Warnemunde & Rostock

The pictures is from 2007.

Our inflation is not as high...

Have 2 x 50 Cent with you to be sure...

Thanks HeinBloed but I'm still confused about whose coin you are speaking of.

Is that a 50 cent euro (I'm sorry, I don't even know if there is such a coin.)

Sorry to be so uninformed about "foreign money". Is it typical in Europe to

have pay restrooms?

Thanks HeinBloed but I'm still confused about whose coin you are speaking of.

Is that a 50 cent euro (I'm sorry, I don't even know if there is such a coin.)

Sorry to be so uninformed about "foreign money". Is it typical in Europe to

have pay restrooms?

2007WmdWCF08-vi.jpg

It's not unpopular to pay for the use of public toilets.

In public buildings like shopping malls it varies.

In restaurants or stores where there is a guard you normally do a little change (about 20 Cent) into a saucer if someone is sitting there.

But in many cases you need to have some change 50 Euro-Cent to use the access control.

Check here for the coins:

http://www.ecb.eu/euro/coins/common/html/index.en.html

Regards

HeinBloed

Dear Heinbloed, Your web site has great information. Thank you! Do I understand the information correctly that the S-3 commuter train on Saturday to the main train station, only runs at 6 minutes after the hour commencing at 9:06am? We dock at 6:00 am and should be able to deboard by 7:00am. We would like to make it to the main Rostock train station by 8:10 am in order to catch the 8:34 am train to Berlin. Is this possible with the s-3 commuer train? How do we "prebook" a taxi? Hopefully HAL will provide buses into town and we can get to the main Rostock train station from there. What are our options for returning to the ship from the main train station after 6:30 pm? Thank you very much for all your information. It is very helpful! :)

Dear Heinbloed, Your web site has great information. Thank you! Do I understand the information correctly that the S-3 commuter train on Saturday to the main train station, only runs at 6 minutes after the hour commencing at 9:06am? We dock at 6:00 am and should be able to deboard by 7:00am. We would like to make it to the main Rostock train station by 8:10 am in order to catch the 8:34 am train to Berlin. Is this possible with the s-3 commuer train? How do we "prebook" a taxi? Hopefully HAL will provide buses into town and we can get to the main Rostock train station from there. What are our options for returning to the ship from the main train station after 6:30 pm? Thank you very much for all your information. It is very helpful! :)

There is one way to catch the train.

Bus 45 towards Warnowblick

leaves at 07.32 hrs

THIS BUS WILL CHANGE IT'S FINAL DESTINATION DURING YOUR RIDE TO

Bus 14 towards Dierkower Kreuz

(I am not sure about the display: Any combination of

14 or 45

Warnowblick or Dierkower Kreuz

will be correct)

arrives at Dierkower Kreuz at 08.01 hrs

Transfer to Tram 3 towards Neuer Friedhof

leaves at 08.10 hrs

arrives at Hauptbahnhof (Central Station = Rostock Hbf) at 08.21 hrs

Single ticket 1.70 EUR to pay with the driver.

Regards

HeinBloed

There is already a S3 commuter train at 07.06 hrs but you have a longer waiting time at Rostock Hbf - but no need to buy extra ticket if you bought Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket online.

Dear HeinBloed,

First of all, we are really sorry if this question has been posted to you before, we could not locate the info. We have rented a car with Hertz to be delivered to P7 in Warnemuende (and confirmed the delivery using your advise). We plan on driving to Berlin and using a local Berlin company as a guide for 4 of us to maximize quality use of very limited time we have. Could you recommend your favorite guide (company) to hire? We arrive Warnemuende on Oceania Regatta on August 4th.

Many thanks

Dear HeinBloed,

First of all, we are really sorry if this question has been posted to you before, we could not locate the info. We have rented a car with Hertz to be delivered to P7 in Warnemuende (and confirmed the delivery using your advise). We plan on driving to Berlin and using a local Berlin company as a guide for 4 of us to maximize quality use of very limited time we have. Could you recommend your favorite guide (company) to hire? We arrive Warnemuende on Oceania Regatta on August 4th.

Many thanks

Sorry - but I lived in Berlin before so I normally do not hire anyone.

This is the association of the guides in Berlin.

http://www.berlin-guide.org/

I normally contact them if I am going to other places.

So I hired a guide for us in Rome or on Malta or in Gdansk or in Tallinn - so just the guide - nothing around...

Here are some suggestions I found by google which offer such commercial services.

http://www.anke-fromme.de/stadtfuehrungen-berlin/touren-english.html

http://www.berlin-4d.de/English/english.html

http://www.berlin-starting-point.de/Berlin_tour_guides/berlin_tour_guides.html

Have a good day in Berlin.

Regards

HeinBloed

HeinBloed,

Many thanks for the links. We have emailed to a couple of guides from www.berlin-guide.org and to Dr. Anke Fromme. Seems like a better option than those companies catering to cruiseship passengers with a full door to door service. We will keep you posted.

Dr. Anke Fromme has replied but will be on vacation during our visit, so will be all her colleagues. No luck here.

From berlin-guide.org a reply came only from Sigrid Harms. We were very pleased with her suggested itinerary and would like to use her services. Here is her proposal:

"We meet at Zoologischer Garten (Zoo-Station) in the former West-Berlin, drive along Kudamm and the City West to the Brandenburg Gate. From there we can walk along the Holocaust Memorial to Potsdamer Platz. There we can continue driving and visit Checkpoint Charly, the promenade Unter den Linden, Alexanderplatz, the Museums-Island and have a look at some remains of the wall.

For a quick lunch we can stop at Hackescher Markt, which is the former Jewish quarter and has a lot of picturesque courtyards to look at.

If we have some time left we can have a look at an residential area like Prenzlauer Berg or Kreuzberg. Or we go to a museum.

I can create the tour according to your wishes, even spontaneously."

HeinBloed, would you add/delete anything from this itinerary? Are there any major or minor "must sees" that are missed? Timewise, we hope to spend full 8 hours in Berlin. Thank you again for your assistance.

Dr. Anke Fromme has replied but will be on vacation during our visit, so will be all her colleagues. No luck here.

From berlin-guide.org a reply came only from Sigrid Harms. We were very pleased with her suggested itinerary and would like to use her services. Here is her proposal:

"We meet at Zoologischer Garten (Zoo-Station) in the former West-Berlin, drive along Kudamm and the City West to the Brandenburg Gate. From there we can walk along the Holocaust Memorial to Potsdamer Platz. There we can continue driving and visit Checkpoint Charly, the promenade Unter den Linden, Alexanderplatz, the Museums-Island and have a look at some remains of the wall.

For a quick lunch we can stop at Hackescher Markt, which is the former Jewish quarter and has a lot of picturesque courtyards to look at.

If we have some time left we can have a look at an residential area like Prenzlauer Berg or Kreuzberg. Or we go to a museum.

I can create the tour according to your wishes, even spontaneously."

HeinBloed, would you add/delete anything from this itinerary? Are there any major or minor "must sees" that are missed? Timewise, we hope to spend full 8 hours in Berlin. Thank you again for your assistance.

Sounds nearly perfect to me:

I maybe would add the Memorial of the Berlin Wall.

Furthermore ask the guide if he can book a table at Käfers in the Dome of the Reichstag to have a cup of coffee and a piece of cake there.

Depending to the weather and your time budget a short boat tour on river Spree would be great.

Hackescher Markt is a good place to have lunch where you do not meet tourists but many locals as well.

Depending how much time you have in Berlin I would not add anymore as the foot walk could be endless...

Good choice.

Regards

HeinBloed

Sounds nearly perfect to me:

I maybe would add the Memorial of the Berlin Wall.

Furthermore ask the guide if he can book a table at Käfers in the Dome of the Reichstag to have a cup of coffee and a piece of cake there.

Depending to the weather and your time budget a short boat tour on river Spree would be great.

Hackescher Markt is a good place to have lunch where you do not meet tourists but many locals as well.

Depending how much time you have in Berlin I would not add anymore as the foot walk could be endless...

Good choice.

Regards

HeinBloed

HeinBloed,

We appreciate your time and willingness to help. We think we clicked with Sigrid. She even offered to drive our rental during the tour to make our life less stressful. Her comment on your suggestion to book a table at Käfers was "sure I will ring them but I am not sure if we can book just a coffee and cake." Just letting you know. Again, big thank you for your help!

HeinBloed,

We appreciate your time and willingness to help. We think we clicked with Sigrid. She even offered to drive our rental during the tour to make our life less stressful. Her comment on your suggestion to book a table at Käfers was "sure I will ring them but I am not sure if we can book just a coffee and cake." Just letting you know. Again, big thank you for your help!

I would not tell it the reservation desk... just book a table... If you are in the afternoon they will understand that you might just want to have a snack...

I think that you book with HERTZ with an GPS.

So the best is to meet your guide at

Budapester Strasse 39 in Berlin (Schoeneberg (district) / 10787 (postal code))

It's the HERTZ-location JUST ROUND THE CORNER OF ZOO STATION.

You need to register the 2nd driver personally in Germany.

The parking would be at Nuernberger Strasse (for your GPS).

Have a good time.

HeinBloed

Archived