Venice airport 1130AM departure - Am I crazy?

nitroused

I am planning MSC Magnifica cruise Apr 2010, r/t Venice. My 2 options for return flight leave Venice airport at 11:30AM, or 8:30PM. I really don't want to wait around 10 hours after the cruise to fly 20 hours home (SLC). Do I have a good chance of making the 11:30AM flight to JFK?

I know this ship is not in service yet, however I would like opinions by others returning from Venice.

thanks.

I am planning MSC Magnifica cruise Apr 2010, r/t Venice. My 2 options for return flight leave Venice airport at 11:30AM, or 8:30PM. I really don't want to wait around 10 hours after the cruise to fly 20 hours home (SLC). Do I have a good chance of making the 11:30AM flight to JFK?

I know this ship is not in service yet, however I would like opinions by others returning from Venice.

thanks.

What time is your ship scheduled to get into port? That will help others with info about your 11:30 flight time.

Hopefully someone can respond to you and include information about the disembarkation process. (seems like it was stressful two years ago, but maybe that was because it was our first time there and we were exhausted.) I've read that there are taxis readily available for airport runs, so that should help out with your flight time.

I am having the same type of problem for May 2010 - Princess Cruise Lines. Our port arrival time is 1 a.m., but I am not sure what time they let you disembark and how long it will take. Right now our flight options are 6:30 am or 8:30 pm. Hopefully they will add some 11:30 flight times for us.

According to the 2010 MSC brochure your ship's scheduled arrival time in Venice is 9:30am. See below...

I wouldn't even consider an 11:30am flight departure. Even if you did self-disembarkation and everything went like clockwork, it's doubtful you could make your flight. Disembarkation doesn't necessarily begin at the stated arrival time. There are so many things that could delay your getting to the airport in time.

You might want to consider staying overnight in Venice and taking that flight the following day. Venice is a fantastic city. We discover something new on each visit.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

20090718-g3ps7mit44bc15eckwmak1u5rq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed an extra day in Venice about a year and a half ago. We stayed near St. Marks pre-cruise, but we had a 6:30AM flight the day after the cruise and elected to stay near the airport on our return. There is a Courtyard Marriott near the airport. We got our bags from the ship and took the ship's free shuttle to Piazza Roma, and from there took the bus to the airport -and the stop for the Courtyard is one stop from the airport and is right in front of the hotel. Just tell the driver you want to stop there. Cost was very inexpensive; about 4 Euros if I remember correctly.....it is do-able if you have just few pieces of luggage........we checked into the hotel, and immediately walked across the street and got the bus to return back to Piazza Roma...you can even purchase the bus ticket at the front desk of the hotel....From Piazza Roma, we took the water bus down to Rialto and explored from there on foot and did not have to worry about the time.....later that evening, we went back to Piazza Roma and took the airport bus back to the hotel.....this will give you an extra day to relax and explore Venice and not have to worry about the time.....the hotel also offers a free shuttle to the airport the next morning, but sign up for it the day before.....the first shuttle will get you to the airport for the earliest flight as the airport closes for the night and re-opens the next morning....the hotel is so close to the airport you could walk there if you have rolling bags and not many of them.....if you stay in Venice (not on the mainland near the airport) the night before your flight, you will have to deal with private water taxis to get you to the airport in time for a very early flight and the cost can be several hundred dollars........staying near the airport the night before an early flight works out much better. I would not even attempt to try to make a flight out of Venice before 2 or 3pm on the day your ship arrives.

Archived