Question about upgrades...

When the upgrade fairy strikes...does she usually call you, or will you find out at embarkation? My travel agent said that we have an 85% chance of an upgrade for our 31/08 Freedom sailing but no call from the upgrade fairy yet!

When the upgrade fairy strikes...does she usually call you, or will you find out at embarkation? My travel agent said that we have an 85% chance of an upgrade for our 31/08 Freedom sailing but no call from the upgrade fairy yet!

Calls go out approximately 2-3 weeks prior to sailing and they are supposed to start with those who have the most cruise credits and work their way down the list. There has to be at least 3 cabins available within a category when upgrading is done.

Unfortunately the upgrade fairy works her magic in mysterious ways..........so what is supposed to happen sometimes doesn't

Umm.......I'm not trying to rain on the tea party here, but I would not believe that statement from your travel agent. Sure upgrades can and do happen, but your travel agent has NO WAY to know if it will happen, let alone the odds for it. A knowledgeable TA should tell their clients that while upgrades are possible, they are not always likely, and that you should book whatever grade of cabin you are comfortable with. Many times, upgrades will happen most when there are a large number of cabin guarantees sold, the case being where there may be a large number of pax to be sorted and assigned a cabin to. I hope you get an upgrade, but your TA giving you the odds of getting an upgrade is not a very believable statement....:o

We received an e-mail about 12 days prior to our cruise. It said something about "enclosed if your requested cruise documentation". I had requested nothing but opened it to see we had been moved from a GS to a OS. Best news ever and a fabulous cruise! I called to confirm and was reassured that it was for real!

Hmmm, well we've been upgraded twice and not notified either time. The first time I was traveling with a gf and I noticed our upgrade when I went to do my online check in. The second time DH and I were celebrating our 35th anniversary. I had printed our set sail passes a week early as we were spending a few days in Universal Orlando prior to our cruise. We found out at check in that we'd been upgraded to a GS.

I have always gotten a phone call but more recently have begun calling about 2 weeks out to see where we are in the pecking order. I understand reading other posts on CC that non-D+ upgrades are handled differently.

Umm.......I'm not trying to rain on the tea party here, but I would not believe that statement from your travel agent. Sure upgrades can and do happen, but your travel agent has NO WAY to know if it will happen, let alone the odds for it. A knowledgeable TA should tell their clients that while upgrades are possible, they are not always likely, and that you should book whatever grade of cabin you are comfortable with. Many times, upgrades will happen most when there are a large number of cabin guarantees sold, the case being where there may be a large number of pax to be sorted and assigned a cabin to. I hope you get an upgrade, but your TA giving you the odds of getting an upgrade is not a very believable statement....:o

Thanks everyone for the replies. =)

Yep, I know it's not a very credible statement...but thing is...the travel agent is actually my relative who's booked the cruise in his name, but with us as guests. And as a travel agent, he's a seasoned cruiser. I dunno if that increases our chances of being upgraded or not...but wish for the best! lol

Thanks everyone for the replies. =)

Yep, I know it's not a very credible statement...but thing is...the travel agent is actually my relative who's booked the cruise in his name, but with us as guests. And as a travel agent, he's a seasoned cruiser. I dunno if that increases our chances of being upgraded or not...but wish for the best! lol

When I've booked GTY Guarantee Balcony I've gotten the Higher Cat Balcony but this was only 2 times so maybe I was lucky

There is just something so funny about "85%" chance!

Archived