Bringing a camera to Hartley Helmet Dive

allaboard99

I’m going to Bermuda next week and plan to take the Hartley Helmet Dive. I was wondering, should I bother to bring a digital camera? Or should I buy a disposable underwater camera instead? I was hope someone out there who’s been on the dive would have a recommendation. Thanks in advance.

We brought an underwater camera. It's not the disposable one, it's a cheapie 35mm film one, that we borrowed from my brother-in-law. We took a few photos on the boat with it (had to get one of us modeling the wet suits). Then, my husband had it looped over his wrist while underwater. He got some pretty good pictures with that camera. We bought the professional photos, on a disc, from the tour company. Pricey, at $40...........but worth every penny. How often can you have pictures of yourself holding a fish?

You'll have a wonderful time on this excursion!

We brought an underwater camera. It's not the disposable one, it's a cheapie 35mm film one, that we borrowed from my brother-in-law. We took a few photos on the boat with it (had to get one of us modeling the wet suits). Then, my husband had it looped over his wrist while underwater. He got some pretty good pictures with that camera. We bought the professional photos, on a disc, from the tour company. Pricey, at $40...........but worth every penny. How often can you have pictures of yourself holding a fish?

You'll have a wonderful time on this excursion!

do you have to wear a wet suit??

do you have to wear a wet suit??

wet suits are mandatory, i hear, in the winter months. we last cruised to bermuda in july and no wet suits were required. water temps are around 83 in the summer, falling to 75 in october. even in july, it was darn cold underwater! you're down there for a good chunk of time. i wore a long-sleeve rash guard shirt over my one-piece swimsuit and i was chilled.

as for cameras, i brought a cheapie disposable underwater camera and got pretty good photos from it. mike hartley has a great pro underwater camera with a stronger flash, so you'll most likely get sharper photos by purchasing photos from him. it's kinda dark down on the reef floor.

We just did this awesome dive last week. Worth every penny!

We did take a disposable underwater camera on the boat but decided to leave it up top after ordering pics from Greg Hartley. We didn't want the distraction of taking pics from the experience. His pics are great plus you get many more pics on the CD from him, even historical ones from the days of his dad starting and running the business. Worth the money.

I did have my digital camera for pics while on board the boat. Beautiful scenery, incredible color of water, family shots on board and even one of Greg's orientation talk.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you so much for the reply.

One last question, it seems like from the last response that there is a place to store stuff onboard while the dive take place. How does that work... are there lockers?

No lockers. We just stashed our stuff under the benches on the main deck. Everything was fine. Have a marvelous time - it's a great adventure!

Archived