Valpariso to Santiago

CarolynS

We are booked on Star Princess, 12/22/09, Rio to Valparaiso. We want to spend a day in Santiago and, so, will not use the cruise transfer. What are the alternatives to get from the port to Santiago and how much do they cost? Any tips on getting from Rio airport to city and from city to cruise terminal would also be appreciated.

I would love to hear from others who will be on this cruise. I am new to Cruise Critic and just learning my way around. I was not able to find anything on "Roll Call" but I may be using it incorrectly.

We are booked on Star Princess, 12/22/09, Rio to Valparaiso. We want to spend a day in Santiago and, so, will not use the cruise transfer. What are the alternatives to get from the port to Santiago and how much do they cost? Any tips on getting from Rio airport to city and from city to cruise terminal would also be appreciated.

I would love to hear from others who will be on this cruise. I am new to Cruise Critic and just learning my way around. I was not able to find anything on "Roll Call" but I may be using it incorrectly.

I looked and there is a roll call for your cruise...listed under "Star Princess 12/22/09 Rio to Santiago". There's not many postings thre yet but you could post your questions there as well...plus meet some of your fellow travellers. Go to Roll Call, click on that, then click on Princess Cruises, then click on Star Princess, then scroll down and find your thread for your cruise. It will be a ways down the list because no one has posted there in several days...but it is there! Good luck and let me know if you need any more help! And welcome to Cruise Critic...once you get used to moving around on the site I'll bet you will become as addicted to it as the rest of us are! LuAnn

Carolyn --

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There is so much information available here about Valparaiso/Santiago options that it will take you a while to get through it. I wholeheartedly suggest that you search out the old posts; they are full of info from people who might no longer being following this forum. You still have plenty of time to make your arrangements for guides and tours, etc., so don't feel rushed.

Another source of information here is in the roll calls from last season OR in roll calls from the coming season. Don't limit your reading to just your roll call but check out all of the roll calls that are doing the same ports of call: NCL Sun, Celebrity Infinity, etc.

Celebrity offered a number of transfer/tours on disembarkation day that ended at the airport. See what Princess is offering. There are independent guides that off the same thing.

If you are a do-it-yourself kind of travelers, you will find info here about how to get into Santiago from Valparaiso by public transport or how to rent a car.

Hope this all helps get you started,

Andrea

Are you planning on staying in Rio the night before or joining the ship from the airport. We arrived the night before and stayed in a hotel.

We pre-booked an airport transfer before leaving home, but it wasn't there. So we booked a taxi from the booths in the arrivals hall (we didn't use the kiosk with all the pretty girls frantically waving at you as you leave the customs area), but the "official" taxi service where we pre-paid our trip by credit card before we left. The driver was in a BIG hurry but it was fine. Taxi next morning was organised by the hotel who negotiated the rate (probably upwards!, but I recall it being about $15).

Santiago and Valparisio are a long way apart, good hours drive on a highway with the airport being about 3/4 of the way along towards Sanitago. We booked a private tour with About Chile who showed us round, dropped us at our hotel and the rest of the party at the airport. Wouldn't hesitiate to use them again, very proffesional.

Enjoy your trip!

Hi Carolyn

Glad you made it into the 'cruise critic world' which I recommended:)

Here's the rollcall for your sailing: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=998290

When we disembarked in Valparaiso we were met by a tour/ transfer company who took us to some nice vineyards for wine tasting en route to Santiago airport. It was pretty neat. We were ok with traffic but we had been warned that there can be serious delays in both directions - so don't cut it too fine.. Sorry but can't remember the company name, but some research here or just by googling might find you something.

Good luck and welcome to cruise critic again:cool:

Alex

Archived