1st Timer Questions, Questions........

NETexan

Hey Everybody,

I am going on my 1st cruise of any kind. Have booked Sept 5th Whittier to Vancouver on the Diamond Princess through a travel agent. She said my "papers" will not arrive until about 2 weeks before the cruise...... and I am a worrywart about everything. You may ban me after one post!!!

1. We are arriving at Anchorage at 1:10pm and my understanding is that Princess provides transportation from the airport to Whittier. How long is this trip and does anyone have any other info on how it goes?

2. Since we have booked, my reading tells me that September is the rainiest season for Alaska and Whittier gets a lot of rain during this time. Will I be standing in some sort of line waiting to board, in the rain?.... Did I make a mistake by not booking it earlier in the summer?

3. The reason this is my first cruise is the fact that my wife gets motion sickness very easily. This looks like a huge ship. Any suggestions other than the ginger, sea band, Bonine stuff?

4. The itinerary says we set sail at 9pm from Whittier. I have heard that you have to go through a litany of safety exercises before you depart. Any info on that?

Ok, Ok, I know everybody is rolling their eyes by now so I will stop with this "short" list. I appreciate any advice or information anyone can pass on.

FYI, booked a balcony room on the Aloha deck. Will I be able to sit on the balcony and drink a cup of coffee in Sept, or will it be too cold?

Ok, I'm really through this time. Thanks

Yes, it rains in Whittier in Sept, but the cruise lines are not going to leave you standing in the rain. The safety drill will take place after the ship sails. They won't keep it a secret.

Weather varies in Alaska. Some mornings it will be chilly for the coffee on your balcony, but when the ship is not moving or when you get a nice day; it will be OK.

If your spouse has serious problems with motion sickness, she needs to talk to her doc first and not take advice from a WEB site.

There are at least a 1000 posts of advice on how to pack, dress, tour and etc. in Alaska. Get past Page 1 on this topic and start reading.

You will be glad you missed the crowded part of the cruise season in Alaska. Really glad!

Princess only provides transportation, IF you have purchased their transfer. Verify this with your agent. The bus takes about 1 1/4 hours, plus tunnel wait time. Sit on the right side of the bus for the Arm views.

There is no point asking about the weather, completely unpredictable- I'm assuming you aren't going to change your dates?? Be prepared with good rain gear, and two pair of walking shoes.

Motion sickness prevention, you need to consult with your health care professional. There are side effects to anything ingested. The potential is there, despite, the "smooth as glass" sailing reports, again, no guarantee. I've seen plenty of sick people sailing Alaska. Hopefully you have a low and mid ship cabin??

No you don't go through any safety excercises, other than the life boat drill. This takes, maybe 30 minutes.

It is going to be cool/cold out on the balcony during sailing. Again, proper attire is vitally necessary. Be well prepared with layers, knit hat, gloves etc etc.

You need a port side cabin, IF you only want your glacier viewing from your cabin. Otherwise, be sure to get out on deck. Superior views with the ability to move with the sights.

Thanks for the replies. No BQ, I am now locked on the date, so I am just trying to get as ready as I can.

We are on the port side, about 2 days after I scheduled the cruise this occurred to me and I was able to change sides. I thought my TA should have discussed this with me, but oh well.

If my spouse enjoys it without motion sickness issues, we might start cruising regularly. The kids are now grown, and we magically have extra money to go and do!!!

Sea sick med's are usualy available at the front desk.

The ships have stablizers and this will help a lot.

I was afraid I would get sea sick so we got the med's etc for the first cruise. Happly we do not have to repeat the procedures. We do get some med's from the ship for sea excursions just to be safe. However they do make you a little sleepy.

You have learned that many travel agents are either not helpful or just don't know about Alaska.

Come here first!

September is the final month of the 2009 Alaska cruise season. It is September or wait until next May. I would take the cruise you have booked and enjoy it. I never cruise Alaska during high season. I need the cooler Alaska weather after a North Texas summer. I really need it!

Thanks for the replies. No BQ, I am now locked on the date, so I am just trying to get as ready as I can.

We are on the port side, about 2 days after I scheduled the cruise this occurred to me and I was able to change sides. I thought my TA should have discussed this with me, but oh well.

If my spouse enjoys it without motion sickness issues, we might start cruising regularly. The kids are now grown, and we magically have extra money to go and do!!!

Answers, answers! This board is full of answers. Read and learn. But remember that the answers are entirely the personal opinions of the particular posters.

There are many seasickness remedies and everybody has their own solution. My wife gets seasick (but continues cruising!) and she uses the ReliefBand (not the seabands) and it works for her. Google it.

BQ has a tendency to get people all excited about port side cabins for Glacier Bay. It depends very much on the Captain and the route the ship takes, but it is true that the main glaciers (Johns Hopkins and Margerie) will often come into view first on the port side. HOWEVER the Captain almost always maneuvers the ship so that anyone in any balcony gets a glacier view as the ship rotates. We had a starboard side balcony once, and we were sure that the Captain kept that side of the ship toward the glacier for much longer ... possibly because the port side did have a view coming in. And of course, if the port side was toward the glacier coming in, then the starboard side is toward the glacier going out. OTOH, many people like the port side cabins southbound for the more frequent views of the shore, while others find the sea view on the starboard side more restful. There are many other reasons someone might pick a particular cabin location. For instance personally I would choose to be close to the elevators, no matter which side of the ship.

Using the balcony while the ship is moving is frequently not comfortable because of the wind, which can drop the temp another 20 degrees or so. When the ship is in port it is pretty nice, but while the ship is in port you are usally off the ship! In Glacier Bay, as BQ says, it is much better to be up on deck instead of in your cabin because port or starboard you still only get half the viewing time. In fact, the only time we get a balcony is when it is a free upgrade from the lowest outside cabin we booked!

You have learned that many travel agents are either not helpful or just don't know about Alaska.
Yep, and many bankers are either not helpful or don't know much about money market accounts, and many used car salesmen are either not helpful or don't know much about Volkswagens. You have to qualify your professionals in any field. If you go to a gynecologist, you check to make sure she is a member of the American College of Gynecologists and board certified, don't you? When you go to a TA, you check to see that she is an Accredited Cruise Counselor of CLIA.

Now my DW happens to be a Master Cruise Counselor, and has cruised to Alaska personally eight times. And frankly, she does not worry about telling her customers some general rule about which side of the boat they should be on. She does however discuss MANY factors affecting cabin selection, and after finding out the customer's particular expectations and needs may make a recommendation for THAT special customer. (and incidentally she does NOT solicit internet business.)

Have a GREAT cruise!

Go to the Princess website and complete your cruise personalizer information - you'll download your boarding pass etc directly from the website - complete the passport data etc. You can also start reviewing the excursions now through the personalizer - see brief video clips as well. Even though we booked independently for a number of excursions, the clips can be helpful and also rev-up your excitement level.

The life-boat drills on Princess are indoors at various assigned locations, like the Wheelhouse bar, Universal loungs etc., so you don't need to be concerned about getting soggy during the 30 minute exercise. And when we debarked the Coral two years ago, they had a canopy covering the walk-way from the bus locations to the ship.

Layers, layers, layers as far as clothing goes - you should see some great sales on fleece, sweats etc in port so there is always an opportunity to buy more clothing if needed :). I tend be on the balcony with binoculars even if fully bundled in hat, gloves and jacket. I understand you can also get a lap-blanket and use it on your balcony to help stay snug - we plan to check that out on our September 7th NB cruise this year!

Have a wonderful cruise!

NETexan,

Welcome to Cruise Critic! As others have mentioned there is a wealth of information here. I discovered this site after my 2nd cruise and wished I would have sooner.

I don't think you can go wrong cruising to Alaska in any month. I went in June and July and we had a little rain on both trips but still had a wonderful time. Overcast skies make the ice look more blue. Even though we had a balcony on our July cruise, I still found it too cold to sit out there for an extended period of time even with a jacket and wool blanket over me (I get cold easliy) but I got some fantastic pictures from our balcony. I also hear there are some great sales in Sept because it's the end of the season.

As far as motion sickness, I once traveled with a friend who used "Trip Ease" - made by the same company that makes No Jet Lag. She said it helped her a little bit and it's a nice alternative if your wife prefers the holistic approach. It is homeopathic and can be taken safely with other meds.

You'll have a great time - Alaska is so majestic and I keep wanting to go back there even though I'm someone who usually prefers to not repeat the same vacation spots because there's so much to see in the world.

Thanks for your insights!!! After reading your posts I am fired up and ready to go today!

Sounds like the balcony is going to be pretty cold. I thought if it was rainy and really cold the balcony (or looking out the door to it) might be my best viewing area. Is there a roof over my balcony?

Penny, I can relate to the heat since I am just NE of you. I also live in a 1 travel agent town, and have booked things in the past on the net, but since I knew so little about this cruise, used the agent. I should have simply signed on here and done it myself. Oh, well.

My wife is the shopper in the house, so hopefully there will be some winter type clothing for sale somewhere in August!! Mine probably needs some upgrading. Most of my winter garb relates to deer hunting and is not very fashionable.

Does anyone have experience with the Diamond Princess?

NETexan. Check out Cabella's! Also Bass Pro. Sounds like they aren't far from you.

Wearing your hunting gear would fit in for Alaska. I wouldn't buy more clothes if yours is OK for the weather. Fashionable is the last word I would use about Alaska.

Coming out of a Texas summer, I guarantee you will feel good when a little chilly. Luxury! Think of it as a/c you don't have to pay for! Also you will love having fresh, clear (not dusty) air.

Think of clothes you can layer for your outdoor needs. See if you can borrow what items you don't already own. Your wife will want to have along her best anti-dry skin lotion and face creams. Alaska weather can really dry you out.

Take plenty of photos and put them in your screen saver. Next summer you will really love looking at them and remembering all that you saw in Alaska....and that cool air!

Have a wonderful trip. Bon Voyage!

Hi! Another Texan here from Ft. Worth.....you are going to LOVE Alaska! With the 105 degree weather we've been having here, any lower degree temperature is going to be so worth it to you. My husband and I have been twice and are going back in about 3 weeks. We absolutely love Alaska and believe it is some of the most beautiful land we've ever seen.

We always find out about our cruises/cruise price deals on the Internet and book that way. We used Vacations to Go this time, which is a cruise travel agency out of Houston that does mostly Internet stuff. We've used them before and get good deals through them.

When you're initially checking into the ship, you are in a building, so don't worry about getting rained on. My husband and I have been very lucky, in that we haven't gotten rained on in Alaska yet (knocking on lots of wood). We did get VERY cold mist/fog on us at Glacier Bay, but it was so beautiful it was worth it.

Have a wonderful time on your trip. You're going to love cruising, and I'm sure you'll go back for more!

Thanks for your insights!!! After reading your posts I am fired up and ready to go today!

Sounds like the balcony is going to be pretty cold. I thought if it was rainy and really cold the balcony (or looking out the door to it) might be my best viewing area. Is there a roof over my balcony?

Penny, I can relate to the heat since I am just NE of you. I also live in a 1 travel agent town, and have booked things in the past on the net, but since I knew so little about this cruise, used the agent. I should have simply signed on here and done it myself. Oh, well.

My wife is the shopper in the house, so hopefully there will be some winter type clothing for sale somewhere in August!! Mine probably needs some upgrading. Most of my winter garb relates to deer hunting and is not very fashionable.

Does anyone have experience with the Diamond Princess?

I have spent most of my Adult life as an Outdoor writer, most of it in Alaska, There is hardly a river or destination that I haven't visited with a Fishing Rod or a Firearm. I have been up and down the Passage way dozens of times at all times of the year. Alaska weather is just a Hit and miss deal, I have seen weather in Sept, that by Mid day, you wished you had shorts on, I have always been caught in some pretty awesome Snow and Rainstorms. However, this said, the same applies from May to August, Never ever go to Alaska without proper Rain Gear, invest in some good raingear that lets the air in while wearing it, get some shoes, boots that are rainproof. Wet feet will ruin a trip, Cabela's - Bass Pro are both an excellent sourse to find proper rain protection without breaking the bank. Folks mentioned wearing layered clother, excellent suggestion, bring a small back pack to put additional clothing items in or to place un needed items in as well. You will enjoy your trip to Alaska, believe me, just be prepared for the worst and expect the best. Three years ago I was fishing in the boundry of the Tongass National Park just South of Sitka and the Temperatures for three days in row hit 80 degrees

My wife and I are doing a Silversea Cruise on the Shawdow leaving Vancouver on Sept 12th. Come rain, snow or sunshine I know we will enjoy it. Alaska never fails to amaze me, its beautiful under almost any weather condition (maybe not extreme Fog), the wildlife is the best North America has to offer, get out of the Cities while in Port and explore its Beauty, some of the trips are priciy but you might never have the opportunity to do it again.

"Mitch"

All good advice above. Make sure you have a good coat and go out on the deck to enjoy the scenery. If it rains, and it will a bit, just use the balcony and enjoy it there. I have not had any sickness on the Inside Passage cruise. I've also been Halibut fishing out of Seward and not had trouble. There just aren't big waves like you will find on Caribean cruises for example.

It will be cool but if sunny 60 there seems like 80s here in East Texas. Our son lives in Anchorage and the weather in summer is phenominal. Plus you get long days. Less so in September but still good.

As far as lines and drills it will be fine. Haven't gone out of Whittier but the embarkation in Seward takes place in a huge indoor terminal. Bet it is the same in Whittier.

Good advice about getting on the right side of the bus going from Anchorage to Whittier. The Turnagain Arm will be on your right for miles on the way.

Alaska is a wonderful destination. In my visits I have run into a ton of Texans there. The lifelong locals still deny that they are part of the US which makes Texas the biggest state after all. :)

Yall enjoy.

This is a terrific message board. Been reading over on the "roll call" for this cruise, and it sounds like I need to get the wife in front of the computer and start booking some shore excursions, before they get full.

I now wish we had flown to Anchorage the day before the cruise starts. The way the TA/Princess did it, we fly from DFW at 7:15am to Seattle, change planes and leave again in less than an hour (why not a nonstop?) and on to Anchorage arriving at 1:10pm and on to the ship. Will probably sleep good that night.

Looks like the train in Skagway, and possible Harv and Marv in Juneau. I am a detail oriented person who frets over every detail of our vacations (to the dismay of my fellow travelers!), so I probably need to just book the excursions and quit worrying about which one is "best".

Thanks for all your input!! I need all I can get.

NETexan, is it too late to change your flights to the day before? That is going to be a mad rush. There are a few non-stops from DFW to Anchorage, but they are uncommon and expensive. I don't want to worry you, but you need to know that schedule is too tight for a cruise departure day.

My favorite hotel in Anchorage is the Captain Cook but the rooms vary a great deal. You need to telephone up there and ask a lot of questions. Some rooms are a lot better than others.

I've been going in and out of Alaska for decades. Came down to Texas to earn a living.

Please, please look into changing your flights into Anchorage to at least one day prior. You can blame this old woman who is to the west of you out on a mesa.

NETexan, is it too late to change your flights to the day before? That is going to be a mad rush. There are a few non-stops from DFW to Anchorage, but they are uncommon and expensive. I don't want to worry you, but you need to know that schedule is too tight for a cruise departure day.

My favorite hotel in Anchorage is the Captain Cook but the rooms vary a great deal. You need to telephone up there and ask a lot of questions. Some rooms are a lot better than others.

I've been going in and out of Alaska for decades. Came down to Texas to earn a living.

Please, please look into changing your flights into Anchorage to at least one day prior. You can blame this old woman who is to the west of you out on a mesa.

I think it is rushed/hectic also. My TA booked the cruise, and didn't even know the flight schedule until I looked it up on Princess' Cruise Personalizer. She advised me at the time that it would be better to let Princess handle the flight as a package deal. I am surprised that Princess would want that tight of a schedule, but they won't be the one worn down by it. I guess I can either go back and try to change it through Princess, or tough it out.

I would call Princess and be really, really sweet. Mention that I walk really slow and can't possibly run through airports to catch flights. That I might well miss my connection in Seattle. Then I would offer to pay a fair change fee.

I've had good things happen when I was really nice and asked politely. Princess might really want you to change that flight. It won't hurt to ask.

Good luck!

I can help you with a couple of your questions if they have already not been answered above. The safety drill is done the following late morning. Also, it was too cold for this Texan to be out on the balcony in the morning in July, so I know that it will probably be too cold in Sept. The balcony is still very enjoyable, but you will need a jacket most of the time. Pack a small travel size umbrella, because it is subject to rain at anytime. Long lines don't happen too often, but if you try to do an activity at the same time as everyone else...well...all bets are off.

Most of all, don't hesitate to frequent this messageboard and use the search engine to find out the answer to any question that you will probably have.

NETexan: you'll love the balcony even if the weather is cool. but, the diamond will have wool blankets that you check out and use on the open decks and balconies. you'll find the check-out table located on the port side lido deck (don't know if there is also a table on the starboard side). just leave your room number and pick up a toasty wool blanket to wrapy around you.

Netexan: Well, it is a good thing you made your flights and transfers through princess. In case your schedule is running you late, they are responsible for you getting onto the ship before it leaves.

If you had made all your own flight schedules and transfers, you would be on your own for getting to the ship on time.

Have a great time. Alaska is a great place for the majesticness of the beauty of the mountains and waterways.

When flying to Anchorage sit on the right side of the plane cause the views out the right side flying into Anchorage are gorgeous of the mountains. I think the good view starts about 1 hour before you get to Anchorage.

Once you go to Alaska, you wll probably be hooked like the rest of us who could go back there as often as we can.

Another thing you might want to check on: When we began traveling to Alaska we took Alaska Air. On the initial flight we signed up for an Alaska Air Visa card. We got 25000 miles upon signing up. That's one ticket with Alaska. I use the card for everything. We get a free flight or two each year depending on card use and we also get a companion fare each year for $50. Buy one flight and get a second ticket for $50.

We very much like Alaska Air and enjoy a stopover in Seattle to stretch the legs and get a coffee or snack. Also they have digital video players on most flights for like $5 and two can use it.

Sorry for sounding like an Alaska commercial, but for folks who plan trips to Alaska yearly it is a great deal.

Archived