Will sales tax increase mean higher cruise price?

Ok, so I know there are Port taxes, State taxes and other taxes that get added onto your cruise fare...For those of us in states that are increasing their sales tax (in MA, we're going from 5% to 6.25% tomorrow) will this effect the taxes we pay for cruises? I dont know if the "state taxes" we pay on the fare are sales tax, or something else?

If it is sales tax, is it based on the tax rate in place upon booking or upon sailing? I think it must be based on rate at booking, because they cant know for SURE what the rate will be when you sail, especially if you book well in advance.

I booked last night and am wondering if I saved some money, or if I was charged more as my cruise is in Sept....or if I should perhaps book my next cruise today to avoid the extra tax? I know its not much, but if you were planning one anyway and have the $$ for the deposit, it might be worth it?

I might just be doing all this thinking for nothing :) hah

Ok, so I know there are Port taxes, State taxes and other taxes that get added onto your cruise fare...For those of us in states that are increasing their sales tax (in MA, we're going from 5% to 6.25% tomorrow) will this effect the taxes we pay for cruises? I dont know if the "state taxes" we pay on the fare are sales tax, or something else?

If it is sales tax, is it based on the tax rate in place upon booking or upon sailing? I think it must be based on rate at booking, because they cant know for SURE what the rate will be when you sail, especially if you book well in advance.

I booked last night and am wondering if I saved some money, or if I was charged more as my cruise is in Sept....or if I should perhaps book my next cruise today to avoid the extra tax? I know its not much, but if you were planning one anyway and have the $$ for the deposit, it might be worth it?

I might just be doing all this thinking for nothing :) hah

And you are !!!

Sales Tax has NOTHING to do with your cruise fare.

So what are the "State taxes" that we are charged?

It should be port charges/"Gov't taxes" and fee's. Unless there is some pre cruise hotel you purchased where sales tax may be included.

Look at your invoice and provide the specific breakdown and perhaps could help some more.

Port charges are included in the cruise fare and then there is a line for "taxes"...I was told they were "state and government taxes". I've always accepted that taxes were taxes and never gave it much thought, but with the sales tax increase, I figured it was worth pondering.

Glad to know its nothing to wonder about any longer...

Port charges are included in the cruise fare and then there is a line for "taxes"...I was told they were "state and government taxes". I've always accepted that taxes were taxes and never gave it much thought, but with the sales tax increase, I figured it was worth pondering.

Glad to know its nothing to wonder about any longer...

Those are Government taxes....from the various ports of call you are visiting, has nothing to do with "Sales Tax" !

Stop worrying and go have a great cruise !

Those are Government taxes....from the various ports of call you are visiting, has nothing to do with "Sales Tax" !

Stop worrying and go have a great cruise !

Oh, you dont have to tell me to do that, no worries there! ;)

Unfortunately this sales tax issue DOES effect many other things, but of course we'll get used to it. It's just*wonderful* to have the double and triple taxing of goods :rolleyes: I do have to say I would rather pay higher sales tax than higher income tax though!

Anyway, I dont want this thread to turn into a rant on taxes...thanks for the info :D

Concur with previous posts that sales tax has nothing to do with your cruise fares.

Just want to point out that if your ship is docked in state of Washington (e.g. Seattle) for the Alaska cruise, state of WA does hit you with the sales tax on all liquor and retail purchases while the ship is docked and within the State’s Water area. So that means your sail away drinks will be slightly more than the other drinks you have later on during the cruise.

Concur with previous posts that sales tax has nothing to do with your cruise fares.

Just want to point out that if your ship is docked in state of Washington (e.g. Seattle) for the Alaska cruise, state of WA does hit you with the sales tax on all liquor and retail purchases while the ship is docked and within the State’s Water area. So that means your sail away drinks will be slightly more than the other drinks you have later on during the cruise.

Glad you chimed in on that issue as I was going to mention that if you are in Florida and do any drink purchases or onboard purchases while the ship is docked... there will be state sales taxes added to the bill. Wait till out at sea to make those purchases !

LOL...somehow I KNEW you were from Taxachusetts when I read the title of this thread! They are bleeding us dry. Our wonderful governor was at my DH's work the other day. He got to meet him but would not let me go cause I wanted to ask some questions...but he did tell me that alot of employees did not leave their work areas to attend...they were too p#ssed off!

LOL...somehow I KNEW you were from Taxachusetts when I read the title of this thread! They are bleeding us dry. Our wonderful governor was at my DH's work the other day. He got to meet him but would not let me go cause I wanted to ask some questions...but he did tell me that alot of employees did not leave their work areas to attend...they were too p#ssed off!

So what sales tax are y'all paying right now ? Groceries, meds or just on all purchase ?

Here in our area 7% has been around for a long time. Perhaps we are lucky ?

I guess it will be for y'all to enjoy the Sales Tax Relief this weekend which I think is a complete joke !

Sorry for going off topic.

Well, we are still under 7%, which I guess is good :confused: though 7% vs 0% in other states doesnt look so good, right?

Anyway, we were 5% forever, now we're up to 6.25%, and the exemption for alcohol has been removed, so now we have to pay the 6.25% on alcohol, up from 0% tax at purchase (taxes were and still will be built into the price-ie DOUBLE TAXATION)

AND-no more sales tax free weekend...:(:(

Our sales tax is 8.25% on an ever increasing number of things. Groceries and some labor is excluded, and we still have a weekend of tax-free purchases on items under $100. It is a boon for many folks here with low income and several children to outfit for school.

Of course any polititian who would dare suggest an income tax :eek: must be looking foward to retirement!

Don't come to CA in you want to escape the tax.

Out here, we have 9.75% sales tax - with NO tax holidays whatsoever. Some concept does not exist out here.

On top of that, 9.3% personal income tax at the top tier.

And yes, we are still broke with $26 billion budget shortfall.

Which by my rough calculation, it's around $700 for every men/women/child in the state that they need to either extract the additional from from us in form of tax or make similar cuts. So for a family of 4, that's $2,800 additional tax that needs to be paid if they want to balance the budget just by taxes.

Archived