What to do with Young kids in Nassau

ccartman2

This thread may be better in the ports of call thread, but I thought I might get some good answers here. If not, I'll try over there. Anyway, here it goes.

My wife and I will be traveling with our daughter, who will be 17 months at that time, along with my parents, older sister, and my younger sister's three kids (14, 5, 4). We are cruising with Carnival out of Port Canaveral. Obviously the age of the children limits what we can do, but we are going to have to do something, as we are in Nassau for quite a long time.

Any thoughts or ideas on what to do? Right now we are looking at the British Colonial Hilton as an option, but are pretty open to anything. Thanks in advance for your replies.

You could take the kids to the Atlantis Aquaventure, only the 17 month old would not be able to ride the waterslide, but can still play in the water. If your parents don't want to do the water park stuff they could just go to the Atlantis and sight see, gamble, shop and not pay for the excursion. They also have the dolphin encounters which are very neat too. You could also just do a beach day on your own, if you just want to relax and let the kids play. It's been a few years, but I think the Wyndham Crystal Palace(may have changed names since then) will let you use the beach and swimming pool with slide for a small fee. I know you used to be able to just go there and if you gambled you could used the beach, but it seems like that has changed. Since you have the 17 month old with you, you might want to just check into getting a room at the Comfort Suites, that way you will have a room to use for naps and showers and you are allowed to use the Atlantis facilities.

Or, you could just go into town for awhile, and then head back to the ship. It will be viturally empty, and using the pool (that you've already paid for!) is a joy on port days! The ship will feel like your own, private yacht!!!

I wasn't thrilled with the location of BCH. I mean, to be fair, I know it's the closest to the actual cruise ship dock...but because of that, the view isn't the greatest.

I kept being worried that they would finally start the long awaited "dredging for ships like Oasis" that they kept talking about. The dredging was suppose to start in Jan and I think its been held off for now. The dredging would interfere with BCH.

So for Nassau, I have a couple of favorites for my young kids...Atlantis - I reviewed it here...

http://cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com/2008/11/atlantis-paradise-island-bahamas.html

Blackbeards - one side is a stingray excursion, the other is just a beach excursion...my review from our trip here...

http://cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com/2008/09/blackbeards-cay-stingray-excursion.html

The Hilton also recently changed its daypass policy (or so I've read), so now you've got to pay $40 per person, no child rate, which includes $30 worth of food/beverage credit. That's a lot for kids to eat, even at $15 a hamburger. I liked the Hilton when I was there last year with some girlfriends, but the new rates make it not so hot for families IMO.

We'll be there next April with a multigenerational group of 10 adults, my 2-year-old, and a 6-month-old baby...not sure we'll all stay together that day. Some of us want to try Atlantis, but I know my parents wouldn't be into that, so they may do a more traditional tour--they've never been to Nassau. But we're just at the start of planning.

Hi cruisin mama

I just read your blog on Blackbeard's Cay. I live in Florida so warm water is almost a necessity. Do you have any idea what the weather and water temparature is in February. I will be taking my little grand kids on the Monarch of the Seas.

Thanks

Sylvia

Ardastra gardens.

ardastra.jpg

We didn't take the excursion... just kinda went there on our own.

Missed the Marching Flamingos... but ended up meeting the trainer, who was kind enough to let the kids hang with the things.

Additionally, they have this parrot aviary for feeding the birds... That was kinda cool.

ardastra2.jpg

Otherwise... Atlantis is "wow"... kind've expensive... they have this amazing aquarium.

Hi cruisin mama

I just read your blog on Blackbeard's Cay. I live in Florida so warm water is almost a necessity. Do you have any idea what the weather and water temparature is in February. I will be taking my little grand kids on the Monarch of the Seas.

Thanks

Sylvia

Feb is a tough one. Isn't the weather in Nassau pretty much the same as the weather in Florida? So I would say that if its too cold for you to be in the water in Feb where you live, then Nassau would be the same. :)

We went last month on Carnival to Nassau and LOVED the British Colonial. We didn't pay $40 a person. I think we paid like $10 or $20 and our 2 year old was free. It's a short walk,we were the only ones there. The beach is very soft and they have big umbrellas and beach toys for the kids and the pool is a few steps away. We had a great morning there and went back to the boat for lunch! We thought the view was cool for the kids b/c you can see all the boats.

I took pictures of British Colonial Hilton when we were on a boat going past {out to Blackbeards}....so from the water, BCH looks like this

053.jpg

055.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

And then, to the left of BCH {if you are facing it} is where the cruise ships dock. So I took the pictures of BCH then turned around and shot this one....

052.jpg

You have a great variety of ages going with you on this trip. Because of this, my vote is a Sheraton Day Pass....Its $99 for a room for 4. I suggest this over the Wyndham Day Pass ($40 p.p. which includes buffet lunch) because you have a really little one who may need to get out of the sun for awhile. With both passes you can use both resorts (basically one big resort.) There are many pools, a hot tub and even a pool with a big slide. The beach is right there too. You can rent wave runners or even go parasailing. There are places outside to purchase food and drinks also. If you go to the Ports of Call board under Bahamas, look for posts by Scubagirrl......she lives there and has all the latest information.

Archived