MSC vs. Costa

chelle74

Our upcoming cruise is booked on Carnival, but my only two previous cruises were on Costa. My family (me, DH, two boys 18months and 11 years at the time) enjoyed Costa, despite the mixed reviews on CC.

We are already looking ahead to a possible cruise on MSC Magnifica next November and wonder if anyone can tell me how MSC compares to Costa (we have been on Magica and Fortuna).

TIA!

We have done both, sailing on the MSC Orchestra this year, and the Costa Fortuna and Costa Mediterranea the last two years before that. They all offered deals that featured "Kids Free", which is too good to pass up.

Both Costa and MSC have similar "quirky" activities" dancing lessons, arts/crafts, bocci ball tournament, mask making, etc.

The Kids Club activities and facilities were FAR BETTER on Costa than MSC. Since it was MSC's first foray into the US this past year, we assumed they just hadn't quite figured out the American market for kids yet.

Costa is a "sister" to Carnival, and their ships are almost exactly identical in layout to the Carnival ships. Fun decor, similar lounges, etc. MSC is more traditional, with "classic" lounges decorated with brass and leather and chrome. We sailed in interior staterooms on all three ships, and MSC is ridiculously small. I think it's a difference of 20 square feet btw the two lines. YIKES!!!

Food on both ships is TO DIE FOR! The REAL gelato in MSC is not-to-be-missed, but requires a fee.

Overall, I'd say MSC is more laid-back, while Costa is more fun.

I have a review of the MSC cruise in my signature (below), if you want more specifics.

CeleBrat

Thanks for your input! We enjoyed the "quirkiness" of Costa, although several other passengers seemed to long for the more Americanized ships. I think my family would enjoy MSC... we're hoping they will be doing 10-night Caribbean itineraries on the Magnifica in November at a decent price, and if so, we're SO there!! I'm not *too* worried about the kids activities since they will both likely spend most of the time with us, anyway.

Thanks again!

Chelle: I have a lot of info about activities from the dalies at home. If interested pls email me. Ask me any questions, we loved MSC ORchestra when it sailed the Caribbean. Quirky, fun , fun, fun! Delightful entertainment group and tops for shows. The food was excellent. The ship was gorgeous...nicer than any Celebrity line we have taken. Ask away...!

Archived