Superb snorkeling

EscapeFromConnecticut

On the 12/4 sailing of Grandeur of the Seas, we were afraid that snorkeling was wiped out ... the Grand Cayman stop was dropped in favor of Key West.

But we opted to try at Cozumel, and it was a great decision. Outstandingly clear water, and an absolutely ungodly number of fish.

We booked the "bike, snorkel" excursion through Royal Caribbean. Octavio, the guide from Pelicanos Tours who met us at the pier, was first-rate all the way -- enthusiastic, energetic, knowledgeable, trustworthy, competent and likeable. Can't do better than that.

A cab took us to a bike rack nearby, and Octavio's partner, Manuel, loaded our gear into his pickup while we selected bikes. The ride from there to the beach was good -- all on the shoulders of roadways, with Manuel driving slowly behind us to keep traffic at bay. The route is thoroughly flat, so the only challenge was the age of the bikes and the heat of the sun. Nothing insurmountable at all, but a decent workout.

Changing rooms and clean facilities were available at the beach, and Octavio and Manuel got us set up with good equipment. (And even prepared the fresh-from-SnorkelBob's prescription mask that I'd brought from home). We went out to a reef in roughly 15- to 25-foot depths, and the water was almost as clear as a pool. Fish were as colorful and abundant as we'd seen at Hanama Bay in Honolulu, and possibly even more docile ... schools of them came right up to us without fear. In an odd way, the ocean floor looked a bit like the Saguaro desert outside Tucson. An absolutely beautiful sight.

We swam out along the reef area, then turned in toward shore for a look at the coral. Octavio was scrupulous about ensuring that we understood contact with the coral would be bad -- for both us and the coral. We snorkeled back VERY horizontally, cruising about 2 to 3 feet above the sand and coral.

Pelicanos provided plenty of fresh fruit and water at the beach, we changed and saddled up for the ride back. Octavio took us on an off-road adventure that was LOTS more scenic than the trip out ... it was another hot ride, and we made a very welcome stop at a cenote with clear, cool water. It was absolutely deserted and tranquil. What a terrific spot -- might as well have been 50 miles from civilization, but of course, it was just yards from the road and not at all far from the pier.

I'd recommend this outing to anyone. (Though if your ship has a late departure, it might worth skipping the markup at the ship's excursion desk, and arranging the trip directly through Pelicanos).

Hi Don, my husband and I are going to Cozumel for a week on January 22nd. We have a timeshare and were able to trade into the Reef Club Cozumel. I enjoyed reading your review of your excursion. Do you remember the name of the beach/reef where you snorkeled that you compared to Hawaii? We love to shore snorkel in Maui (so many sites), but the flight from NC is just getting too much for us, price and distance. We have been on several cruises and continue to search for a place you can shore snorkel that is as good as Maui. Thanks for any further information.

Hi Don, my husband and I are going to Cozumel for a week on January 22nd. We have a timeshare and were able to trade into the Reef Club Cozumel. I enjoyed reading your review of your excursion. Do you remember the name of the beach/reef where you snorkeled that you compared to Hawaii? We love to shore snorkel in Maui (so many sites), but the flight from NC is just getting too much for us, price and distance. We have been on several cruises and continue to search for a place you can shore snorkel that is as good as Maui. Thanks for any further information.

ga2279,

Your trip to Cozumel means you're in for a treat -- enjoy!!

Wish I had specific info on where we biked to, but the best I can estimate is that we ended up around the Chankanaab region.

Grandeur docked at the southernmost of the three cruise ship piers, and we headed south from there ... began with a very short cab ride south to the Pelicanos bike rack, and then we biked southward for about a half hour. We stayed on the road that hugs the coast ... even though the terrain is flat, I can't imagine we covered a lot of ground 'cuz the bikes were pretty old & the sun was pretty hot. We kept a moderate pace at best.

So looking on a Cozumel map, I'd estimate the reef was somewhere near Chakanaab, and certainly no farther than Yucab.

The spot where we stopped was a very modest building along the water -- it had a tiny restaurant, an outdoor shower and snorkeling equipment rentals. This wasn't at all a crowded or touristy beach. As a guess, perhaps near the southern tip of Chakanaab? We went straight out from shore, and when we were over the reef we began snorkeling northward & parallel to the shore for about a half hour ... then returned (but way closer to the shore, in water so shallow that you need to focus on 'staying horizontal' to avoid contact with the coral).

Hope that helps, at least a bit.

Maui sounds fantastic. We've loved Oahu snorkeling, and last year got out around Poipu Beach in Kauai. :)

Pelicanos uses the beach area right by Uva's beach club...right outside the northern edge of Chankanaab. It is further south than Dzul Ha and is a great place to snorkel. Clear Kayak also uses the same area.

Pelicanos uses the beach area right by Uva's beach club...right outside the northern edge of Chankanaab. It is further south than Dzul Ha and is a great place to snorkel. Clear Kayak also uses the same area.

is there an easy entry from uva's beach club for snorkeling?.. and do they rent equipment there?.. thanks for the info

• 2 weeks later...

:D Thank you Don and Caro for the snorkeling information. We are leaving in 10 days. I booked us a car today with Budget through Travelocity. They had the best prices. We are getting really excited. It's folks like you that make the trip more fun. We have a timeshare and I'm hoping this will be the place we return to year after year. GA

• 3 weeks later...

:D Don, we're back from trip to Cozumel. I'm pretty sure the place you went was Dzul Ha. It was fantastic !! We parked just North of the Dzul Ha grill/snorkel locker rental place. After we checked out here, that's the only place we went, also that's where the cruise ship tours go too!! If we got there before 10:30AM, we had it all to ourselves, but it got crowded after that....had to keep checking that a "glass bottom boat" wasn't coming alittle too close. We went to Uva's also, but it was much newer (grill, etc.), plus the coral wasn't as good. Thank you so much for the information. I had Dzul Ha (a.k.a. Palmer Estate, across the street) as one of my must-see sites, and it paid off! We've finally found somewhere as good as Maui for shore snorkeling, but I did get sick :( on Thursday of a Saturday to Saturday stay....well that's the price ! We're headed off for a cruise to the western Caribbean on 2/13, which has Grand Cayman as a stop. I've already found a place mentioned on the boards within walking distance from the cruise ship pier which is suppose to be very good. Take care and stay warm! :) GeorgeAnn

Archived