How many traveling solo...

BlueC5Kitten

What's your preference for savings?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What's your preference for savings?

• Inside
    • Ocean View
    • Balcony
    • Suite
    • Other, explain below, please!

Other

On Carnival, there are 1A cabins for single cruisers - 1 twin bed and a fold away bunk - that are significantly less expensive than an inside. On many ships, there are several towards the bow, way up front, that have two port holes. These are the ones I choose. They are not technically considered outside, but provide me with the day light I need.

But book them early, they sell out very quickly, and don't get it as a guarantee because only a few of them have the two portholes and you do not want to get "upgraded" to an inside cabin.

I always book an inside cabin since I will only be sleeping & dessing in there anyway it is a waste to spend more than is absolutely necessary.

Agreed - and that goes for cruises with double occupancy, too. It has nothing to do with the single supplement, just booking at the lowest possible price :)

I think the only time I'd splurge on a balcony would be on a transatlantic cruise, where there's lots of time to sit out on the balcony and watch the ocean go by...

I pretty much get an outside or balcony because I like the daylight. I just look for the best deal w or w/o single supplement and go from there. I've only ever travelled once inside and that was this past winter to the Mediterranean because I shared with my friend. Although we had a great time, I still prefer solo for my own privacy as I have my little quirks (snoring, sleeping in, etc.).

Thanks for the replies so far.

I've had balconies and an OV so far, and could not imagine ever going with an inside. I know some folks will only be in their room for dressing and sleeping, but I guess I have the need to see and feel the outside. I am big on "me-time" so when I am not sleeping or changing, I want to still be able to have a refuge for my psyche. The OV was a difficult experience for me, because I didn't want to spend some quiet time alone in my cabin; whereas, with a balcony, I am on my own private balcony a good bit during sea days (my cruises have been 5-7 days and usually there are at least 2 sea days), reading and enjoying a drink and the sound of the ocean on the ship's side. I even managed to take some photos of albatross on my last cruise that were hanging around the side of the ship.

I'm a very light sleeper and therefore feel the need to sail solo, so I can choose to have my room as far from the elevators as possible, and not have to worry about a snoring cabinmate, etc. but I really don't like having to pay x2 just so I can enjoy a balcony alone. :( Just didn't know if I was missing out on a way to get a more enjoyable cruise out of being solo. :) This is one of the best forums out there!

I found a senior special for a balcony that was less than an inside cabin!

This will be my 3rd cruise solo, my 20 something cruise.

Something for me to look forward to, I gather! Glad you found a good way to cruise economically! thumbsup.gif

I have to have a balcony, I can't do without the privacy and fresh air. In order to work around the single supplement, I cruise during traditional low periods, and, well, I don't cruise as often as I want, about every two years.

For my next cruise, I'm trying a 5-day out of Tampa instead of something longer out of FLL, hoping that if I take shorter, generally less expensive trips at a time, I can afford to go a little more often, say every year and a half.

I lucked out big on my Solstice cruise last December, it was one of a few additional itineraries tacked on prior to its first official maiden voyage. Celebrity only had about six months to fill the cabins, and I got a wonderful price. I always have my eye out for those admittedly rare situations.

And, like most of us do, I check the price of my cruise daily for any drops.

One does what one can. :D

I have to have a balcony, I can't do without the privacy and fresh air. In order to work around the single supplement, I cruise during traditional low periods, and, well, I don't cruise as often as I want, about every two years.

For my next cruise, I'm trying a 5-day out of Tampa instead of something longer out of FLL, hoping that if I take shorter, generally less expensive trips at a time, I can afford to go a little more often, say every year and a half.

RE: the traditional low periods, I think I am already hitting those by sailing in mid-January...most of the kiddos have gone back to school and the holiday cruises are all over.

Hmmm...I've thought about the shorter cruises, but I'm wondering if the overall cost per day is higher (as I have to fly into ports and stay at a hotel usually the night before)?

Hi,:) I cruise as often as possible and don't care about cabin

category. I usually book insides but sometimes I am able to afford

a window and far and few between I have had a balcony too.

2009 has been very good to me:D I went for 10 nights in January

and had a window:D......in April I went on a short 4 nighter and

had an inside.

And I leave on Sept 6th for Alaska and was able to get a window

on for this cruise as well.:)

Prices (even for solos) have been quite low this Alaska season!

Oh, I have a Caribbean cruise booked for January and that one is an

inside cabin.

Different strokes for different folks!:)

On Carnival, there are 1A cabins for single cruisers - 1 twin bed and a fold away bunk - that are significantly less expensive than an inside. On many ships, there are several towards the bow, way up front, that have two port holes. These are the ones I choose. They are not technically considered outside, but provide me with the day light I need.

Wow...a marked savings over any of the other rates. :eek: But it looks like you have to seriously book into the far future since the last couple I looked up showed those were not available. Do you work with a PVP to get them if they aren't listed on the website?

... Do you work with a PVP to get them if they aren't listed on the website?

Secret I shouldn't be sharing because it's going to tell you how to find the room on the Carnival site. And then it won't be available for me when I want to book it... But, that risk being considered:

From the Carnival site, pick the cruise you want. Then, go ahead and begin the booking process, answering how many people, what dates, and finally, click on one of the prices, anyone, doesn't matter. On the next page, to the right, click on explore stateroom categories. Scroll all the way down to the bottom, and you should see the listing for the 1A cabins. If it's not displaying, I already booked it (or someone else did) and it is no longer available. They do go pretty quickly.

There have been many threads here about the categories. Here's one of them: Your 1A Stateroom Guide (Everything 1A) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=839087

Enjoy.

And yes, I book early, already booked for next September.

Thanks for the insight...definitely something to consider next time I go solo and don't want to spring for the balcony or can't swing the total cost.

How you describe is how I looked for the rooms, honestly. I actually looked up a couple sailings for April of 2011, didn't figure folks would have them booked out that far, but it appears they do! One didn't have any of the port hole rooms left and the other had only one listed. shocked.gif

Just asked about the PVP because I know I recently saw a room, then the room disappeared, but I wanted that room...asked my TA about it and she was able to get it for me...wasn't sure if there was some special way to get the rate.

How's the ride up front there that close to the water?

Just asked about the PVP because I know I recently saw a room, then the room disappeared, but I wanted that room...asked my TA about it and she was able to get it for me...wasn't sure if there was some special way to get the rate.

How's the ride up front there that close to the water?

They, who ever "they" means, say that right up at the bow is a poorer location than mid-ship because you feel the movement of the ship more. Others have complained that when arriving in port, they can hear the docking noises such as the anchor being lowered.

My opinion is that the noise in the morning which I never heard would not bother me because I would either be awake watching the ship dock from out on deck, or would welcome the wake-up call to get ready to out to see the port. But I never heard it, and if I did, it certainly wasn't loud enough to attract my attention. If you visit the thread I mentioned earlier, someone wrote that they were actually able to hear the sound of the waves on the bow! I wasn't so lucky, but that would be amazing to me.

As for the movement, rocking, I have not been bothered by it while I was in bed. I was never in really rough weather with these cabins though, so, I'm not the expert. I actually enjoy movement of the ship while I am in bed.

I've only booked on-line or by calling the Carnival 800 number. I don't think I have a PVP. The trip for this coming September was done both ways. I started it on-line, but it wouldn't take. Kept getting an error msg. When I called, the room was held, frozen, it turns out by me. The agent was able to release it to me to make the reservation.

Just to repeat a warning, tell them that you don't want an upgrade, or if one if available, to ask you 1st. The 1A is a nice cabin with port holes. An "upgrade" could easily (and most likely) be to an inside cabin. That would defeat the purpose to me. You'd lose the day light.

The biggest problem with this cabin is that almost anywhere you want to go on the ship is a really long walk :rolleyes:

I've had balconies and an OV so far, and could not imagine ever going with an inside. I know some folks will only be in their room for dressing and sleeping, but I guess I have the need to see and feel the outside. I am big on "me-time" so when I am not sleeping or changing, I want to still be able to have a refuge for my psyche. The OV was a difficult experience for me, because I didn't want to spend some quiet time alone in my cabin; whereas, with a balcony, I am on my own private balcony a good bit during sea days (my cruises have been 5-7 days and usually there are at least 2 sea days), reading and enjoying a drink and the sound of the ocean on the ship's side.

That's exactly why there are different categories of rooms - everyone can get what they are looking for and have a great time!

They, who ever "they" means, say that right up at the bow is a poorer location than mid-ship because you feel the movement of the ship more. Others have complained that when arriving in port, they can hear the docking noises such as the anchor being lowered.

As for the movement, rocking, I have not been bothered by it while I was in bed. I was never in really rough weather with these cabins though, so, I'm not the expert. I actually enjoy movement of the ship while I am in bed.

The biggest problem with this cabin is that almost anywhere you want to go on the ship is a really long walk :rolleyes:

I have heard similar things about cabins higher up versus those that are lower and mid-ship...that you feel the motion more. I haven't really noticed any difference on the two classes of ships on which I have sailed. I too, enjoy the movement of the ship...especially at night when going to sleep...it is like being rocked to sleep! I would probably be one of those with hearing things though. I have been accused of having supersonic hearing by my ex-b/f and family. I am a very light sleeper, as a general rule, too.

As for the long walk, well, I do that regardless, since I typically have a cabin pretty far forward no matter which deck I am on...makes for less chance of being downwind of smokers and keeps me farther from the elevators and the noise they bring (not the elevators themselves, but the rowdies that congregate in the hallways waiting for them). :)

That's exactly why there are different categories of rooms - everyone can get what they are looking for and have a great time!

Yes, I am aware of that; however, was just wondering if there was an economical way to obtain a balcony (since that is my preference) without a cabinmate (also my preference), which it appears there is not.

If there was an economical way to get a solo balcony, there'd be a lot more solos out on the balcony. I take advantage of anything that reduces the overall price of my cruise, rather than focusing on the amount of the single supplement. Thinking about the supplement will only drive a body crazy.

I've been booking OVs for many years because I thought I wouldn't be happy in an inside, but I tried one on my last 3 day cruise and it wasn't as bad as I remembered it to be. Of course, having a clock and using room service helped alot. Now I'd definitely consider doing it again if the price difference was substantial enough. I just can't justify spending the extra money for a balcony since I'm rarely in my room and being out on deck is fine for me when I want fresh air.

I usually book an inside guarantee and hope for a visit from the upgrade fairy. She's granted me a couple of outside cabins, but never a balcony.

I also book the 1A on Carnival.

Roz

Hi Karen, great thread!! :D Hope we get to cruise together again someday!

I have booked one of the 1A porthole cabins on the Conquest in Jan., so I'll let you know about the noise issues. I also "hear everything" and sleep very lightly. I do have to say I'm a little worried, after reading about the loud banging of the waves hitting the hull. But for every person that mentions that, there are people who say they didn't hear that. The bow thrusters and anchor noises won't bother me on port days, I want to get up early anyway!

If there was an economical way to get a solo balcony, there'd be a lot more solos out on the balcony. I take advantage of anything that reduces the overall price of my cruise, rather than focusing on the amount of the single supplement. Thinking about the supplement will only drive a body crazy.

Indeed...which is why I never really gave it too much thought until recently, since I am sailing solo again this coming January. After reading a bit on the boards, I noticed that more people were trying to get a bigger discount on the "single supplement"...guess I never really thought of it as a supplement, just the cruise lines' way to ensure they get the $$ for the capacity of the cabin. I have found that I can get $160 off a balcony on Carnival with my Discover Card Cash Back Bonus Awards...so that is how I am swinging it this year. Fortunately, I travel a good bit for work, so oftentimes my airfare the hotel for the night before sailing are paid by frequent flier miles and hotel stay points, so overall, I guess $1200 for a 7 day crusie isn't terrible.

I've been booking OVs for many years because I thought I wouldn't be happy in an inside, but I tried one on my last 3 day cruise and it wasn't as bad as I remembered it to be. Of course, having a clock and using room service helped alot. Now I'd definitely consider doing it again if the price difference was substantial enough. I just can't justify spending the extra money for a balcony since I'm rarely in my room and being out on deck is fine for me when I want fresh air.

How many 3 day cruises do you book in comparison with 7 day cruises? I only ask because I think I would be okay in an inside cabin or OV with a shorter cruise...so was considering that as an alternative...but to date, I think my shortest cruise was 5 days (the one I took OV).

Hi Karen, great thread!! :D Hope we get to cruise together again someday!

I have booked one of the 1A porthole cabins on the Conquest in Jan., so I'll let you know about the noise issues. I also "hear everything" and sleep very lightly. I do have to say I'm a little worried, after reading about the loud banging of the waves hitting the hull. But for every person that mentions that, there are people who say they didn't hear that. The bow thrusters and anchor noises won't bother me on port days, I want to get up early anyway.

Hiya Linda!!! bounce-2.gif Glad to see you are back at cruising! I remember you were slated to be on the Valor with us this past January. How's the kitten? How's the job thing now? Definitely let me know about the 1As on the Conquest...since that would be my most likely ship on which to experiment with it...since it is in Galveston and all. cheers2.gif

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts on the matter! I am glad to know that there are some like-minded folks and what my alternatives are!

I'm amazed I'm getting ok deals cruising solo these days. For me the reasons for this is that I'm ok with inside cabins and that I try to cruise during the less popular times.

When I first started pricing cruises out of NY in June I found no good deals--probably too many families cruising in early summer. But looking at ships for a Sept cruise I found 3 with 7 day roundtrip itineraries. I booked a porthole cabin for a Sept cruise on Carnival for $700--this is my best deal ever.

Sometimes I cruise over the Christmas/New Years holidays because this is when I have time off from work. I've learned that, since this is a popular time to cruise, I'll either need to pay the higher prices or not go.

I figure that cruising in balconies is the same story since the cruise lines can get top $ for the balconies most of the time.

Faith

Fortunately, I travel a good bit for work, so oftentimes my airfare the hotel for the night before sailing are paid by frequent flier miles and hotel stay points, so overall, I guess $1200 for a 7 day crusie isn't terrible.

I think that's pretty gosh-darn good at $171/nt for a solo balcony!

Archived