How many traveling solo...

BlueC5Kitten

What's your preference for savings?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What's your preference for savings?

• Inside
    • Ocean View
    • Balcony
    • Suite
    • Other, explain below, please!

Karen, with a cruise of that magnitude, I believe I too would have to opt for an inside (having priced your cruise, after reading about it...most impressive with your decision to do it solo!!!), since there is no way i could comfortably afford to sail in a balcony on a 67 day cruise, otherwise (unless I started socking away money now and decided to wait until I retire to take such a maginficent cruise!!!). :D

I guess it is all relative...where your priorities are and what restricions there may be.

Cheers and Happy Cruising!

Lindnet and BlueC,

I will definately come back and post about my cruise. This morning I reserved my shore excursions so my cruise really feels like it's going to happen soon.

I worked with a Carnival cruise person (PVP) to get this pricing. I'm really hoping that, since there are so many new big ships out there, solos will be able to get decent deals in the future.

I'm also thinking about cruising over the Christmas/New Years holidays. The pricing is definately high for solos during this time. But I figure I'll throw in a visit with my brother in Florida so I'll probably make this trip happen.

Faith

I found a senior special for a balcony that was less than an inside cabin!

This will be my 3rd cruise solo, my 20 something cruise.

Ok you have my interest on this, how may I ask did you find that as I never seem to have that kind of luck:confused:

You know what Karen? I seriously just priced this trip for myself. It really is reasonable if I just go along for the ride and see what is "free" with a cabin, of course. What other incidentals do you think would be needed? I'm looking at doing the first half and flying back from Sydney. This has really got my salivary glands salivating. I am a simple traveler though and would be afraid I wouldn't have the right clothing to wear. Got to try to persuade the hubby. I'm worth it!

You know what Karen? I seriously just priced this trip for myself. It really is reasonable if I just go along for the ride and see what is "free" with a cabin, of course. What other incidentals do you think would be needed? I'm looking at doing the first half and flying back from Sydney. This has really got my salivary glands salivating. I am a simple traveler though and would be afraid I wouldn't have the right clothing to wear. Got to try to persuade the hubby. I'm worth it!

You mean the Grand South Pacific??? How cool! I didn't get ANYthing free with my cabin.......but you know where I am in the boat!!

As far as liking to travel simply.....I know of some on my roll call who don't even go to the dining room at all.....they don't like dressing up. There are only going to be 9 formal nights total......and the rest smart casual.....so clothes wouldn't be a problem if you didn't want them to be.

Indidentals? Hmmmmm...........our roll call has set up a LOT of shore excursions for MUCH less than HAL ones. The only other costs for me are going to be my internet time (hopefully going to do it in under 1000 minutes which is $250) and I am going to splurge for the unlimited laundry.....it is only $110 for a single....good price for 67 days!

You mean the Grand South Pacific??? How cool! I didn't get ANYthing free with my cabin.......but you know where I am in the boat!!

As far as liking to travel simply.....I know of some on my roll call who don't even go to the dining room at all.....they don't like dressing up. There are only going to be 9 formal nights total......and the rest smart casual.....so clothes wouldn't be a problem if you didn't want them to be.

Indidentals? Hmmmmm...........our roll call has set up a LOT of shore excursions for MUCH less than HAL ones. The only other costs for me are going to be my internet time (hopefully going to do it in under 1000 minutes which is $250) and I am going to splurge for the unlimited laundry.....it is only $110 for a single....good price for 67 days!

Quit it! I want it! I need it! I gotta have it! 401K here I come. Calling husband right now...cross your fingers! About how much for the excursions? Ballpark figure please.

Hmmmmm..........OK....you are talking for 1/2 of the cruise......LA to Sydney?? Those excursions are more pricey than the ones we have set up in the 2nd half.......but let's say about $1000 to do 11 ports. These include a lot of water activities with snorkeling. Many of these ports could probably be done just by walking around and touring the area on your own. We have a VERY active roll call......lots of information on there.

I just spoke to my husband and he said it would be best to wait until next year and he would go along. If he can't get off....guess who is definitely going! :D Thanks for the information. I am still so excited for you and you can give me "tips" on what to do and what not to do, your cabin, etc. Gonna go look at Holland's 2010 itinerary now. "Talk" later Karen. Whoohoo!

I just spoke to my husband and he said it would be best to wait until next year and he would go along. If he can't get off....guess who is definitely going! :D Thanks for the information. I am still so excited for you and you can give me "tips" on what to do and what not to do, your cabin, etc. Gonna go look at Holland's 2010 itinerary now. "Talk" later Karen. Whoohoo!

I am also CONSIDERING the 2010 Grand Asia.....looks like a good one. I followed several blogs of those who did it last year and the got me interested.

FIRST........I am going to be sure I like THIS one!! Being so long and going solo are things I haven't done before.

Wow...a marked savings over any of the other rates. :eek: But it looks like you have to seriously book into the far future since the last couple I looked up showed those were not available. Do you work with a PVP to get them if they aren't listed on the website?

I guess I must've gotten lucky with my upcoming cruise on the Liberty in October. I didn't book until the end of March (so only about 6 months out) and I was able to get a 1A with portholes! I was able to talk my BFF and her DH into going along but I'm super excited to have my own room (with portholes...YAY!)

I haven't given up yet Karen! I priced LA to Sydney portion, which is my most desirous, air included and it is less than $8K...I'll sleep on the kitchen racks!!!! Gonna tell my husband "you can't take it with you and if you go before me, then I want my portion NOW!:D:D

Not bad! Yes......you want your portion NOW while you are able to enjoy!!

I lived in Pennsylvania for 2 years while I was attending graduate school at Pitt! Small world......well it would have been smaller if you actually lived in Pittsburgh......!!

You ARE a last minute planner. I know you mentioned that before.....but I have had this trip planned since April of 2008!! There are only 37 days left now!!

Not bad! Yes......you want your portion NOW while you are able to enjoy!!

I lived in Pennsylvania for 2 years while I was attending graduate school at Pitt! Small world......well it would have been smaller if you actually lived in Pittsburgh......!!

You ARE a last minute planner. I know you mentioned that before.....but I have had this trip planned since April of 2008!! There are only 37 days left now!!

It's sounds more and more promising too. Just talked to hubby again. He said "we'll talk about it when I get home tomorrow"!! If I beg enough, I generally get to go, so keep your fingers crossed. I would have lots of catching up to do. Let's see: Collect more cans, scrap metal and roll more pennies. Whoohoo!

I have some coin rolling papers if you need some more. I even have a jar of pennies I was saving for my grandson when he gets old enough to know what money is. Hmmmm......but somehow I don't think you would take pennies from a 3 year old! :rolleyes:

I have some coin rolling papers if you need some more. I even have a jar of pennies I was saving for my grandson when he gets old enough to know what money is. Hmmmm......but somehow I don't think you would take pennies from a 3 year old! :rolleyes:

How much interest would he charge??

Actually, from the pictures, the inside cabins don't look so bad. Somehow I would have to figure out how to get my fan onboard, as I like a little noise (other than the tail end of my snoring, that is). I wonder if they all have that sofa?

How much luggage do you plan to take?

Archived