Cave Tubing - cold?

love2sailaway

I have heard that the water is really cold while going through the caves and you can be freezing during your whole tubing time. Any comments from those who have done this?

The water is not what I would say cold but refreshingly cool. No seriously though it was not that cold and we went the end of November and it had just rained an inch and half the day before we did it.

I'm one of these women who is always cold. We went in late October. The water was chilly a bit, but, at first, felt great after hiking the jungle trail to get there. But, honestly, I wasn't uncomfortabley cold as we floated through the caves. It's mostly your bum that's in the water, anyway, (through the hole in the tube), and your hands if you want to paddle.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back. I am one of those people, who once I am cold, I have a hard time warming up. Once we got in the cave, I was cold and remained cold until we were out. I was shivering, but DH was fine and was laughing at me the whole time :p

I think it just depends on if you chill easily, stay cold, and don't mind being cold. Once we were out of the river, I was fine again

We are going in Sept. and wanted to know what did you bring with you? A towell, a change of clothes, or your money & stuff? What did you do with it while you were floating down the river? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Everything stays locked up in the bus/van that you got there in. Don't bring anything with you for the cave-tubing (unless you have a waterproof camera). When you are done, there are rest rooms where you can towel off, change clothes, etc.

But what about your passport & sail & sign card? Is it ok to be locked up and not with you? I don't want anything to happen & us not have our passports. Any suggestions?

If you are concerned about that you can always get a waterproof pouch. They sell them in different sizes and types. We just left our stuff in the bus and everything was there when we returned.

We just got back from cave tubing on 8/6.

We had the same concerns re: security, and brought our wallets & SeaPass cards with us in a ziplock bag in our pockets. A waterproof bag would probably have worked better. However, I don't think you will have any issue leaving it on the bus - most of the folks in our group did this.

As for the cold, I am also one that gets cold easily, but did not have a problem at all on the day we went. Yes, the water was cool (so not like getting into a tub full of warm bathwater ;)) but it was not a problem for me, other than feeling briefly chilled at the end when we got out, from being in the water for so long.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived