we had a lot of onboard credits so we ate in the specialty (pay) restaurants a few times and that food was very good.

One other thing to watch out for with NCL is the number of sea days, and their spacing, which can be excessive if you don't care for them.

Right now, it seems NCL is the price leader and the reason in my opinion is cheaper food and less than desirable itinerary's.

In all other ways I think all the lines are more alike than they are different.

Other than that, we had a great time, NCL is not our first choice but if the price is right and we like the cruise I'll go!:)

Archived