Amalfi Coast Cruise

CTGirl

Has anyone ever done the Amalfi Coast Cruise while on a tour from Naples? Princess offers 2 tours featuring Sorrento, one includes a drive along the Amalfi Coast and the other includes a cruise along the coast. Otherwise the tours are very similar. We are thinking of doing the one with a cruise. Would we be missing out on any must see things by doing the cruise instead the drive?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

I've not cruised along the coast before, but I have done the Amalfi coast drive and I would say that the drive is not to be missed. It's some of the most gorgeous scenery ever, which you can certainly see from a different perspective when you cruise the coast. However, to me, part of the thrill of driving the coast was the drive itself through these small little hillside towns on these very old narrow roads. It's the fun of watching the cars try to pass each other and what happens when they come upon each other. It's great fun. You also get a great view of some of these towns you drive right through.

If you do take the drive though, sit as close to the front as possible and sit on the right hand side of the bus!

Good luck whatever you do

I never miss an opportunity to post some very negative thoughts on the cruise line Amalfi Coast bus tours. Yes, it is fine for those that want to see the coast and part of Italy from a bus window. But, the jewel of the Amalfi Coast is the city of Positano (Amalfi and Ravello are also very nice). Positano does not allow any tour bus to enter their windy one-way street, so the tour buses can only stop above the city and let their passengers look at the gorgeous cliff-side city down below. If you take a private tour using a car or van (of if you rent a car) you can drive down into Positano and actually enjoy the shops, cafes, atmosphere, etc. We have also seen some of these tour descriptions mislead folks who do not read very very carefully. Often they will say something like "you will see the amazing city of Positano" which means just what it says... you will "see" the city but not from within.

Hank

how long does it take to go from Sorrento to Positano? I am taking a cooking class in the morning and wondering if it can be done in the afternoon/? thanks Judy

I have driven that route in about 45 min. But, the actual time really depends on the traffic since all the roads are 2 lanes.

Hank

Has anyone done this by themselves? We are going in August - and thought about taking the ferry to Positano and back again. Our cruise ship will be docked in Sorrento. The Rick Steves guide book suggests taking the bus one direction and ferry the other - but cautions that the bus may be too filled up coming from Amalfi and could leave one stranded in Positano. Any experiences with doing this excursion on your own would be appreciated.

Has anyone ever done the Amalfi Coast Cruise while on a tour from Naples? Princess offers 2 tours featuring Sorrento, one includes a drive along the Amalfi Coast and the other includes a cruise along the coast. Otherwise the tours are very similar. We are thinking of doing the one with a cruise. Would we be missing out on any must see things by doing the cruise instead the drive?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

CTGirl, Just to let you know.

I have posted a request on the Princess thread asking a similar question. Having already signed up for Boat ride/ Pompeii tour, I have been searching for information on the boat ride portion, to no avail. So I thought I would try my luck posting it as a Princess question.

Archived