touring beunos aires

smiles3340

Hi All:

We're going to be in Buenos Aires for 1/2 a day before we board the Oceania Insignia on 2/22/10. Does anyone know a good tour guide. Or alternatively has anyone booked a 1/2 day tour that they'd like to share.

Cheers....Smiles3340

This may not be for everyone, but -- we walked. I read that BA was a good "walking city", and I took them up on it. Our hotel was centrally located near Plaza San Marcos, just off Florida Street, the pedestrian-only street. We walked on Florida Street to the Plaza and back, then went the other direction, on our first half-day after arriving and checking in. That evening, we walked up Florida Street to a corner where there was a live Tango street performance. The next day, we walked about 2 to 3 miles to the Recoletta Cemetery, then walked back along the tracks to the port area. We walked around the end of the port waterway (sort of a long, narrow marina area), up one side, across the pedestrian Woman Bridge, got some ice cream, then walked back to the hotel. Along the way, we saw a variety of monuments, a fantastic, giant stainless steel flower that follows the sun, lots of shopping, beautiful boats and many neat restaurants.

That evening, we walked back to one of the restaurants that appealed to us, and saw a variety of street vendors and performers. We were careful to stay in touristy areas and never felt unsafe, not did anyone get close enough to us to pick my pockets.

Our hotel included a private car to pick us up at the airport and take us to the port for embarkation, so on the next day, we relaxed with a good breakfast at the hotel then were taken to the ship.

It was a fair amount of walking, and it was hot, but our hotel (the Claridge) had a nice outdoor pool where we cooled down each afternoon.

As I said, not for everyone, but we would rather see fewer things at a walking pace.

In a half day, you would likely not be able to walk much more than Florida Street. Taxis are everywhere and cheap; I would consider going to the cemetery, the nearby stainless steel flower, then out to the historical district, which was just a bit too far for us this time. That would be plenty in a half day.

We're going to be in Buenos Aires for 1/2 a day before we board the Oceania Insignia on 2/22/10. Does anyone know a good tour guide. Or alternatively has anyone booked a 1/2 day tour that they'd like to share.
Agree that BsAs is a walking city & that Buenos Tours provides an excellent experience. The company is owned & operated by Alan Patrick, a young British ex-pat who has lived in BsAs for several years. He offers well-planned walking tours (full-day or ½-day) as well as side trips into the surrounding countryside. He’s well versed in the history & culture of Argentina & shares his knowledge enthusiastically.

In March/09 we did his full-day walking tour (with a bit of local transit including the historic Line A subway) to see the principal highlights: City Centre; Plaza de Mayo; Casa Rosada; San Telmo; Monserrat; Plaza San Martin; Avenida 9 de Julio; Retiro; and Recoleta Cemetery. Along the way, we stopped for hot chocolate & churros at Café Tortoni, empanadas at El Sanjuanino and ice cream at Volta. We had an outstanding (albeit exhausting) day with Alan Patrick & can highly recommend him.

• 3 weeks later...

If I might suggest, if you can arrive a couple of days earlier and go to Iguazu Falls. It was the most memorable part of our 30 day cruise around South America in Jan 09 on board the Oceania Insignia

DEAN

Archived