Azamara's shore excursion to Meteora

Sprigs616

Hi,

Has anyone taken Azamara's shore excursion to Meteora from Volos? It's nearly a three-hour trip one-way, so I'm particularly interested in knowing what type of bus is used (e.g., comfortable seats, washroom onboard, etc.), the nature of the road (twisty the whole way?), and whether there are stops along the way. I searched under Ports of Call but couldn't find a thing.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

GG

Kalimera

We were just in Meteora as part of our on our own land vacation throughout Greece..

Since you asked about facilities on the bus....

I want you to know once your reach the monastaries/nunneries

EVERY SINGLE ONE doesn't have porcelin toilets it is a squat pot.

be prepared for that.

By the end of our 24 day vacation with food poisoning...

I was truly praying to the porcelin god, in hopes that anywhere he would show himself :D

It is a hilly road into the monastaries (obviously)

I really can't see you having time for more than 2-3 Monastaries. probably only 2

If you are or traveling with women you will need a skirt, they do provide them but on a 1st come 1st serve basis

and they are pretty dirty. I just packed one I picked up on a end of the season clearance rank and then dumped later.

It is a climb, so if you aren't in shape...start training.

We are currently working on our photos to put up on our website..

I will let you know when they are up

We were just in Meteora as part of our on our own land vacation throughout Greece.. Since you asked about facilities on the bus.... I want you to know once your reach the monastaries/nunneries EVERY SINGLE ONE doesn't have porcelin toilets it is a squat pot. be prepared for that.

Ahhh .. good insight. I've experienced the squat pots during my travels in Malaysia and China, some of which were communal :eek: and well beyond my worldliness :o. Are the squat pots at the monastaries in private stalls or communcal?

If you are or traveling with women you will need a skirt, they do provide them but on a 1st come 1st serve basis and they are pretty dirty. I just packed one I picked up on a end of the season clearance rank and then dumped later.

Another great tip. I'll bring a (long?) skirt well suited for climbing stairs.

It is a climb, so if you aren't in shape...start training.

Ugh!

We are currently working on our photos to put up on our website.. I will let you know when they are up

Awesome .. thanks so much for the great advice!

We were on Peter Deilmann's Deutschland a few years ago. We docked in Volos and buses took us to Meteora. I think it was closer to two hours each way. The trip was wonderful, roads good and very twisting and steep once you started the mountain climb to see the monastaries. Such a sight perched on those cliffs. On top of one of the mountains in the distance, there was a man playing Amazing Grace on the bag pipes and the haunting sound filtered through peaks and valleys. We had a wonderful lunch at a hotel in Meteora, a little time to shop and then most of us slept(nice vino with lunch!) on the trip back to the ship. Definitely worth the trip.

You can climb in a skirt, but it was also windy and in May was quite cold.

I wore pants and then slipped the skirt on over my pants.

Squat pots and a skirt...

they were disgusting, and I can tell you right now wearing a long skirt and trying to balance and not touch anything...

is NOT easy.

BTW, pack your own TP

We were on Peter Deilmann's Deutschland a few years ago. We docked in Volos and buses took us to Meteora. I think it was closer to two hours each way. The trip was wonderful, roads good and very twisting and steep once you started the mountain climb to see the monastaries. Such a sight perched on those cliffs. On top of one of the mountains in the distance, there was a man playing Amazing Grace on the bag pipes and the haunting sound filtered through peaks and valleys. We had a wonderful lunch at a hotel in Meteora, a little time to shop and then most of us slept(nice vino with lunch!) on the trip back to the ship. Definitely worth the trip.

I suspect the Azamara will use the same service as PDD. What type of bus was used to transport you? A big bus with comfy seats and a washroom onboard or a small shuttle type of bus with hard seats and no washroom? If the latter, I will probably opt to rent a car and drive myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived