How soon is too soon?

mjkbaok

Going through the process of ending a 20 year marriage. I love to cruise but I'm not sure how I feel about going solo. All my friends are married so I would have to go on my own. How long should I wait before trying to cruise solo? Should I go soon or should I wait a while?

There isn't a time limit...go when you're feeling comfortable to do so. If you see an itinerary that takes your fancy and you can afford it financially and can take the time off (if working) then just go for it.

The first solo after being a part of a family, group or couple is as potentially scary as jumping off a cliff, but if you set your mind to doing it asap, and you don't allow the doubts of 'what if' etc get the better of you...then you'll not regret it.

No point sitting thinking about it, just do it....:)

I had to decide that same thing myself. My husband of 30 years very suddenly passed away last year. We both loved to cruise and had been together on 20+ cruises. I know that he would want me to move on and enjoy the life I have left, so, I booked a 3-night cruise for September. I know that it will be hard but I have found strength that I never knew that I had. Only you can decide when the right time is for you.

I completely understand - after 28 years I am "solo" too. I know I want to cruise every year, and more if I could afford it. I decided my upcoming anniversary would be a great time to cruise solo. This way I will not be sitting around feeling sad on the not so special anymore day. Infact I will be parasailing on that day!!! I am now looking forward to my first solo cruise with as much (if not more) excitement then my past cruises. Only you can decide when is the right time to jump into solo cruising - remember, there is no right or wrong time so whatever you decide you will find plenty of support here...I found that out in just a few days reading these boards:)

Thanks for all the advice. I'm sure I will go pretty soon after things are final just so I can de-stress from it all. When I do decide to go I know to get involved in the roll call and also where to get good advice:)

Oh if I were you I would go on the day my divorce is final and celebrate your new life!

As a solo traveler I know you will find it scary at first. In fact I always get a bit nervous when I'm set to go but then once on board I see how nice and friendly everyone is and how much there is to do that I'm thrilled I didn't let fear get in the way of me having fun.

Once you decide when and where you are going be sure to sign up on the Roll Call. You will then be able to meet up with people when and if you want. That way you won't feel so all alone.

Plus plan a few ship excursions and that way you will get to know others on the ship and even though the ship is big I know you will run into many if not all of them again.

Joanne

• 1 month later...
I had to decide that same thing myself. My husband of 30 years very suddenly passed away last year. We both loved to cruise and had been together on 20+ cruises. I know that he would want me to move on and enjoy the life I have left, so, I booked a 3-night cruise for September. I know that it will be hard but I have found strength that I never knew that I had. Only you can decide when the right time is for you.

Congratulations! I will be getting off as you're getting on. Going with friend, but really solo...both have our own cabins and do our own thing with or without the other. Met her on a cruise last year.

Going through the process of ending a 20 year marriage. I love to cruise but I'm not sure how I feel about going solo. All my friends are married so I would have to go on my own. How long should I wait before trying to cruise solo? Should I go soon or should I wait a while?

What are you waiting for? The time is NOW! You won't regret it.

I had to make that decision too......stay at home or go it SOLO. I waited 10 years though.....guess I thought some friends with the same dream as mine would magically materialize. They didn't. So....now I am venturing off alone....and SO excited.

Don't wait........make your dreams come true!!

• 2 weeks later...

cbtravel1, if you haven't gone on your cruise yet ... I have a bit of advise that no one gave me before I went on my 1st cruise after my husband passed away ... DO NOT - for any reason - go into the Photo Gallery!! Seeing a picture of JUST ME (without my husband by my side) almost ruined the whole cruise for me! I got past it, thankfully, but it wasn't easy!

take care,

Karen

cbtravel1, if you haven't gone on your cruise yet ... I have a bit of advise that no one gave me before I went on my 1st cruise after my husband passed away ... DO NOT - for any reason - go into the Photo Gallery!! Seeing a picture of JUST ME (without my husband by my side) almost ruined the whole cruise for me! I got past it, thankfully, but it wasn't easy!

take care,

Karen

Karen, thank you for the advise. I went on my 1st solo cruise last weekend on the Monarch. I did go to the photo gallery and I did buy the picture of just me because it was actually a good picture. I had a really good time on the cruise, I played trivia and met several nice people that enhanced my cruise. Also, I received my first invitation to dine at the Captains table for dinner. That was truly a wonderful experience. I can't wait to take my next cruise but I will have to wait until May for that.

Cherrin

I divorced after a 10 year relationship. Once I settled into a new city and new job, I bought a house then booked a cruise. If you already love to cruise, you will continue to love cruising as a solo, only your personal priorities will dictate.

As far as taking a "photo gallery" photo alone, do what I did, there's always some nice young male crew member nearby, ask him to join you in the picture. Look at that, another memory made! :D

As far as taking a "photo gallery" photo alone, do what I did, there's always some nice young male crew member nearby, ask him to join you in the picture. Look at that, another memory made! :D

I like your idea :D. It would be great to find a good looking officer/crew member to snag for the picture ;). Could have alot of fun with that, people at home would talk

You need to go!!!!! I'm taking my first step with the solo cruise in Feb, alittle nervous, but I know I will enjoy it. If I get abit lonely I will go out and do something, good or bad :p. Just kidding only good :)

You need to go!!!!! I'm taking my first step with the solo cruise in Feb, alittle nervous, but I know I will enjoy it. If I get abit lonely I will go out and do something, good or bad :p. Just kidding only good :)

Sometimes bad could be good;)

You need to just book the cruise.

This afternoon, I booked my first solo cruise on the NCL Spirit. It took me about 1 hour of going back and forth to the reservations page before I finally clicked the "Make Payment" button. The funny thing is that it never would let me book online as it kept giving me some funky error. Had to call the toll free number. I told the lady that I was going solo and she said that it will be okay and a lot of fun. It is certainly a big step to go by oneself but I expect I will meet some new people.

Archived