Auto Tips

Terpnut

We just got off a 20-day HAL Med cruise. During the cruise, and as expected, the system automatically assessed $11 per person each day (so $44/day for our family of four). As we were getting ready to debark on our final morning, I looked at our final bill and only then I noticed that all the $11 per person per day service charges had been "reconciled" into four individual $120 service charges. In other words, we expected to pay $880 in tips (i.e. 4 x $11 x 20 days) but only actually paid $480 (i.e. 4 x $120) on our onboard account.

As I didn't have a chance to ask the front office staff before debarkation, does anyone know why this might have happened? Did HAL make a mistake? Did our cabin stewards, wait staff and other staff get shortchanged?

We just got off a 20-day HAL Med cruise. During the cruise, and as expected, the system automatically assessed $11 per person each day (so $44/day for our family of four). As we were getting ready to debark on our final morning, I looked at our final bill and only then I noticed that all the $11 per person per day service charges had been "reconciled" into four individual $120 service charges. In other words, we expected to pay $880 in tips (i.e. 4 x $11 x 20 days) but only actually paid $480 (i.e. 4 x $120) on our onboard account.

As I didn't have a chance to ask the front office staff before debarkation, does anyone know why this might have happened? Did HAL make a mistake? Did our cabin stewards, wait staff and other staff get shortchanged?

I can't answer your questions ... what you describe sounds abnormal and, if you used a credit card for your onboard account, don't be surprised to see a HAL charge for $880 rather than $480. If HAL can charge after the fact for a bottle of water, for instance, I'm guessing they can recapture the extra $400.

Was this possibly for one segment of the B2B with the other segment with the other segment showing the $11 daily? The $120 is odd since it doesn't come out to $11 per day for any number of days.

That word reconciled suggests an adjustment. Had you asked for a reduction for the kids?

I am also curious about that word "reconciled".

Did you ask for a reduction for the children?

That $120 per person per day doesn't work out to be $11 per day per person. Love to know how they came up with that amount.

I never requested nor wanted a reduction in the tips. And since all the $11 service charges disappeared all at once at the end, I assume someone "reconciled" it--probably in error? Is it possible that my travel agent prepaid some gratuities, or there was a special somewhere on tips? If so, I was never aware of this.

Archived