How many appetizers and entrees do you eat?

Food is one thing I look forward to on the cruise. I've never been bashful when it comes to dinner in the MDR. If something looks tempting, I order it. Even if that means ordering 2 or 3 appetizers and 2 or 3 entrees.

I'm not a glutton by any means (but I can eat quite a bit sometimes), but I just think cruising gives me an opportunity to try things that I typically wouldn't try at a normal dinner in a restaurant.

Does anyone else do this?

I generally order one item per course but I've been known to order two appetizers or two entrees on occasion. It's usually because I want to try something and I find out that I actually don't like it.

Of course, I've also ordered two lobster tail entrees but I'm quite capable of putting some food quantities away. I actually don't consume as many calories on the ship as I do at home and wind up losing a pound or two each time I cruise.

I always order a 'side bowl" of truffled, wild mushroom fettuccini along with the beef entree'. I wish they would have it on a night when I didn't like anything else!:o

I do the same thing! Isn't that the greatest pasta dish? But, I gotta have my beef, too.....:D

Keep in mind that most people don't eat like this on a regular basis. I know that for myself, part of the cruising experiance is the food, and being able to try new things. Now if people ate this way all the time....Ugh :eek:

As for the original question....as much as I can fit in my belly, plus a little extra. I'd hate to have to order room service in the middle of the night because I got hungry!! MMMM...Lobster night!! I can taste it already!

Unfortunately, more and more people in the US are eating like this on a regular basis! That's why the following is true:

-- Between 1962 and the year 2000, the number of obese Americans grew from 13% to an alarming 31% of the population.

-- 63% of Americans are overweight with a Body Mass Index (BMI) in excess of 25.0.

-- 31% are obese with a BMI in excess of 30.0.

-- Childhood obesity in the United States has more than tripled in the past two decades.

I'm a nurse about to begin a formal education in obesity treatment, so forgive me for stating these unpleasant facts, lol.

That said, most of what is described here sounds like vacation splurging. However, as it relates to the guy who ate 15 lobsters, that's not "splurging," that's gluttony, plain and simple.

I agree with others about waste. I like the policy described here of ordering several dishes to be shared family style. That way, everyone gets to taste a variety of items, yet there is no gross waste of food and the temptation to gorge onself is reduced.

That is actually the crux of this thread.

Over indulging on holiday is aonce/twice/three times a year luxury, but ordering for the sheer hell of it and not eating it is nothing short of criminal and is truly my pet hate.

I have the added problem in October. After 7 nights on the Mariner (Lobster Tails 'n All) I go to Vegas for 5 nights buffets.

I have lost 70lb so far this year.

Expect 68 of them to go back on in a 12 day period

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on your weight loss, I know how hard it is. You know what you have to do and over-ordering isn't on the list.

I have no idea how people can eat so much. I have one appetizer, I prefer salad but cruise ships generally don't serve great salad :rolleyes: One entree, one dessert. I will take one savory bite and tell the assistant waiter not to come by me again, sometimes I pass completely on the bread.

I've learned a couple of things about eating too much cruise food (for myself) over the years. First off, it always looks better than it tastes, kind of like the dessert case in the grocery store. Secondly, my digestive tract gets too upset if I eat a lot of sauces and fats. I don't care to feel sluggish or sick to my stomach while on vacation, so I've found if I stick close to my usual eating habits/food choices I feel much better. I'm not skinny by any standards and still I cannot eat as much as some people state here. I just hate standing up from the table with that overstuffed feeling.

I stay away from the buffet as much as possible. A person really should be using food for fuel and just because it is "all you can eat" is no reason to gorge yourself at any meal, there will be more food later.

If there is a great chocolate cake in front of me I love it and can eat a huge slice, but cruise ship chocolate cake is fortunately....eh....for me.

Our last cruise was a 13 night Italy/Croatia and while the food at dinner was fine, after about the 5th night we got tired of it. We started to order only grilled fish, salads and sorbet or sherbet for dinner. Breakfast and (some) lunches we ate our usual, cottage cheese or yogurt with fresh fruit or oatmeal, a simple sandwich and salad and fruit at lunch. Lunches were mostly off the ship, how can you not eat Italian when in Italy??? We didn't gain an ounce on that 19 day trip.

Food is one thing I look forward to on the cruise. I've never been bashful when it comes to dinner in the MDR. If something looks tempting, I order it. Even if that means ordering 2 or 3 appetizers and 2 or 3 entrees.

I'm not a glutton by any means (but I can eat quite a bit sometimes), but I just think cruising gives me an opportunity to try things that I typically wouldn't try at a normal dinner in a restaurant.

Does anyone else do this?

I normally eat one portion while cruising per meal and not always desert.

Never gained weight on a cruise due to all the activities and walking.

One of the worse experiences we have had cruising was being seated with a couple at a larger table....he ordered 3 appetizers, extras, 3 meals and 2 or 3 desserts...then ate like a pig in a trough with no table manners. Sounded like it....and tried to talk to us with his mouth full.

Next cruise the 5 of us sat at our own table and had a great time. So that has been our plan ever since. If I wanted to go to an eating contest I wouldn't be dressed up in the dining room of a cruise ship.

"One of the worse experiences we have had cruising was being seated with a couple at a larger table....he ordered 3 appetizers, extras, 3 meals and 2 or 3 desserts...then ate like a pig in a trough with no table manners."

I think we were seated with this guy on one of our cruises. As you said, he ordered at least 3 of everything and was very demanding of our servers, expecting all of his food to be served before anyone else at the table. One night I had order one of the same appetizers and when the waiter gave me mine first he had a mini-fit and the waiter explained that he always served the ladies at the table first. This was beyond this guy's scope of thinking. He was a nice guy, but he sucked up all the attention of the wait staff with his demands.

This was a 14 night cruise and somewhere around day 11 I got tired of eating!

I almost always have a chilled soup in addition to an appetizer and ocaissionally have salad too (remember when they were separate courses?) However, I always oder just one main course.

Archived